Pros and Cons of Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb":2b3idz8n said:
Bonner was on my doorstep, then you had Macedon which I think was in business going on 100 years and I think BoBo is still in business but I don't think they are in Madison County anymore.

Yeah, I contract hay from Wayne B. now. Beautiful place he has out there. Wayne P. at Bobo still has cattle, but quickly dwindling by selling and leasing land to the row croppers. Macedon had been in business since 1925....

Once again, it is up to me to state the obvious. For most of North America, black hair is an undesirable trait, and contributes significantly to heat stress. Heat stress has a significant effect on profits. Just because an animal can survive, does not mean it is thriving. Our summers aren't getting any cooler, and I expect more big die-offs to occur in feedlots.
Few appreciate the impact of heat stress on performance, as this article explains:
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

http://nimss.umd.edu/homepages/home.cfm?trackID=11616
In most areas of the world, cattle destined for slaughter are fattened on grass. In the southern U.S. this requires cattle that are well-adapted to the ambient conditions (high temperature and humidity) and it is usually expected that only Bos indicus or Bos indicus crosses can be sufficiently adapted to such conditions to grow rapidly and efficiently. Since both a light coat color and a short hair length contribute significantly to increased heat tolerance, it is possible that the combination of short hair and lighter coloration will result in an animal with high growth potential under grazing conditions in the southern U.S. without Bos indicus influence.

Over the past two decades black has become the preferred color of feedlot and slaughter cattle in the USA, including the Southern Region. As a result, not only has the influence of Angus cattle increased, but the black gene has been incorporated, through upgrading and selection, into a number of previously red breeds such as the Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh, etc. This is in spite of the fact that black colored cattle will absorb more solar radiation than red or other lighter-colored cattle. Studies by Mader et al. (2002) and Davis et al. (2003) both showed rather dramatic (up to 0.5º) lower body temperatures while under heat stress for white (dilute-colored Charolais crossbred) as compared to black feedlot steers. This advantage is comparable to the effect of the Slick hair gene for heat tolerance reported by Olson et al. (2003).

http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewconte ... ports_1996
Producers with the nonshaded
lots reported highest death loss in dark-hided
cattle. Thirty out of 36 producers indicated higher death
loss in black cattle and the other six producers
indicated higher death loss with red cattle and had no
black cattle on feed. One producer indicated only 20%
of the cattle in the pen were black, but 80% of the
death loss was black cattle.

The people in the retail stores that get all giddy when they see "CAB"-- just don't care.

Way back when, some ad genius came up with the words "New and Improved" and the world ate it up like a kid does candy.
That guy would be envious of the CAB thing.

greybeard":hqtf56j1 said:
The people in the retail stores that get all giddy when they see "CAB"-- just don't care.

Way back when, some ad genius came up with the words "New and Improved" and the world ate it up like a kid does candy.

i know i have said this 100 times and i'm sure everyone is tired of hearing it but i'm going to say it again.

most consumers don't know what "angus" is and don't care, they don't know what color it is and don't care or what marbling is, most don't know the difference between select and prime.
what they do know is CAB is going to be a good cut of meat(because it has to grade choice or better) and all they care about is getting a good cut of meat and they are willing to pay for it.

us
greybeard":pcc4u5p2 said:

The Angus gurus have spent millions in marketing which has worked brilliantly to convince shoppers that black hair equals good beef. :?

I have black cows, with alot to all Angus in them. They were born and bred in the south, and will compete with any color. You can read all the B.S. you want, but black cows work good in the south. The Angus people have made all beef producers more money. I wish and have wrote letters to the A.A.A. that we need to start DNA testing for CAB. We can do this because Angus did not start out as a crossbreed.
The only con I see with Angus is all the other breeds that are cashing in on the money spent by the A.A.A. on promotion for us.
We are all in this beef together, to hopefully cash in the next few years on these high prices.

They are starting something similar with the Angus Source verified tag. The calf has to be 50% Black Angus from a registered Black Angus Bull or Cow. IN truck load lots they are suppose to bring a real premium. Probalby not so much at your local sale barn.

cross_7":3jvytzj4 said:
greybeard":3jvytzj4 said:

i know i have said this 100 times and i'm sure everyone is tired of hearing it but i'm going to say it again.

