Female Production Sales

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
Here they come and we are gearing up! I want more heifers. Possibly a donor or two but I usually don't see those till bull sales? We are ALL IN on good donors, if they're proven and not burnt up. Told my hubby to whisper in our embryologists ear about that endeavor. He works for a lot of big names.

What we are building is a strong female herd, as I've mentioned before. I like PA (Peterson Angus) but they seem to have went ghost on the internet and texts?! Website down, FB gone, no return on texts. Kinda scary, no transfer of 3 heifers I bought back in late March. Bigger sale so I've been more than patient.

Can anyone recommend other operations we should take a look at? I'm not afraid to show some love to a smaller breeder as long as they're breeding towards what we have in mind.

Considering Linz Heritage. I'd love to travel that direction.

NEFarmwife said:
Here they come and we are gearing up! I want more heifers. Possibly a donor or two but I usually don't see those till bull sales? We are ALL IN on good donors, if they're proven and not burnt up. Told my hubby to whisper in our embryologists ear about that endeavor. He works for a lot of big names.

What we are building is a strong female herd, as I've mentioned before. I like PA (Peterson Angus) but they seem to have went ghost on the internet and texts?! Website down, FB gone, no return on texts. Kinda scary, no transfer of 3 heifers I bought back in late March. Bigger sale so I've been more than patient.

Can anyone recommend other operations we should take a look at? I'm not afraid to show some love to a smaller breeder as long as they're breeding towards what we have in mind.

Really! You have to ask! Tonya you live in the heart of Angus country. Any direction you go, you run into quality seed stock. I think you have to ask yourself what is your end game. Smaller outfits produce great cattle, but prefixes mean something. If you're selling seed stock it means something to have progeny out of Hoover, OCC, Mohnen, etc. But you can find outlier cattle a lot easier in smaller herds for a lot less money. At your size, I think you have the best of both worlds, buy from all and any. I look at operations that run the size and phenotype I like and feed them similar. I want frame 7 so I went to Rathbun and Crouthamel, who run that type of cattle and phenotype I want. Down the road I would love to add Thomas, Kessler and JR Ranch into the mix. These are outfits out here in the west.

CreekAngus said:
NEFarmwife said:

Really! You have to ask! Tonya you live in the heart of Angus country. Any direction you go, you run into quality seed stock. I think you have to ask yourself what is your end game. Smaller outfits produce great cattle, but prefixes mean something. If you're selling seed stock it means something to have progeny out of Hoover, OCC, Mohnen, etc. But you can find outlier cattle a lot easier in smaller herds for a lot less money. At your size, I think you have the best of both worlds, buy from all and any. I look at operations that run the size and phenotype I like and feed them similar. I want frame 7 so I went to Rathbun and Crouthamel, who run that type of cattle and phenotype I want. Down the road I would love to add Thomas, Kessler and JR Ranch into the mix. These are outfits out here in the west.

See! I hadn't even thought about Mohnen and I've liked what I've seen in their catalogues. Maybe I should look more towards SD. The Linz intrigues me.

Tonya: I listed those three because, they are east, south and north of you. To the west, that's just too darn easy. A guy could be stuck in Nebraska for a month going to all the production sales.

NEFarmwife said:
See! I hadn't even thought about Mohnen and I've liked what I've seen in their catalogues. Maybe I should look more towards SD. The Linz intrigues me.

Any operation that has a mounted head of one of their foundational dams hanging on the wall above their sale ring has got to know a thing or two about maternal cattle. Or they could just be from White Lake, SD. :D

Stickney94 said:
NEFarmwife said:

Any operation that has a mounted head of one of their foundational dams hanging on the wall above their sale ring has got to know a thing or two about maternal cattle. Or they could just be from White Lake, SD. :D

Thanks for the laugh! LOL. I have Spruce Mountain, Express, Linz, Mohnen, and Crouch Angus. Think that's a good start.

NEFarmwife said:

Buddy of mine is putting eggs in for Linz Heritage. Seem like good people. I think the LT Ranch let's some of their registered heifers go every fall. Call Brent up, he always gets back to you and I've seen the cattle. Top notch place.

CreekAngus said:
Tonya: I listed those three because, they are east, south and north of you. To the west, that's just too darn easy. A guy could be stuck in Nebraska for a month going to all the production sales.

Finding heifers are easy. Fall heifers, we'd not even hold over because we have a small fall herd already. I feel like we need to cycle through some donors. Our ET this spring was quite successful and we're going to have so many calves on the ground from our current donors already. So that seems to be my most difficult quest. Our embryologist may be our best bet. I want proven but were told to be careful of a donor being burned out.

NEFarmwife,
So what EPD minimiums do you have? Also have you thought about buying a flush from a cow instead of the whole cow?

sstterry said:
NEFarmwife said:
Our embryologist may be our best bet. I want proven but were told to be careful of a donor being burned out.

Can you explain what you mean by being "burned out"? Do you mean the eggs are less likely to take or be fertile?
Doing traditional flushes can cause cows to become infertile, my vet explained it to me last week, but it's beyond my pay grade. From what I understand IVF is much better for the cow.

CreekAngus said:
sstterry said:
NEFarmwife said:
Our embryologist may be our best bet. I want proven but were told to be careful of a donor being burned out.

Can you explain what you mean by being "burned out"? Do you mean the eggs are less likely to take or be fertile?
Doing traditional flushes can cause cows to become infertile, my vet explained it to me last week, but it's beyond my pay grade. From what I understand IVF is much better for the cow.

Burned out by means of flushing hard. Those hormones aren't easy on the lady parts. Some will flush a cow over and over without giving a real calf. We flush ours 2-3 times a year, let her rest 2 cycles, then knock her up. This year, the two we have will get flushed one time after fall calving, then be bred again with spring herd. We went really hard on embryos last year and had an ample amount for breeding this season. We won't need to flush 2-3 times again on our same donors. I'd like new (to us) genetics.

Latest posts