PTO types pros/cons

Help Support CattleToday:

T&Lfitz

Reaction score
just looking for some pros/cons between the differences of Live versus Independent pto's thanks for all of the help. or does it make any difference when buying a tractor?

T

The only time I see a significant advantage of live PTO is when I'm brush hogging or cutting hay. That's only because I have to manuever into some pretty strange and awkward spots.

dun

Is it the live pto that keeps running as long as the pto lever is engaged?

On an old Farmall I had, every time I pushed in the clutch to change gears to go around corners or turn around, the mower would stop spinning until I let the clutch back out.

The Kubota I have now with the auto transmission is much better to me, as the mower keeps spinning as long as the pto lever is engaged, no matter the speed of the tractor.

The clutch has basicly two positions. The bottom most position declutches the pto the intermediate postion declutches the transmission. That's live pto.

dun

that is what I thought the difference was between a Live/independent PTO so alot all depends on the users preferences I would guess, and most newer model tractors come pretty standard with an Independent PTO, I think a few of the tractors such as a Mahindra, some MF tractors depending on model, and a couple off brand tractors have Live... I appreciate all of the replies. But I think that the Independent PTO is the way for me to go. When I was younger I know it was a problem with a LIVE PTO when it cam eto turning because I was always too heavy with the foot and I caused the PTO to shut off either shearing pins or stopping up the brush hog, which created a very valuable learning lesson for a young man, that thought he knew everything.. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts