Protein blocks with urea?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdoramus

Reaction score
Just wondering if the protein blocks I bought the other day are not good for the younger calves because of the urea? Can you put out protein blocks in a field with both older cows and calves?

pdoramus":2ko8zewp said:
Just wondering if the protein blocks I bought the other day are not good for the younger calves because of the urea? Can you put out protein blocks in a field with both older cows and calves?

I don't think they will hurt. The main part of there diet is still moms milk. They will eat some and get used to it. When I fed liquid feed my calves never had any ill effects from the feed.

Scotty

pdoramus":1ssbe0o8 said:

We use CrystalX tubs part of the year and they have never hurt the calves.

It can cause infertility problems and it has something to do with the increase in fat deposits. It can also cause developemental problems in the unborn fetus's by the joints don't forming right or grow like they are supposed to.

I know the University of Fla. has done tests and have concluded that natural Protein such as Cottonseed Meal and Soybean meal produce heavier weaning weights, than cattle fed urea as Protein. Urea is usually used to lower the prices of supplement tubs and blocks. I have never heard of it causing conception problems or birth defects.

urea isnt good for calves under 6 months old because it can damage thier undeveloped liver. it doesnt mean that it will but theres always that chance

I've alwasy figured feeding anything with urea was like peeing in there feed.

dun

I'll get with the vet Monday and get some articles and see if I can get a link.

Soybean or Cotton mill is the best source of protien IMHO.

Tony Jr":3gf6eicg said:
I'll get with the vet Monday and get some articles and see if I can get a link.

Soybean or Cotton mill is the best source of protien IMHO.

Depends on cost and availability. Around here the most economical protein source is corn gluten pellets at 44%

dun

Friend of mine says corn gluten is not as digestable as ctton seed and soybeens. He works for Nutrena feeds.

Scotty

Urea cheapens up supplement almost a dollar bag when I get it and it also has a higher protein percentage

and a quick question not to take away from the real topic but if you feed urea does that take you out of being all natural I dont advertise as all natural but ive always been curious

farmer4620":31ekwvn7 said:
Urea cheapens up supplement almost a dollar bag when I get it and it also has a higher protein percentage

and a quick question not to take away from the real topic but if you feed urea does that take you out of being all natural I dont advertise as all natural but ive always been curious

Two points:

1. All natural: :heart: I don't know what the guidelines are for all natural operations, but it's not a natural thing bovines eat is it? I would think that if someone is classified as all natural it should be only things bovines get from nature/pasture.

2. Cheapens Cost: :?: If we really think about it (aside from the health risk) if bovine's body don't break down most of the urea and get the protein out of it, why feed it. I personally would rather feed a bag at $5 of 12% without urea and the animal get 10% protein out of the feed than a bag at $4 of 12% with urea and the animal only get 4% of the protein out of it.:idea:

Just some 'feed' for thought! LOL This is also JMHO! :cboy:

Thanks everyone for the infor on protein blocks with urea. I do have some calves who are only 6 months old chawing on the block. The feed store said this was the only protein block they had available.

Latest posts