Property Line Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Would you shoot this deer if it were across the fence?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Doubt it. Probably be too busy cleaning out my britches

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
Jogeephus":r8fsu07d said:
What would you shoot in this picture?

None. I would just be content setting and watching them. I passed up on a buck twice as big as that one last Saturday morning, at 20 steps. I do have a set of horns that size in a box though, a five point. It was my first deer, and I took him with a model 12 Winchester shotgun and a slug. I can remember it as if it were yesterday. I haven't taken a deer with that gun since then, but our gun season opened Saturday and just for the fun of it, I pulled it out of the case and have carried it the two days I have hunted this season.

Jogeephus":1rtv66w4 said:

I'd shoot that smallest one. That's the one without sense enough to know that deer aren't supposed to eat tomatoes.

if I shot one it would be one of the larger does and then I would probably take and give it to the church (church gives them to the people who needs them) or a neighbor
We have several older folks in the area that love deer meat and some times it is he only meat they get other than some burger now and then

Jogeephus":1m8nqpnj said:

200810311839202.jpg

At least three of them before they got out of buckshot range.

None, harvest all our meat deer after Christmas once there fat, and slick. Some of the largest bucks raised on game farms started as spikes. Good deer managers harvest by age. One of the biggest thrills for me is to hunt and harvest a 6 year old plus buck legally. Most the time the buck wins.

Jogeephus":115x39op said:

200810311839202.jpg

Second Doe from the left. If I want a dry doe I will always take one that's darker then the rest. Probably an old wives tale but it has been right more than not.

Good calls. Unfortunately most of the guys around here would shoot the buck and he has the potential to really be something in the near future. 3-way, the darker deer could also be a sign it has more Wisconcin genetics that we introduced years ago in an attempt to improve the gene pool but yes its one of the two I'd be gunning for cause we just have too many does. I planted 60 acres of sunflowers for a dove shoot and never saw the first flower. :cry2:

If you have too many does just plant a few cougars. I just got back from 12 days worth of elk hunting. I was in the hills from dawn to dark. I saw a grand total of 7 deer. Lots of elk but hardly no deer. But I saw lots of cougar sign everywhere. One of my co-workers had the same experience. He was hunting higher up where there was snow. He said that he only saw one deer but saw fresh cougar tracks in the snow every day. So if you have too many does I can look into shipping a few cougars to you. We have plenty to spare.

Dave":neu7iptc said:
If you have too many does just plant a few cougars. I just got back from 12 days worth of elk hunting. I was in the hills from dawn to dark. I saw a grand total of 7 deer. Lots of elk but hardly no deer. But I saw lots of cougar sign everywhere. One of my co-workers had the same experience. He was hunting higher up where there was snow. He said that he only saw one deer but saw fresh cougar tracks in the snow every day. So if you have too many does I can look into shipping a few cougars to you. We have plenty to spare.
Next year you won;t see th cougar tracks. Once they've wiped out the food supply they will move to easier pickens.

They will have to move into Seattle because it is the same story all over the state. They outlawed hound hunting 15-20 years ago and there has been an explosion in the cougar population.

Dave":l7wbgm21 said:
They will have to move into Seattle because it is the same story all over the state. They outlawed hound hunting 15-20 years ago and there has been an explosion in the cougar population.
In ca they outlawed all cougar hunting and it's gone on long enough now that both the deer herd and the cougar population seems to have decreased

Haven't a few children gone missing too? We already have a few. They put them out a few years ago in a study and someone palpated them wrong and they were bred.

Jogeephus":25nx5r3k said:
Haven't a few children gone missing too? We already have a few. They put them out a few years ago in a study and someone palpated them wrong and they were bred.

Jo, i read somewhere that small children were their favorite food. Sad

Angus Cowman":14sotulp said:
Jogeephus":14sotulp said:
That one came from Red Oak Plantation a few miles west of me. They brought in some Wisconcin deer about 50 years ago and they have been trophy managing for as long as I can remember and it has paid off for them. This one may be the new county record once they get some official measurements on it and I heard his son killed one even bigger but with a bow but I don't know the details of this one. We have some good genetics in my county but too many of our hunters tend to settle for "trophy spikes" and they just won't let them get any age on them. Average age in my county is about 2 years old.
I'm not a big deer hunter but I do alot of management for deer
We have the same problem of local guys shooting anything with horns and it really be nice me off heck if I want one to eat I am gonna shoot an old FAT doe,don't like the taste of little yrlng deer they don't have much flavor IMO and if I am gonna shoot a buck he darn well will be big enough to mount
have finally got 1 neighbor that agrees with my veiw point but the others sure don't they think it is awful to kill does they also can't imagine seeing 30-50 deer at a time which I do often on my rye fields and my bean foodplots
they also don't understand that to have quality deer WE have to feed them to make them but then again they are the same ones that never worm or vaccinate their cows and can feed 1/3 less hay than I do pr winter and wonder why their 6 yr old cows are thin and bony and raise 400 lb calves
also if the doe population is held in check and we pass these smaller bucks the size and the quality of the bucks will increase
You need to hunt deer in North Missouri. Plenty of grain to eat up here, corn , soybeans.... Big fat fellas. Hubby had 2 friends up for bow season. He warned them, the deer up here are different then south Missouri.. you can't just throw them on your shoulder and walk to the vehicle. The first one they shot dress out at 300lbs! Guessing a 2-3 year old.
Valerie
And no, I wouldn't shoot... I'd have to drag it under the fence!!!

upfrombottom":39hwb986 said:
My perspective on deer management maybe different than alot of folks and will probably rile a few, but I have been hunting deer since I was 7, that would be 41 years now, and that experience has given me some wisdom. I have seen alot of changes in hunting methods, management, and ethics through the years, but none that upset me more than for any person, no matter who they are or how much money they spend, to think that they own wildlife of any kind. I am very fortunate that I own a place to hunt and have many other places that I can and do hunt, at one time in my life I didn't. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder, and when someone else takes a legal deer, I think good for them, especially if it is a kid. I'm not talking about poachers, I'm talking about honest people, exercising there right to hunt, just the same as you or I. I have a room full of mounts a several boxes of horns, some from private land, some from public land, and each and every one is a trophy to me, for one reason or another. I have never, or ever will, buy or sell a hunt, to me that is selling wildlife, something that should never ever have a monetary value put on it.

Doesn't rile me a bit. I don't hunt and I have my reasons, but I don't have a problem with people who do it legally and responsibly. Hunting on your own land, or with permission on somebody else's is one thing, but paying big money (usually city people) for the pleasure of killing something always seemed a bit twisted to me.

Just voted "no" in the poll and now it looks like 50% of us are now liers........................ acording to the poll results that is.

Jogeephus":3dip557z said:
If this deer was standing on the other side of the fence would you shoot it if you knew it wasn't going to get on your property?
(Killed this weekend. 215 BC)

bigbuck.jpg

It depends............

Latest posts