Proven female makers

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletalk

Reaction score
I would like ideas from those who have more experience:
PROVEN sires to make females with as much thickness and mass as you can think of with good feet (and if that's a tall order, at least functional feet without soundness issues). I'm looking for sires who have given you cows with longevity and raise a nice one every year

I've never noted massive cows with extreme weight linked to longevity (feet, legs and fertility).
Yup, especially on hard range country. That's why I asked location. Crossbreeding increases longevity, (f1s) but hard to give useful recommendations without knowing which breeds. If he has Hereford cows recommending a Hereford bull won't do it.

Hoover Dam, CC&7 are the best all around ones I've used. Still have a couple 10 year olds that have yet to miss, can't say that about any others I've had.
I've heard good things about Nichols Extra K205. I had real nice cow that went back to his sire Nichols Extra H6 on the bottom side of her pedigree. Picture perfect udder good dependable cow, a little flighty but still manageable.

when I started to AI. the first 2 bulls that I picked were CC&7 and Extra K205. still have some of those originals and several offspring. can't say that I have had any feet problems with any of them.

Although it's fun to talk sires -- I've come to the conclusion this question begins (and perhaps ends) with the dam. Want good cows? Start with good cows. I've culled some beautiful cows because they wouldn't breed back. And I've kept some with poor structure because they breed back first time/every time, have their calf suckling immediately and raise a big calf.

But to the question -- I'd second Hoover Dam. I have some heifers from a HD grandson Raven Powerball that look like they have potential -- though they are a little small frame wise. Absolute has produced some good cows for me -- though again a bit smaller than I'd prefer. I've heard of good longevity from Byergo Angus and I do have some daughters of Black Magic that so far look the part, but time will tell.

Last edited:
I would like ideas from those who have more experience:
PROVEN sires to make females with as much thickness and mass as you can think of with good feet (and if that's a tall order, at least functional feet without soundness issues). I'm looking for sires who have given you cows with longevity and raise a nice one every year

Just a thought... It's been my experience that it's easy to find a great bull, and then damage his influence on your herd because you don't have the females it takes to support his effect.

Of course we don't know what you are beginning with. Do you have a mixed bunch of commercial cows with no consistent type? Or have you already got a good start with a consistent herd?

@Jeanne - Simme Valley has some deep, fleshy, and consistent animals and she could probably point you to some good AI bulls.

Although it's fun to talk sires -- I've come to the conclusion this question begins (and perhaps ends) with the dam. Want good cows? Start with good cows. I've culled some beautiful cows because they wouldn't breed back. And I've kept some with poor structure because they breed back first time/every time, have their calf suckling immediately and raise a big calf.

But to the question -- I'd second Hoover Dam. I have some heifers from a HD grandson Raven Powerball that look like they have potential -- though they are a little small frame wise. Absolute has produced some good cows for me -- though again a bit smaller than I'd prefer. I've heard of good longevity from Byergo Angus and I do have some daughters of Black Magic that so far look the part, but time will tell.
Have 1 Absolute cow and am tempted to buy some semen on him. She is the right size, is deep bodied and kicks out a good one every year. Another one from a few years back is Mohnen Substantial, Stellar's sire. I could never figure out why Mohnens didn't seem to use him much.

I agree with you! I am mostly looking to mate a good donor cow who proved she should be a donor with her production in order to produce Angus females.

Travlr, Yes and yes. was trying to figure out if I can edit original post to say that. Maybe not possible

Travlr, Yes and yes. was trying to figure out if I can edit original post to say that. Maybe not possible
Yeah, I wish there was a way to edit and delete continuously... but no bueno.

There are some Angus people here, and I'm not, so you'll have to ask them. Good luck with your efforts.

And if you're going to be here talking to people, your location on your profile will help a lot.

I don't see @wbvs58 in this thread. Thought Ken would recommend GAR Ashland AAA# 18217198 !?
Well Moses. My 1st Ashlands are only due to calve this July, I am very happy with them as far as looks go but we will soon see what results they will deliver. I have a couple of Sydgen Black Pearls that have several calves under their belts and are doing a good job for me, a bit of frame, good feet and reliable breeding back.
I have stated before my GAR Prophet females I like and I have some tat have had several calves now and have bred back well right from their 1st calf even though they may be a bit hard doing at first but still raise a good calf.

Ken

S Right Time 7861 does as many things right in terms of maternal function as I have found. His pedigree speaks for itself in terms of longevity tracing to Right Time on all four branches of his pedigree. The Alliance influence doesn't hurt a bit either I don't see him siring the power females that the op talks about I would call them work and wear cows. The maternal disposition at calving coupled with really solid maternal calving ease are the traits I appreciate most.

S Right Time 7861 does as many things right in terms of maternal function as I have found. His pedigree speaks for itself in terms of longevity tracing to Right Time on all four branches of his pedigree. The Alliance influence doesn't hurt a bit either I don't see him siring the power females that the op talks about I would call them work and wear cows. The maternal disposition at calving coupled with really solid maternal calving ease are the traits I appreciate most.
W.B. -- we have the first crop of Right Time 7861 calves on the ground and they are 2 months old. Really like them so far, both the bull calves and heifer calves. Nice thick calves that are growing well. I didn't see Spicklers sell many or actually any sons in their bull sale. Was curious why.

Spickler ranch north raised him. They will be offering sons on their November production sale. His yearling and ultrasound data that has been turned in for the 2022 crop was very good. His mother has become an embryo donor at age ten. The bull himself will continue to see heavy natural use this summer after spending the winter in collection at World West in Billings. Some very reputable breeders have calves on the ground by him. He made the front page of the ABS Australia sire book.

Latest posts