Property Line Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

Would you shoot this deer if it were across the fence?

• Yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • Doubt it. Probably be too busy cleaning out my britches

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Jogeephus

Reaction score
If this deer was standing on the other side of the fence would you shoot it if you knew it wasn't going to get on your property?
(Killed this weekend. 215 BC)

bigbuck.jpg

Jogeephus":qwll7sjj said:
If this deer was standing on the other side of the fence would you shoot it if you knew it wasn't going to get on your property?

bigbuck.jpg

What fence? I sure couldn't see fence for all them horns.

One of the nice things about where I hunt. No fences for miles. So I wouldn't even be looking for a fence before/while shooting him.

highgrit":12elfjqu said:
Jo, how close are the fires to your property? Hopefully it will rain tonight, stay safe.

Its about 20 miles. It was at 6000 acres this weekend and the smoke was so bad the air force had to shut down their flight demonstration they had been planning for months. They are shutting down highways now cause we are getting a weather system that's inverting the smoke. Thankfully I'm north of it so the smoke can be seen but not smelt.

TexasBred":23u0svu1 said:
He$$ I'm not gonna lie...dam right I would. :oops:

I know another dog named Scooter. ;-)

The guy in the picture didn't shoot it but they said his son killed one bigger than that last weekend. Maybe one day I'll see one like that. It'd definitely be worth changing a pair of britches over. :oops: :lol2:

Jogeephus":1fga2knf said:

bigbuck.jpg

:p ah-hmmm - - - How high is the fence? :shock:

1982vett":1laotz9p said:
ah-hmmm - - - How high is the fence?

I don't think height would be an issue for me. I believe my snips or bolt cutters would have a nice sized gap in it in no time. The only person that I know for sure that wouldn't shoot over a fence is my wife. She proved that to me one day when a beautiful twelve point appeared across the fence. I had been hunting that deer for two years and it had better be glad I wasn't in the stand with her.

Jo, did the smoke from the fire will give you cover while you crossed over to get one like that. :p
Call me when it gets closer. Is it in the swamp, oh yeh it is all swamp so it must be.

kenny thomas":2w6ji7mh said:
Jo, did the smoke from the fire will give you cover while you crossed over to get one like that. :p
Call me when it gets closer. Is it in the swamp, oh yeh it is all swamp so it must be.

But this one is an inverted hill. ;-)

Heh, remember the thread I made a while back when we had our little arsonistthat almost burnt up the world? Well he served a whopping 18 months for destroying over $500,000 worth of timber and they let him out but he can never come back to this county. No biggy for him he just moved into the next county. About a month after he moved there it became evident that this county had a serial arsonist in it and they have been investigating it for the past several months. I'm sure its not him even though most of the fires are pretty close to his house cause I imagine he is too busy raising his three children after his girlfriend - their mother - OD'ed and died recently. I'm am sure he appreciates all the help ya'll are giving him cause he is ... I guess the politically correct term would be .. retired.

Don't give him too much credit for being retired. As you know it seems arsonists never retire, they just get too old to get out and get into trouble.
By the way great deer. Do you grow many like that?

That one came from Red Oak Plantation a few miles west of me. They brought in some Wisconcin deer about 50 years ago and they have been trophy managing for as long as I can remember and it has paid off for them. This one may be the new county record once they get some official measurements on it and I heard his son killed one even bigger but with a bow but I don't know the details of this one. We have some good genetics in my county but too many of our hunters tend to settle for "trophy spikes" and they just won't let them get any age on them. Average age in my county is about 2 years old.

Jogeephus":1rud4q8h said:
That one came from Red Oak Plantation a few miles west of me. They brought in some Wisconcin deer about 50 years ago and they have been trophy managing for as long as I can remember and it has paid off for them. This one may be the new county record once they get some official measurements on it and I heard his son killed one even bigger but with a bow but I don't know the details of this one. We have some good genetics in my county but too many of our hunters tend to settle for "trophy spikes" and they just won't let them get any age on them. Average age in my county is about 2 years old.
I'm not a big deer hunter but I do alot of management for deer
We have the same problem of local guys shooting anything with horns and it really pisses me off heck if I want one to eat I am gonna shoot an old FAT doe,don't like the taste of little yrlng deer they don't have much flavor IMO and if I am gonna shoot a buck he darn well will be big enough to mount
have finally got 1 neighbor that agrees with my veiw point but the others sure don't they think it is awful to kill does they also can't imagine seeing 30-50 deer at a time which I do often on my rye fields and my bean foodplots
they also don't understand that to have quality deer WE have to feed them to make them but then again they are the same ones that never worm or vaccinate their cows and can feed 1/3 less hay than I do pr winter and wonder why their 6 yr old cows are thin and bony and raise 400 lb calves
also if the doe population is held in check and we pass these smaller bucks the size and the quality of the bucks will increase

