Protective Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I did it kinda on a dare. We were quail hunting one year and one of the guys shot a big ole Diamondback. He said he ate them all the time,so I said ok you clean it and cook it and I'll try some.It wasn't bad but like I said kinda bland. The meat comes off the bone sections in roll like pieces sorta like a real thin line of toothpaste.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":vz4lw8lu said:
I did it kinda on a dare. We were quail hunting one year and one of the guys shot a big ole Diamondback. He said he ate them all the time,so I said ok you clean it and cook it and I'll try some.It wasn't bad but like I said kinda bland. The meat comes off the bone sections in roll like pieces sorta like a real thin line of toothpaste.

I agree. I've tried it a couple of times at rattlesnake roundups. It was bland but not the chicken kind of bland. Tasted OK but it wasn't anything to write home about. Then again, it was chicken fried. I could enjoy a water soaked stump if it was chicken fried.

Craig-TX

i had rattlesnake a couple of times and it tasted like chicken to me but a little sweet. nothing i'd want to eat on a weekly basis but it was eatable.

Tried possum once. Couldn't swallow it, nasty greasy. And it had been boiled

dun

Craig-TX":3ookmutm said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3ookmutm said:

I agree. I've tried it a couple of times at rattlesnake roundups. It was bland but not the chicken kind of bland. Tasted OK but it wasn't anything to write home about. Then again, it was chicken fried. I could enjoy a water soaked stump if it was chicken fried.

Craig-TX

Water soaked stump I'm still rolling :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dun":q4dv0jew said:

dun

I've never done possum or coon. Not saying I never will, but it will take some hard times and a lot of chili powder to get me to that supper table.

Craig-TX

sidney411":2a7y58wv said:
I have killed many, many emus. They don't taste a bit like chicken. :D Sorry Mahoney- They are a red meat and the taste resembles beef more then chicken, but no where near the same as beef. They area very lean and dry if cooked without any moisture added. The best way I found to cook them was ground up mixed 50/50 with hog meat.

Had one scare the out of me a few months back, heard the most God awful sound right at dark. One came running out of the woods in my bottom pasture, them big birds up close, thought he was a little to large to take on with a case.

Craig-TX":2woyounn said:
dun":2woyounn said:

dun

I've never done possum or coon. Not saying I never will, but it will take some hard times and a lot of chili powder to get me to that supper table.

Craig-TX

Grew up coon hunting, lots of fun not for scary people especially in the Old and Lost River bottom. Coon is actually quite good bar-b-qued.

Back in the hills of ARK in the early 1900's, my Grandpa used to catch possums and feed them on corn for a while to get the rot out of their system; said the grease would run out of the corners of your mouth.

When I was a small child, sometime back, a neighbor lady would send for me to come eat possum when she cooked one. She served it surrounded with baked sweet potatoes. I don't know how she cooked it but it was very good and was not greasy.
Her husband smoked Bull Durham tobacco and saved the small sacks for me. I used these to keep my tobacco stash in which I obtained from shreded cigarette butts.

Life was good!

Ryder":1ewm8s5e said:
When I was a small child, sometime back, a neighbor lady would send for me to come eat possum when she cooked one. She served it surrounded with baked sweet potatoes. I don't know how she cooked it but it was very good and was not greasy.
Her husband smoked Bull Durham tobacco and saved the small sacks for me. I used these to keep my tobacco stash in which I obtained from shreded cigarette butts.

Life was good!
Welcome aboard, Ryder! What kind of cattle do you have or like?

Thanks for the welcome, greenwillow.
I like Angus or Hereford x Brahman. I am not too active with the cattle right now, but have been involved with Herefords as well as dairy cattle in my other life.

I've never had ostrich, but I will assume they are much like the emu on taste and texture. I have never tried possum or coon but I agree with Texan - I would have to be starving and might near dead to welcome that meal :p I tried rattler chicken fried at a rattler roundup in weatherford once, and I agree it was boring tasting, even chicken fried.

So everyone, what is the craziest thing you have ever ate? I guess I don't have any one crazy thing, almost everything I bring for lunch most people at the office (city folk) turn up their noses at. :lol:

I tried to eat a "balute" once. Tried is the operative word. A balute is a hard boiled or pickled duck or chicken embryo.

dun

EEEWWW That just sounds gross, I don't think I could ever get to the 'tried' part. Where would a person go to get someting like that? I've never seen anything like it. Regional maybe?

I was in Honduras eating Iguana, The meal was roasted , not bad, There were some Eggs to the side of the dish (Iguana) , I didn't really want to try them , but I was told that they were the best part of the meal.

So I pop one in my mouth and start chewing ,and chewing ,and chewing, and chewing!! man it feels like I'm chewing a cross between bubble gum and leather.
Finally somebody notices what I'm doing , and says "oh no!!, Your suppose to cut the egg and suck out the insides!"
Well I tried that , and I still wasn't impressed , maybe I had to much of the outside taste still in my mouth!!

Hey, I'm the one asking people to get off track. I just thought about it when I started reading the other posts about what people are eating (or not eating), thought it would be interesting and so far it has, I think. Thanks for the replys!

sidney411":obp1d6u7 said:
EEEWWW That just sounds gross, I don't think I could ever get to the 'tried' part. Where would a person go to get someting like that? I've never seen anything like it. Regional maybe?

It takes two part, being in some parts Asia and a WHOLE LOT of booze.
A dare doesn't hurt either. Keep in mind that I was a youngster at the time.

dun

Sounds like there are some very brave "eaters" on this board. I too would have to be starving (and no grass or tree bark to eat) before I'd even think about eating some of those weird things! Any ya'll watch "Scare Tactics" on TV? They make people eat a lot of disgusting stuff to try to stay in the "game" and win a pot of money. No...don't think a chance at $50,000 would tempt me to suck up and chew a bowl full of maggots, pig uterus, or half-developed baby chicks.

Cheeseburger, Pepsi, and Fries anyone?

LOL

Latest posts