Pulling back a Angus steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
We currently have two 4-H show steers. We just finished showing at the Commonwealth Classic and were suprised at their weights. We weigh them constantly at our local farmers trucking grain scales and they are waaaayyyyy off ( by approx 100 pounds). One of our steers can hold the weight and will probably go to final show around 1425. The other one is a different story. He is short in height and length. he is currently 1240. Im thinking 1300 should be his weight without looking well overfinished. We have 42 days go. He was at 22lbs a day. We are now at 20lb and plan to reduce to 18lbs by weeks end. He is bellowing like no tomm. Anyone know of a filler easily available? Tried to get cotton seed hulls from our local Sou. States but would take 3-4 weeks to get any.. A member on here told me about Beef Commodity Blend not sure the mix ratio.Thanks on any info.

Beet pulp should work but it pretty expensive. Expands tremendously when wet. 8% protein, high fiber, no carbs.

I'm not sure of your location and we only have heifers. However, we have used Purina Depth Charge Sunglo Full Tank and Beet Pulp as fillers and had success with all of them.

Lomac":2ulfnyg5 said:
If i can get my hands on either what would the ratio look like to what I'm feeding now?
You're only needing to gain less than 2 lbs. per day til show time. HEck I'd probably just give him about 15 lbs. of a cheap creep pellet plus some hay.

Oh ok..so your saying pull him completely off the grain mixture we are feeding ( cracked corn, soy, timothy, mollasses and medication) and feed straight pellets 15lbs a day.

Lomac":1zzsiec5 said:
Oh ok..so your saying pull him completely off the grain mixture we are feeding ( cracked corn, soy, timothy, mollasses and medication) and feed straight pellets 15lbs a day.
I would. NO more than you're wanting it to gain no need for the expensive feed. Just go with something moderate. If you don't feel comfortable with that dilute the "hot" feed 50:50 with the inexpensive creep.

Latest posts