Angus Cowman":1x45xn6d said:
Jogeephus":1x45xn6d said:
I'm not a big deer hunter but I do alot of management for deer
We have the same problem of local guys shooting anything with horns and it really be nice me off heck if I want one to eat I am gonna shoot an old FAT doe,don't like the taste of little yrlng deer they don't have much flavor IMO and if I am gonna shoot a buck he darn well will be big enough to mount
have finally got 1 neighbor that agrees with my veiw point but the others sure don't they think it is awful to kill does they also can't imagine seeing 30-50 deer at a time which I do often on my rye fields and my bean foodplots
they also don't understand that to have quality deer WE have to feed them to make them but then again they are the same ones that never worm or vaccinate their cows and can feed 1/3 less hay than I do pr winter and wonder why their 6 yr old cows are thin and bony and raise 400 lb calves
also if the doe population is held in check and we pass these smaller bucks the size and the quality of the bucks will increase

I agree with you AC keep shooting them young horns and soon ther's no more to shoot at.
I have yet to understand why anyone would want to shoot a young buck.

Cal

If you want to control the gene pool some of them young bucks need shot. Most spikes will never and alot of fork horns will never be any thing but junk.

My perspective on deer management maybe different than alot of folks and will probably rile a few, but I have been hunting deer since I was 7, that would be 41 years now, and that experience has given me some wisdom. I have seen alot of changes in hunting methods, management, and ethics through the years, but none that upset me more than for any person, no matter who they are or how much money they spend, to think that they own wildlife of any kind. I am very fortunate that I own a place to hunt and have many other places that I can and do hunt, at one time in my life I didn't. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder, and when someone else takes a legal deer, I think good for them, especially if it is a kid. I'm not talking about poachers, I'm talking about honest people, exercising there right to hunt, just the same as you or I. I have a room full of mounts a several boxes of horns, some from private land, some from public land, and each and every one is a trophy to me, for one reason or another. I have never, or ever will, buy or sell a hunt, to me that is selling wildlife, something that should never ever have a monetary value put on it.

upfrombottom":j4nypqb7 said:
My perspective on deer management maybe different than alot of folks and will probably rile a few, but I have been hunting deer since I was 7, that would be 41 years now, and that experience has given me some wisdom. I have seen alot of changes in hunting methods, management, and ethics through the years, but none that upset me more than for any person, no matter who they are or how much money they spend, to think that they own wildlife of any kind. I am very fortunate that I own a place to hunt and have many other places that I can and do hunt, at one time in my life I didn't. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder, and when someone else takes a legal deer, I think good for them, especially if it is a kid. I'm not talking about poachers, I'm talking about honest people, exercising there right to hunt, just the same as you or I. I have a room full of mounts a several boxes of horns, some from private land, some from public land, and each and every one is a trophy to me, for one reason or another. I have never, or ever will, buy or sell a hunt, to me that is selling wildlife, something that should never ever have a monetary value put on it.
Don't rile me at all if someone has never killed a buck we don't care if they shoot a small one but guys around here will shoot 4 or 5 yrlng or forked horned bucks a yr then wonder why they don't see any good bucks so in a way they are poaching as we are only allowed 1 buck per season in our area and you will see 10-20 does for every buck and they have NO concept of managing a healthy deer herd

Red Bull Breeder":291ynmxa said:
If you want to control the gene pool some of them young bucks need shot. Most spikes will never and alot of fork horns will never be any thing but junk.
That is why we watch the cameras and can identify the bucks that aren't producing or are just culls and we selectively take them out
our deal is if you kill all them 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 yr old deer you won't have very many nice bucks that will score over 140
I am a big supporter of them passing a law to where a buck has got to be at least 4 pts on 1 side like alot of the states have
a healthy deer population is 4 does to 1 buck around here I am probably running 10 does per mature buck or more

Latest posts