PTO Shaft question???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Got a good deal on a post hole digger. Previous owner, let the PTO shaft, lay on the ground. I'm afraid the end that hooks to the tractor, hopelessly froze/rusted shut.

What's the best fix for that? It has, what I would consider the "modern type" hookup. You twist the retainer.

Take the twist deal and throw it in the scrap pile... Hate those things.

You can try to get it freed up. Clean the rust out of the splines with a small wire brush. I've never tried to take one of those plastic contraptions apart so I can't help you there.

If it's beyond repair you can either just buy the yoke and swap it out or opt to replace the whole tractor end of the shaft. Neither should be hard to get.

I would take the end that is froze and stand it in a container of solvent - maybe acetone and power steering fluid mix -and let it soak for a couple of days. Every time I went by it I would tap on it with a hammer to set up some vibration in the rusted part. I have had some success using this method on frozen stuff,

Yep solvent, lubricant, wire brush keep working at it and it will loosen up, usually the rust is not too deep as those things have a fair bit of grease in and around them when in use.

Ken

Stood the end up in a mixture of ATF, and acetone. Good stuff. Seems to have worked.

Replacing the pto yoke and U-joint is pretty cheap and easy.
Push pin release is way more simple and less likely to corrode and freeze up between uses