most consumers don't know what "angus" is and don't care, they don't know what color it is and don't care or what marbling is, most don't know the difference between select and prime.
what they do know is CAB is going to be a good cut of meat(because it has to grade choice or better) and all they care about is getting a good cut of meat and they are willing to pay for it.
I agree about 90%, but also have to say Angus was a great cut of meat long before this CAB thing came along, and that's where I have the bone to pick with CAB retail labeing whether it's in the meat case of HEB or a burger from a nationally know fast food place. Most consumers may not know "angus the breed", but they dang sure know "Certified angus the label" nowadays. I disagree that that most equate the CAB label with a grade--they just see the label and think "Gonna be good just because of the label". They don't know crap about grading or even marbeling. Take your best non-Angus carcass 7, put the un labeled cuts in a meat case for the consumer, and no matter how good yours may be, consumers are more likely to chose something next to it that sez 'certified angus', even tho yours may well be the better cut of beef. I do like Angus the breed and Angus the beef--always have and it is good that the assoc went the route they did to ensure the breed stayed the course for quality instead of being morphed into the same thing we've seen other breeds do. (Charolais comes to mind) but when they went the extra step to place the CAB labeling on the consumer end product, as if that label alone automatically meant a better product than anything else, that's where I have a problem. Same way with restraunts that advertise "We serve only (fill in the blank) celebrity's beef. (Nolan Ryan's beef comes to mind in a couple of local to me steak houses)

Yeah, the public SHOULD be better educated and informed, but they aren't. I have seen twice, women pick up a ribeye or t-bone package and put it in their basket because it said "Select", thinking that word guaranteed that piece of meat was going to be head and shoulders above an unmarked package right beside it that had been repackaged by the store's meat folks and didn't put the choice grade on the package. "Oh this is gonna be soo good--look how nice and bright red that is--no fat in it". Unmarked may have been choice or prime, but those women couldn't tell which was better--they just saw a label that said "select'. :roll:
Ya can't fix stupid but I guess the Angus Assoc has tried to, and are laughing all the way to the bank mostly because of a little label..when what that label means to you and I and what it means to most consumers are 2 completely different things.

greybeard":3u9x8kn7 said:
cross_7":3u9x8kn7 said:
greybeard":3u9x8kn7 said:

I agree about 90%, but also have to say Angus was a great cut of meat long before this CAB thing came along, and that's where I have the bone to pick with CAB retail labeing whether it's in the meat case of HEB or a burger from a nationally know fast food place. Most consumers may not know "angus the breed", but they dang sure know Certified angus the label" nowadays. Take your best none Angus carcass 7, put the un labeled cuts in a meat case for the consumer, and no matter how good yours may be, consumers are more likely to chose something next to it that sez 'certified angus', even tho yours may well be the better cut of beef. I do like Angus--always have and it is good that the assoc went the route they did to ensure the breed stayed the course for quality instead of being morphed into the same thing we've seen other breeds do. (Charolais comes to mind) but when they went the extra step to place the CAB labeling on the consumer end product as if that label automatically meant a better product, that's where I have a problem. Same way with restraunts that advertise "We serve only (fill in the blank) celebrity's beef. (Nolan Ryan's beef comes to mind in a couple of local to me steak houses)

Yeah, the public SHOULD be better educated and informed, but they aren't. I have seen twice, women pick up a ribeye or t-bone package and put it in their basket because it said "Select", thinking that word guaranteed that piece of meat was going to be head and shoulders above an unmarked package right beside it that had been repackaged by the store's meat folks and didn't put the choice grade on the package. "Oh this is gonna be soo good--look how nice and bright red that is--no fat in it". :roll:
Ya can't fix stupid but I guess the Angus Assoc has tried to, and are laughing all the way to the bank mostly because of a little label..

Well said Greybeard, education would go along way but I doubt it happens.

i think most will agree not all cab is 50% angus unless it is verified angus source and as long as it meets the cab criteria it's cab whether it angus or not.
you also have to admit the cab criteria is strict and almost guarantees a good eating experience and that is what the consumers wants and will pay for.
as you stated lots of consumers don't know select is low end or how to judge a steak, but cab takes the guess work.
they could have educated the consumer on the grades of meat so they could make an informed desicion but there is no money in that for the angus breed.
i think cab has helped the cattle industry and has put an emphasis on carcass quality, which makes for pleasant eating experience, which makes a happy for customer that will come back and buy agian instead of buying chicken or pork.
i try to raise the best product i can and make a profit and imo my best option is angus influenced.
my :2cents:

CAB helped the industry I'm sure, but CAB helped CAB more than anything else. It might guarantee a good eating experience but comes nowhere near guaranteeing the public couldn't or wouldn't have the same experience with any other breed sourced steak. The illusion that it will is exactly that--an illusion foistered upon an unsuspecting public. A very well played illusion, and at the right time, but an illusion none the less, and I am NOT saying Angus influence isn't all it's cracked up to be by CAB label. Just saying there are also other sources that offer exactly the same or even better without the little label. Again--well played.

Ehh-well-no sense hashing over a topic that's been covered 100 times anyway. The arguments are mostly semantics anyway.
:D

Updated Information.
The U.S. Meat Animal Research Center [MARC] released the sire averages of 2010 born calves for the major beef breeds.
Charolais sired calves were number 1 in weaning weight, Brahman 2nd, Simmental 3rd, Tarentaise 4th and Angus 5th.

However Angus calves closed the gap from weaning weight to yearling weight.
Charolais were still #1 but Angus were a close 2nd averaging only 6 pounds less than Charolais.

