Virgin bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
I'm curious how many people would be open to buying a 2 or 3 year old bull with calves on the ground to show or do you only buy virgin bulls?

I'll only sell bulls that I'd be whiling to use myself so what better way to prove that. It's hereford bulls that I'd be using on commercial angus.

I'm curious how many people would be open to buying a 2 or 3 year old bull with calves on the ground to show or do you only buy virgin bulls?

I'll only sell bulls that I'd be whiling to use myself so what better way to prove that. It's hereford bulls that I'd be using on commercial angus.
I just sold a 2 and 1/2 year old bull. i didn't need him any longer. he got a great bull at a great price....and he didn't have to pay 3k to 5k to get him.

I've bought both. Our first "calving ease" polled Hereford we bought was a long yearling virgin. He ended up being 2300 lbs, way too big and his calves were huge. Our current bull was a non virgin with semen and trich test behind him, was almost 3 and 1700 lbs when we bought him and he hasn't grown. I would rather have him any day, and knowing he was basically grown when we got him we've had no surprises on his calf sizes because there was already a history established.

We have bought several older bulls that we really liked their calves. The best example of this is the Simmental bull 600U. Leachman didn't know how good he was until he had some calves on the ground and they bought him back.

The problem with buying an older bull is you have to have the facilities to handle them. When they are at their home place they get into a familiar routine and don't cause trouble. We unloaded an older bull we bought and he took out 3 fences before we knew what happened. The other thing is you need to quarantine them and get them tested. Also, Vibrio and Lepto vaccine right off the truck.

Jorgensen Angus in SD sells a ton of bulls after they have been out on lease.

Good luck.

Depending on what you want do. We have bought both. This was our virgin he is a baby. I don't have a picture of the other bull at the moment. He lives across the county at my maws farm right now. Our other bull is around 4 we got him with breed cows. My mom bought the rest of what the guy had breed cows and cows with babys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-180450_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211028-180450_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts