Pulled a BIG calf

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Had the hardest pull so far this spring. Noticed this heifer a few days ago was walking rather stiltedly. She was not very comfortable that's for sure. And sure enough, she had a darn big calf in her. Haven't weighed it yet, but I think over 100# (we bought her bred) Nice quiet heifer and easy to handle, so was no prob getting the chains on. But the two of us pulling couldn't get it so we hooked on the calf puller. Good healthy calf, was trying to breathe before we got his head out. Got him out past the ribs, and gave them a rest. He was breathing and bellering, but, the hips were stuck. And she wouldn't go down. Finally got her down. Twisted him a bit, and out he popped. He's been up, had over a litre of colostrum into him. She really doesn't want much to do with him, but then who can really blame her ;-) . She'll come around I am sure.

I also know how you feel, I bought 3 registered angus heifers, and the first to calve, I had a bull calf. I had to pull him, he weighed 93 pounds. The next heifer calved and she had a 71 pound bull, now tonight the last heifer calved it looks like a 80 pound give or take bull, but I will weigh him tomorrow, after school.

Latest posts