Protective Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a bad problem with "city dogs" when we had our other ranch just outside of town. We got rid of 13 in three weeks... after we lost a calf to a pack of them. Only one way to get rid of that problem!

My Brahmans are very protective.. if a calf hollers they will all come running, no matter who's it is.

TheBullLady":m4wasvlt said:
My Brahmans are very protective.. if a calf hollers they will all come running, no matter who's it is.

This is a natural instinct for all animals who run in herds, its a protective mechanism not confined to just Brahman cattle.

No one said it was just Brahmans who were protective. They just have a reputation of killing the offending animal. For all I know Herefords and Angus kill dogs and lions just have never heard anyone say so.

cherokeeruby":cjul0mba said:
No one said it was just Brahmans who were protective. They just have a reputation of killing the offending animal. For all I know Herefords and Angus kill dogs and lions just have never heard anyone say so.

Had a French Alpine doe years ago that almost killed the neighbors half doberman half great dane. She had beat it to pulp before I was able to drag her off. A polled doe at that.
The only thing I've seen that really seems to spook cattleinto running away are emus. There has to be something about the way the move that is spooky. Several years ago wqhen the emu market collapsed people were just turning tehm loose any where they could without being seen/caught.

dun

Thanks for the Brahman support Cherokee!

I also have Simmental cattle BP.. they are not as concerned as the Brahman cattle are. In my experience, of course.

Tried emus few years ago. One male, two females. Cute at two months old ... dangerous at 14 months old. They went in my freezer.

I have killed many, many emus. They don't taste a bit like chicken. :D Sorry Mahoney- They are a red meat and the taste resembles beef more then chicken, but no where near the same as beef. They area very lean and dry if cooked without any moisture added. The best way I found to cook them was ground up mixed 50/50 with hog meat.

Yum... I had the emu cubed into bite sizes, would marinade the emu in teriyaki sauce. Get skewers and alternate veggies, emu and pineapple. On the grill and on the plate. Brought the grill and fixin's to work to share with folks, and the ones that 'yucked' it- I told them I'd give them $5.00 if they tried it and didn't like it. No one got paid :D

Oh, to answer the question... taste and texture is more like beef, but pound for pound I'd say way more cost from chick to freezer.

Just curious? Does Emus and Ostrichs taste the same or is there a difference? The reason I ask is both birds are member of the Ratite (flightless birds with feathers) family therefore I thought the meat taste the same between species.
My 30-30 rifle is always ready in case an strange dog starts chasing my cows....cows can get so frighten that fence (electric or no electric...don't matter to them!) doesn't mean anything to them.
A neighbor had a Kelpie who was always on the loose (shes friendly..don't bother us...). Whenever there a new calf, the dog would go into our pasture to find the afterbirth and fresh doo-doo (I was reminded once that there is milk in the doo-doo and the dog likes it...). She would do this for a week or so.... As the calves get older, they want to play..well while the dog is poop hunting the calf thinks its play time! THe calf would buck and jump and run after the dog. Poor dog think she is getting chased, scared witless and leave the pasture.
unrelated to this topic but the story fits....
A few years ago, a real bad t-storm came through the area....thunders were booming very close. The cattle came up for water near the corrals. One of the thunder was so loud that I ducked in fright. As I was looking up, I saw dust from our cattle as they ran for dear life. I'd never seen cattle ever move so fast! They ran full speed to the back fence and hid under a tree....bunch of scaredy cats!
Cattle are funny creatures ain't they?

Thought everything tasted like chicken. LOL Except tuna of course

We were just having this conversation the other night. Somebody was saying that Rattle Snake tastes just like chicken. So I wonder why it is that we don't say chicken tastes just like rattle snake. :roll: I can just see it now. Other person-So what does emu taste like? Me- I hear it tastes just like rattle snake. ;-)

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":36ylu0d7 said:
I have eaten rattlers and they don't taste like anything. Kinda bland I thought. :cboy:

We eat almost anything with fins fur or feathers, draw the line on walking buzzards(possums).

Latest posts