Pros and Cons of Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

farmwife

Reaction score
Okay, nobody else will post it, so I will. I'm not for or against'em, I just choose to raise Herefords. This oughta be fun!!

farmwife":2tcuap4p said:
Okay, nobody else will post it, so I will. I'm not for or against'em, I just choose to raise Herefords. This oughta be fun!!

This undoubtedly the most antagonistic post ever entered on this site. :lol: :lol: I think I'll sit back and watch the sparks fly too.

Pros: they come in both black and Red

Cons: they come in black

dun

can't comment on angus yet bought my first bull this spring but im pleased with him he was bred locally by a great angus man and takes the heat well hanging in there with my f1s and brangus. stays right on the cycling cows and heifers aint in the shade like i feared while the cows were grazing. aggresive little 15 month old

Takes too long to list the pros of both Angus and Hereford, but a cross of the two is darn near perfect for the northern 75% of this country. You can find animals that will outperform them in single traits, but not in a total package with the consistency of the black baldy.

The only con I would mention for Angus is that the black hide makes it harder to see faults in the animal.

bubchub":1x4ptj3s said:
Con: Their "blackness" has ruined almost every breed there is.
naw naw naw son its the breeders that done that. cant blame that on angus im not a angus guru but blame that on the breeder trying to compete with the angus market.

Well, I think, :eek: Any good cow is a good cow. However I have bills to pay. If a Black Angus calf brings 50 to 100$ per calf :shock: Why ask? :eek: more then other breeds. DAH!

mnmt

Angus are over rated and over bred. Why is it a black baldy qualifies for CAB but a Red Angus does not? OVer rated and over bred.

JMO
Alan

Kent":2gm339jv said:
Takes too long to list the pros of both Angus and Hereford, but a cross of the two is darn near perfect for the northern 75% of this country. You can find animals that will outperform them in single traits, but not in a total package with the consistency of the black baldy.

The only con I would mention for Angus is that the black hide makes it harder to see faults in the animal.
I am a big fan of the Black baldy. Makes for some really good cows. Take care. :cboy:

pure bred Angus calves, not real impressive weaning weights.
some modern Angus lines produce steers that have to much leg fresian in apearance.

pros- polled, easy calving "original Angus", moderate frame, low maitenance, superior carcass, early maturity.

Pro: Most housewives who do the shopping, or guys who buy steaks for the grill think that Angus beef is better.

There are three things in this world: Fact, fiction, and perception. All can be equally good or bad.

Pro's they are black, beeeutiful, and every other breed wants to copy them.

Cons every other breed wants to copy them.

Angus Guy":3gq2w8kg said:

Keep telling yourself that. :roll:

pros: Angus cattle have done more for the beef industry than any other breed. Angus bred cattle have a better advantage than other breeds because there are people that breed and improve the breed more than any other breeds. Angus producers have compiled a datbase of information that proves they perform in any climate and situation. Angus cattle will outperform their competitors in all categories of what a cow should be to make money. Angus cattle are BLACK ( if you don't believe me look at what Simmental, Charolais, Gelbveih, Hereford, etc breeders have tried to copy.)

cons: There aren't enough people out there using the right Angus bulls to be satisfied. There are too many people raising Angus cattle for the glory and not for the right reasons. There are too many Angus breeders breeding to "The New Bull" in the Angus Journal. There are too many Angus breeders breeding for extremes, rather than breeding for the kind of people the customer wants; balanced trait cattle with a good spread from birth to yearling that still can produce phenotypically correct offspring that will remain in the herd as producers.

Hereford breeders, polled and horned, have done the same the Angus breeders have done, except that they have not created a market for the cattle. Certified Hereford Beef is a spin off of Cert. Angus Beef.

Really good, producing Herefords are hard to find any more folks. I would gladly go buy Hereford bulls, but the good ones are hard to really find.

I am not trying to say one breed is better than the other, because I raise both (registered and commercial) but Angus sourced cattle are king. It doesn't matter if they are half and half or 1/4 x 3/4 Angus, buyers can tell the difference between Angus, Simmental, and all the other black hided cattle.

Sorry if I raised the hairs on anybody's neck, but that is how it is right now, and it is going to be a while until it changes. QUALITY counts, and Angus cattle put the quality in.

Angus Guy":2qxiuon7 said:

What are you smoking and why aren't you sharing?

Latest posts