Pro's and Con's of Electronic ID

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":2ra93l03 said:
4CTophand":2ra93l03 said:
KMacGinley":2ra93l03 said:
You are very rude. Are you TTCLM come around again? If not, you might as well be. Use some manners Please. :roll:
Since when is saying what you honestly think being rude --there is nothing rude in my comments

Perhaps in this topic you haven't been rude - yet. However - you have already set the example on how you conduct yourself in other posts, and that is very rude, crude, and offensive. Therefore, you probably have 90% of the board that really doesn't give a rats-rear-end on what you think about most any subject due to your know it all behavior and attitude.

The topic is quite interesting, but not when you want to talk about it.....
That's ok --Had I known you were on the short bus I wouldn't have been so candid -- yet I would have just ignored you

The tags is not what get you the premiums it is the cattle wearing them. Don't have a problem with using the tags in feeder calves when selling to a company that requires them. Will not am not going to ID my whole herd for the Goverment.

Red Bull Breeder":ffede8yi said:
The tags is not what get you the premiums it is the cattle wearing them. Don't have a problem with using the tags in feeder calves when selling to a company that requires them. Will not am not going to ID my whole herd for the Goverment.
Oh I imagine you will do what the feds tell ya to do --- talks cheap until you are faced with changing or losing -- what are you afraid of ??? That the Public will be able to trace those no grading cattle back to ya???
:tiphat:

I guess I should clarify the word "premium" It does not mean that we get a higher than average price for our animals. It just means we do not get docked as much as a non age verified animal does. When prices are down they are down no matter what you do. However in Canada this fall, we saw higher cow prices for a time. We also saw the age verified cows born after March 1999 brought better prices than the rest. BUT, the prices looked good because the others were heavily discounted. The premium was that you did not recieve the discount the other fellas got. The calves however, it did not matter how you preconditioned them, age verified, etc. Prices were down across the board. Those that did age verify might have seen a slight increase, but not much.
in the end, it's the packers, the vets , and the sale barns that made the extra $
The packers made the bucks cause they were able to shipped verifed meat to countries that require age verification, for a better price...I'm not seeing it...
The vets made the bucks for following the export laws when sealing shippements of verified beef, an hourly paid wage that takes time from producers needing a vet to help a sick animal. But the vet has to take on extra work since the cow market is in the tank, and producers are limiting the amount of vet $ they spend.
The sale barns made the bucks because the commisions increased, and a pile of cattle went through our sale barn. Only thing is, they are gritting their teeth cause next year fewer animals are going through the ring, decreasing their gross sales.
oh yeah its a win situation...for the packers

rockridgecattle":1czjynt7 said:
I guess I should clarify the word "premium" It does not mean that we get a higher than average price for our animals. It just means we do not get docked as much as a non age verified animal does. When prices are down they are down no matter what you do. However in Canada this fall, we saw higher cow prices for a time. We also saw the age verified cows born after March 1999 brought better prices than the rest. BUT, the prices looked good because the others were heavily discounted. The premium was that you did not recieve the discount the other fellas got. The calves however, it did not matter how you preconditioned them, age verified, etc. Prices were down across the board. Those that did age verify might have seen a slight increase, but not much.
in the end, it's the packers, the vets , and the sale barns that made the extra $
The packers made the bucks cause they were able to shipped verifed meat to countries that require age verification, for a better price...I'm not seeing it...
The vets made the bucks for following the export laws when sealing shippements of verified beef, an hourly paid wage that takes time from producers needing a vet to help a sick animal. But the vet has to take on extra work since the cow market is in the tank, and producers are limiting the amount of vet $ they spend.
The sale barns made the bucks because the commisions increased, and a pile of cattle went through our sale barn. Only thing is, they are gritting their teeth cause next year fewer animals are going through the ring, decreasing their gross sales.
oh yeah its a win situation...for the packers

You don;t have the option of retaining ownership until slaughter? If you retain ownership either all or part, if there are actaul premiums you are the one that will see them.

I don't beleive you quite understand what Rockridge said 4ctophand. Rockridge said the producer didn't see any of those premiums.. As far a being afriad of the Feds i have seen about the worst they have to offer and i ain't skeered.

dun":3na5uqfr said:
You don;t have the option of retaining ownership until slaughter? If you retain ownership either all or part, if there are actaul premiums you are the one that will see them.

No, I have never heard of it. Not true, I have heard of it on here but not in our cattle community. I might have to check the AG Rep office and see if that happens around here.

RR when you sell your cattle do they come to the US to feedlots or do they feed them in Canada ? ifthey come here I don't see why you couldn't retain ownership might be a lil paperwork getting them across the border but I wouldn't think that would be prohibitive if the feedrs are buying them up there anyway

rockridgecattle":5jsv67c4 said:
dun":5jsv67c4 said:

No, I have never heard of it. Not true, I have heard of it on here but not in our cattle community. I might have to check the AG Rep office and see if that happens around here.

Me neither, maybe someone on ranchers net can answer that..

I really don't think it is going to matter whether the producer wants MID or not,,as has been proven before you have no say. So yes it is coming and the sooner you comply the better, because when it first came here you did get actual premiums, now you just get docked for not doing it..

hillsdown":2m2kwtly said:
rockridgecattle":2m2kwtly said:
dun":2m2kwtly said:

Me neither, maybe someone on ranchers net can answer that..

I really don't think it is going to matter whether the producer wants MID or not,,as has been proven before you have no say. So yes it is coming and the sooner you comply the better, because when it first came here you did get actual premiums, now you just get docked for not doing it..

Well, I'm glad your so "compliant". But what about the guy who has a couple of scrub cows on his place. I can see the validity of having electronic I.D.'s for health track backs but that's about it.

What about the guy who has a couple of scrub cattle on his place? In Canada it does not matter if you have 1 cow or 1 000 000 001 cows. In Canada, if an animal goes to the vets, goes to shows, goes to the sale barn, transported anywhere that is not your own pasture, it must be tagged. And if you want the price you need to age verify...it's the law.

Latest posts