Where your ranch is located dictates which breeds work the best.
Of the major breeds:
North of the Mason-Dixie line; Angus, Simmental. Western Great Plains; Angus, Hereford and in deep South, Brahman influenced cattle.

And of course, Yes, your gas mileage may vary. :roll:

greybeard":yzzhfckq said:
CAB helped the industry I'm sure, but CAB helped CAB more than anything else. It might guarantee a good eating experience but comes nowhere near guaranteeing the public couldn't or wouldn't have the same experience with any other breed sourced steak. The illusion that it will is exactly that--an illusion foistered upon an unsuspecting public. A very well played illusion, and at the right time, but an illusion none the less, and I am NOT saying Angus influence isn't all it's cracked up to be by CAB label. Just saying there are also other sources that offer exactly the same or even better without the little label. Again--well played.

Ehh-well-no sense hashing over a topic that's been covered 100 times anyway. The arguments are mostly semantics anyway.

not arguing with what you stated but without a label how is the consumer to know.
it's a marketing plan that benefits the breed, beef industry and most of all the consumer in my opinion.
laura's lean is marketing as is nolan ryan branded beef, as is cab and etc.
i think the reason it works is because the consumer feels reassured that when they spend their hard earned money for a steak that they are getting a good cut of meat opposed to a steak from an herd bull that will be tough as a boot.
consumer confidence and marketing their product is all i see it to be.
i don't see anyone knocking other cattle, they are just marketing thier product.
as i stated before it has created an emphasis on carcass quality a cross the beef industry which benefits the consumer and in turn benefits the beef industry.
not trying to be a hard head but thats what i am i guess

highgrit":3v8sy32e said:
I have black cows, with alot to all Angus in them. They were born and bred in the south, and will compete with any color. You can read all the B.S. you want, but black cows work good in the south. The Angus people have made all beef producers more money. I wish and have wrote letters to the A.A.A. that we need to start DNA testing for CAB. We can do this because Angus did not start out as a crossbreed.
The only con I see with Angus is all the other breeds that are cashing in on the money spent by the A.A.A. on promotion for us.
We are all in this beef together, to hopefully cash in the next few years on these high prices.
The same thinking has been promoted in the UK Highgrit; http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/19422630

cross_7":3tf9mszt said:
greybeard":3tf9mszt said:

not arguing with what you stated but without a label how is the consumer to know.
it's a marketing plan that benefits the breed, beef industry and most of all the consumer in my opinion.
i think the reason it works is because the consumer feels reassured that when they spend their hard earned money for a steak that they are getting a good cut of meat opposed to a steak from an herd bull that will be tough as a boot.consumer confidence and marketing their product is all i see it to be.
i don't see anyone knocking other cattle, they are just marketing thier product.
as i stated before it has created an emphasis on carcass quality a cross the beef industry which benefits the consumer and in turn benefits the beef industry.
well my last herd bull.. i had to sign saying he hadnt recieved any antibiotics,or hormones.... and ""laura's lean beef"" was on the heading of the paper.... this was at the stockyard...

ALACOWMAN":ql15u906 said:
cross_7":ql15u906 said:
greybeard":ql15u906 said:

i think the reason it works is because the consumer feels reassured that when they spend their hard earned money for a steak that they are getting a good cut of meat opposed to a steak from an herd bull that will be tough as a boot.consumer confidence and marketing their product is all i see it to be.
well my last herd bull.. i had to sign saying he hadnt recieved any antibiotics,or hormones.... and ""laura's lean beef"" was on the heading of the paper.... this was at the stockyard...

the video i posted that said they sell 1000-1500 head a year to laura's lean and they don't necessarily want choice or prime and then your experience leads me to believe it's more of a marketing gimmick.

on the other hand cab has strict requirements to qualify for cab that ensures a quality cut of meat, which i think gives cab more integrity.

Angus and CAB has improved meat quality in all breeds. When people started breeding everything black to qualify for CAB they had to also pay close attention to carcass traits. That's not to say that some weren't already paying attention but when a premium market opened up for black AND quality, the race was on.

The A.A.A. has done all the big things right. More important they have done all the little things right. How many times do you see whatever with CAB on it that has a pic of a black steer,blk bull head etc. Steak Resturants that have same thing on their sign,menu etc.They have got everyone to advertize right along with them. And for example in Kansas City area there is steak resturant called the" Hereford House" that has a Horned Hereford bull on thier sign, therefore most poeple in KC know what a Hereford is. Thats what Angus has done with Black. Here's another example, my Father-inlaw( city slicker )came out the other day to the barn were I was feeding my "Black" weaning calves. First thing out of his know it all mouth was, " oh I see you raise CAB,they are the best eating next to Kobe beef". The second thing out of his mouth was "So do they weigh bout 200# when they are born". LOL My point is he really does'nt know squat but he sure knows that CAB are black. It all goes back to the age old saying" you got to spend $ to make $". They spent it on great marketing just like GIECO,Progressive Insurance Etc. :2cents:

Latest posts