Constant Velocity PTO shafts

Help Support CattleToday:

damengineer

Reaction score
Anyone have an easy way to hooku up one of those CV shafts to the tractor? My old NH baler had jus t your s tandard PTO universal joint. My new Vermeer has that big joint with the safety cover that is as big as the front tire, and weighs as much as the back one. Sometimes I can tie a rope to one side ofthe lift arms and run it under the shaft and back up over the other lift arm and hold the shaft up. Most of the time it takes 2 people to hook up. Lord help you if you need to slide the shafts back together after pulling them apart... There as to be a better way...

I don't know of any tricks.

Both our 604 Pro baler and JD HX20 have those heavy CV joints.

I usually pick them up, sort of hang them on the end of PTO shaft, and then reach around and spin the shaft until the splines line up while supporting the joint. You'll need to shut the tractor off, since most have an automatic PTO brake.

A ratchet strap may work pretty well.

I put the PTO shaft in the crook of one arm,
knell behind the draw bar,
align the shafts and squeeze the locking collar with the other hand.

Our Bushhog has one and they are a bugger bear to hook up. If there is any dirt at all in the splines it makes it really difficult. Maybe hooking a 1" ratchet strap to the 3pt top link and cradling the shaft would help. You could move it up with the ratchet to get it lined up and then mess with the pto shaft and locking mechanism. Sometimes ours is easy sometimes I'm cussing the sun by time I get it hooked up.

Our Bushhog has one and they are a bugger bear to hook up. If there is any dirt at all in the splines it makes it really difficult. Maybe hooking a 1" ratchet strap to the 3pt top link and cradling the shaft would help. You could move it up with the ratchet to get it lined up and then mess with the pto shaft and locking mechanism. Sometimes ours is easy sometimes I'm cussing the sun by time I get it hooked up.
Ya I'm not familiar with that baler but any time I hook a pto up I clean both sides, then oil them, and oil the shaft where it slides. A few minutes doing that pays dividends in swet and muscle trying to hook up IMO.

I guess my real question is why do we need them?? We made out for many many years without them. I ran tractors for 40 years before they had them and I don't remember tearing up a lot of drive lines. I also could replace a shaft for less than $100 too. Now one of those CV shafts is over $1000

I guess my real question is why do we need them?? We made out for many many years without them. I ran tractors for 40 years before they had them and I don't remember tearing up a lot of drive lines. I also could replace a shaft for less than $100 too. Now one of those CV shafts is over $1000
You answered your own question at the end.

CV shafts turn sharper ,vibrate less, and cost more. An added plus is that they are way harder to hook up!!! A must have for ranchers everywhere.

Latest posts