Pull two rakes

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Does anyone pull two rakes? Iam wanting to hook two new Holland rakes together to speed up raking. I have a 258 with the dolly wheels and also have another regular 258.

First thought is your acreage.....is it large enough and of the geometry to let you use 2 rakes? I had 2 JD rakes, 561 and 562 or something of the sort, both with dolly wheels and a drag bar for interconnecting. One raked left and the other right discharge. Making a V out of the combo made for a bodacious WW. Really a time saver if the little details didn't complicate things and cause you to waste the time you would have spent anyway with a single.

Yes, I have been doing this for many years, I have two of these bridge hitches, one I made from an old tractor wide front end and the other a bought hitch. I use NH258 and NH260 rakes to put two windrows together. They work great, the only downfall is no one but me can rake with them as you must steer the back rake on the ends to follow the front one then open it back up to rake the next two windrows.

I think Meteer in IA made my boughten hitch.

For me it makes raking fun and a challenge, which makes it go faster because your busy.

You can buy a pretty good set of towed wheel rakes for around $2000 to $3000. They work very well. look up a Vermeer wr22.

Dad had a NH 258 and a IH 35. The IH 35 had dolly wheels. He had a something like a 5" pipe fitted to the back of the 258 in which a 4" or whatever size slipped inside. Couple holes drilled where you could extend the hitch for the 35 to follow to the side of the 258. Raked two 9 ft windrows into one. Delivers to one side which is ok with a square baler, but with a round, the windrows tend to flare making it difficult to get both ends packed equally.

I picked up a set of the JD rakes with a dolly like texasmark had. Can't remember the numbers either. I can rake three 9 ft windrows into one it I set the flap on the haybine right.

hurleyjd said:
You can buy a pretty good set of towed wheel rakes for around $2000 to $3000. They work very well. look up a Vermeer wr22.

I have never heard anything good about the WR22. Do you like them? I have seen several of them for sale for around 1500$ here.

I would like to get a 10 wheel Kuhn speed rake but hate to spend the money.

pricefarm said:
hurleyjd said:

I have never heard anything good about the WR22. Do you like them? I have seen several of them for sale for around 1500$ here.

Cant comment on the WR but have used a VR1022 for 3 years now.

It works well. Not so good in tight turns.

A couple things I don't like, it has tiny hydraulic hoses and takes too long to raise/lower, and I wish they had a pivot in the main arms. You have to flip the tongue around for big and small tractors, if it's set low on a small tractor hay will slip through the back wheels.

It will plug from time to time in really heavy stuff but that's seldom an issue here.

pricefarm said:
hurleyjd said:

I pulled one for years and still have it. I bought new wr1022 three years ago and this year I got to close to a gate post and bent the wheel arms, my local weld shop repairs them for me. But they could not get to it over the weekend. I aired up the tires on the wr22 and raked the place I was planning to bale. I really had no problem with the wr22 when I bought the wr1022 which had ten wheels versus the wr22 with 8. The wr22 is the same as a Tounati which if red vs yellow for the Vermeer.

Latest posts