Companion Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

seedlady

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience running two bulls together in a herd; separating them with one bull in two different herds for six months; then bringing them back together in one herd? We are losing some rented pasture and will be putting some cows together to make one larger herd for spring calves and keep two separate herds for fall calves. Before I buy bulls raised together, I'd like to know what will happen if I separate them after one breeding season.

Probably some pushing and fighting. The closer they are to the same age and size the more fighting as they try to determine who is the top dog. The most bull fights I ever had was two half brothers who were raised together from calves.

We've had them play fight and had them go 13 rounds. All depends. The worst I've ever seen was a mature Charolais and a mature red Angus. They got together through a fence sometime in the night. Both were the color of mud, ears swelled, eyes swelled shut. When I found them they were standing fifty yards apart. Both talking dirty, but no one was willing to go fight anymore.

We used to have 10-12 bulls all in separate pastures all summer. Bring them home in the fall and throw them together. It was like an all out bar fight for a day or two. Then they would be good all winter.

When you put them back together make sure there is plenty of room and good fences. Most will fight to reestablish pecking order. Like someone else mentioned, there will usually be less fighting if pecking order is obvious, such as a yearling bull with an older larger bull. Sometimes bulls that have been living together peacefully for awhile will decide they want to change the pecking order. You will end up with fights between bulls that were formerly good buddies.

We once hauled two equally matched 6 year old bulls that had gotten along great most of their lives, to the facility in our county where several sale barns pick up cattle and haul them to the sales. They were put in the same pen, and apparently sometime before the driver arrived, they turned on each other. Probably because of cows brought in later and unloaded nearby. Those bulls tore the pens apart and the partnership that owns the pens and scales at the collection facility weren't happy. I would have felt guilty if one of their members had not been there when we unloaded. He was the one that ran the bulls into the same pen. I would have probably done the same thing, since these guys had been together their whole life without trouble, but I'm sure glad it wasn't me.

When you put them back together make sure there is plenty of room and good fences. Most will fight to reestablish pecking order. Like someone else mentioned, there will usually be less fighting if pecking order is obvious, such as a yearling bull with an older larger bull. Sometimes bulls that have been living together peacefully for awhile will decide they want to change the pecking order. You will end up with fights between bulls that were formerly good buddies.

I don't know if there are good enough fences. I once saw a bull trying to get away from another one go through a 2 x 6 board fence like it wasn't there and turn it into kindling. Maybe 2" pipe would have held him.

Did I mention it's even more fun when the neighbors bull busts through the fence to join the party? And stays for 3 weeks? 2 of the 4 ended up with bald spots from head butting, but no serious injuries. Pound for pound, it was a pretty even fight all around.IMG_20210901_180058928_HDR.jpg

My neighbour has two bulls that he pulls from separate paddocks after Xmas, they have a bit of an argy bargy but then quit but you will usually see them at opposite ends of the paddock, that is until the cold frosty mornings get here when you find them cuddled up together.

Ken

Some used to say to use an odd # of bulls in multisire and it worked better. I don't know. I read to pour some apple cider vinegar on a bull's back before you put him back with other bulls after the breeding season and they would not fight. I tried it this year. Apparently the bulls did not read that article.

I don't know if there are good enough fences. I once saw a bull trying to get away from another one go through a 2 x 6 board fence like it wasn't there and turn it into kindling. Maybe 2" pipe would have held him.
Guard Rail. 6' high, hung on 14-16" diameter hedge posts .

My bulls are raised behind 2 strands of hot wire and I can put them in adjoining paddocks and they may fuss but never get close to the fence.
But if I raise 2 bulls together and then turn them out with the cows seems they always want to fight.

Did I mention it's even more fun when the neighbors bull busts through the fence to join the party? And stays for 3 weeks? 2 of the 4 ended up with bald spots from head butting, but no serious injuries. Pound for pound, it was a pretty even fight all around.

My Hereford bull got together with a neighbor's big Brahman a few years ago. I expected that Brahman to whip my Hereford pretty bad, but the opposite was what happened. I guess the lower center of gravity on the Hereford made the difference.

My Hereford bull got together with a neighbor's big Brahman a few years ago. I expected that Brahman to whip my Hereford pretty bad, but the opposite was what happened. I guess the lower center of gravity on the Hereford made the difference.
Did you get a bill for a damaged bull?

I've had good luck bringing a new bull in to a pen beside the other bulls for a few days before I turn him all the way in with the group.

I'm going to try pouring the acv down their backs this year just for the fun of it. 😄
You'll be the only one to get any purpose from it! :oops:

You can't tell much in this picture but the white bull was a whupped puppy when I took the picture. He wanted in with the beefmasters and swam a canal to get to a fence where the beefmaster bull is standing.
peewee.jpg

White bull outweighed the red bull about 600 lbs but he never stood a chance.

The char swam the canal, climbed his front 1/2 up on the bank but still had his back 1/4 in the water when he hit 5000Volts.
Knocked him arse over teakettle and he rolled hooves up in the water and came out muddy and probably a bit embarrassed if bulls have that emotion.

Latest posts