Proven female makers

Help Support CattleToday:

Getting back to the original point of the thread, why did the OP decide to build a herd by buying a donor cow and and flushing that donor cow to a single bull? Seems like an expensive way to put all your eggs in one basket.

I think there's a basic misunderstanding, perhaps instigated by what I posted about bull selection for specific purposes.

I don't mean to say that any bull I would use can't throw great heifers or superior weaning weights... both. What I'm saying is that I differentiate between bulls. In any group of bulls there are going to be differences. I don't care how many or what breeds or whatever... I'll evaluate them for specific needs and use them accordingly. A great heifer producing bull is still going to have a significant number of male progeny, so I wouldn't discount that fact, just as I wouldn't always discount the heifers from a bull that I intend for terminal calves. But if the bull performs as expected the terminal calves will be more likely to go to feedlots and those bred for replacements will be more likely to be held as breeders.
We can see a pretty good example of a dual purpose and dual body type breed in Shorthorns. And I like Shorthorns a lot. But it seems they get a lot of disrespect at the point of sale for no good reason, IMO. If you have a bunch of dairy type Shorthorns and put a beefy, muscle-maker on them you'll get calves that will do good as replacements and as terminal crosses. If you have the beef type Shorthorns you will get different calves depending on what kind of bull you select... just like with any other beef type breed.
You make a good point on "Terminal sired" heifers sometimes doing just fine as replacements and I just thought of some of the kids' clubbies. Terminal by definition but the ones we've retained ended up being damn good productive cows at the end of the day. Someone else said knowing your environment, input costs etc and they're right - production and breeding decisions are personal and one size does not fit all. And agreed one's own bulls tend to yield the best results.

Growth Fund is the example of a terminal bull in my opinion. The progeny I have seen have structural problems.
Thank you! I don't understand all the positive comments around this bull. They may have good growth but structure is consistently bad.

Getting back to the original point of the thread, why did the OP decide to build a herd by buying a donor cow and and flushing that donor cow to a single bull? Seems like an expensive way to put all your eggs in one basket.
No not exactly the case. I'm not sure what I said to the affect of only using one bull. But the goal of the donor is indeed to use her for her females. The flushing is definitely expensive-I agree there! The literal eggs aren't all in one basket; she's been flushed several ways. But there will be a few more IVF aspirations done on her before she's too far along in calf and was looking for some other potential ideas that in the end would I hopefully leave the best females (helping justify the aforementioned cost).

No not exactly the case. I'm not sure what I said to the affect of only using one bull. But the goal of the donor is indeed to use her for her females. The flushing is definitely expensive-I agree there! The literal eggs aren't all in one basket; she's been flushed several ways. But there will be a few more IVF aspirations done on her before she's too far along in calf and was looking for some other potential ideas that in the end would I hopefully leave the best females (helping justify the aforementioned cost).
Another one I have a few mature cows in my herd that have had 5-6 calves each is SAV Thunderbird, a Final Answer son. I guess I forgot about him as these cows are just no fuss, get the job done and fly under the radar which is what good cows should do.

Ken

I don't think anyone on this thread said you can't have both maternal and growth. Most of us do realize that we are better off from a maternal standpoint to not to maximize any single trait. We can see more improvement by breeding closer to the middle than trying to continuously select for outliers. The bell shape curve comes to mind on population genetics. As far as phenotype you and I are looking for different things. Please don't take it personally but we are looking as this quite a bit differently.
I don't take it personally as I doubt you have raised one head in my environment, in our low input management system or in our market. No one type or size works best everywhere for everyone. It looks like you are in SD. Completely different than where we are . In 2014-15 many breeders in this area learned the hard way that northern genetics don't always work here. Many paid high prices for northern genetics. Most culled 30-50% before their second calf crop. Most culled less than 10% on heifer of proven genetics in this area. If one of the reputable local breeders especially my neighbors told me they had found a different worked better I would listen. Many of the issues we have currently is the result of northern genetics. Hair shedding is one of them. They are great genetics in the environment and management systems they were developed in but not here. Again we will raise what returns us the most dollars per acre. Efficiency tests have shown cattle selected for this area consistently out perform AI sired progeny. I listen to those breeders who raise several hundred head in this area and in some cases feed them out. I feel they have a better idea what works here than you do.

Thank you! I don't understand all the positive comments around this bull. They may have good growth but structure is consistently bad.
I don't take it personally as I doubt you have raised one head in my environment, in our low input management system or in our market. No one type or size works best everywhere for everyone. It looks like you are in SD. Completely different than where we are . In 2014-15 many breeders in this area learned the hard way that northern genetics don't always work here. Many paid high prices for northern genetics. Most culled 30-50% before their second calf crop. Most culled less than 10% on heifer of proven genetics in this area. If one of the reputable local breeders especially my neighbors told me they had found a different worked better I would listen. Many of the issues we have currently is the result of northern genetics. Hair shedding is one of them. They are great genetics in the environment and management systems they were developed in but not here. Again we will raise what returns us the most dollars per acre. Efficiency tests have shown cattle selected for this area consistently out perform AI sired progeny. I listen to those breeders who raise several hundred head in this area and in some cases feed them out. I feel they have a better idea what works here than you do.
I in no way questioned what works best for you in your environment. I don't believe I have recommended a bull or sire line that would improve what you have. And yes most northern Angus likely dont do well in Okie country. I wouldn't want yours in a northern winter either. I think you are being a little over sensitive on my critique of a name bull. If you like him by all means it's a free country use him. Gosh I don't need anyone else's approval of the bulls I use.

I in no way questioned what works best for you in your environment. I don't believe I have recommended a bull or sire line that would improve what you have. And yes most northern Angus likely dont do well in Okie country. I wouldn't want yours in a northern winter either. I think you are being a little over sensitive on my critique of a name bull. If you like him by all means it's a free country use him. Gosh I don't need anyone else's approval of the bulls I use.
I could of critiqued a couple of the single trait, single function sires you mentioned. But I didn't. Then you tried to critique a sire you have never used and I assume you never intend to use. I just mentioned we are using his influence didn't ask for a critique from some who has never used him. I stated the verdict is out on him as a female producer but have seen 3rd calvers who are doing a great job with no issues in tough terrain. I am also trying some other bloodlines. We never put all our eggs in one basket. We have used different grandsons of Hoover Dam as they work good in our system and environment. Not perfect but better than anything we have used. Produce into their teens.