Pull drill with a P/U?

Help Support CattleToday:

bman4523

Reaction score
Got to wondering, if I am over-seeding a coastal pasture with Rye grass is it possible to pull a grain/seed drill behind a 4wd truck? trying to come up with a means to overseed without having to rent or buy too many pieces of equipment (tractor, seed spreader, harrow)
Any ideas on how to over seed on a budget? I plan on purchasing about 1200lbs of annual rye, do some seed dealers have equipment that can be rented to put the seed down effectively? I am in Comanche county Texas.

It will work but it needs to be one of the old mechanical raising and lowering types, not hydraulic. Something like the old John Deere/Van Brunt FBB. The openers on and FBA don;t work except in tilled ground.

The local feed stores in my area sell fertilizer in bulk and furnish the distributor free of charge, it will hold 5 tons, they will mix the seed with the fertilizer , that way you seed and fertilize in one trip. I have pulled the distributor with my 4 wheel drive. I just finished planting my wheat, oat mixture in such a manner.

Hmm, maybe one could pull the distributor with a harrow dragging off the back of that? Is there a nitro formulation that will slowwwww release all the way into spring if I put it down now?

bman4523":12ehg80a said:
Hey Cowboy, any of those dealers near Comanche?
thnx bman

Haven't been to Comanche in a couple of years but there used to be a dealer east of downtown Comanche on the main highway and another a few miles north on the Dublin highway. There maybe others listed in the yellow pages.

Be sure to ask for a ground drive spreader buggy as some buggies require a tractor with pto to operate the spinners. The ground drives have everything powered by the buggy wheels and don't require a pto so you can pull it with a pickup.

Try to do something,anything, to cover up the seed. Pull some chain link fence weighted down with tires behind the truck. You are spending a lot of money on seed to hope it works on top of the ground. You also need to time it with impending rain.

I am not familar with Comanche area, you might check with Co. Agent or some fertilizer dealers in the area.

Douglas":2lt0afr9 said:
Try to do something,anything, to cover up the seed. Pull some chain link fence weighted down with tires behind the truck. You are spending a lot of money on seed to hope it works on top of the ground. You also need to time it with impending rain.
Depends on his location and how much thick forage cover he has already. I broadcast it here and get really good results as long as the ground is wet, but may not this year, as I have more grass than in years past. I've never disk, drug it or anything else, but I try to broadcast it while it's misting rain--or about to..

I have seen a cone type spreader with a 12vdc elec motor to drive the rotating vanes, but have no idea if they work or not. They pull them with a 4 wheeler here--and clip the leads to the 4 wheeler's battery. It looks like it wouldn't hold over 100# at a time tho.

You could get you one of these to pull with your four wheeler.
Spreader4.jpg

circlew":6luu7bvh said:
You could get you one of these to pull with your four wheeler.
Spreader4.jpg
Best hope your ground is smooth. A lot of weight up top and those little tires is just asking to tip over.

Dun your probably right. I've never used one but I have been around them and they look a lot stouter than the picture lets you believe.

Check with your county FSA office , here in Pa. some counties have no till drills to rent , but you would need a tractor to pull it.

Check with Watson's feed in Hamilton. I know they have the equipment but not sure about cost to rent.

Latest posts