Jug line fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1qn90a8c said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1qn90a8c said:
callmefence":1qn90a8c said:
Thin pieces and very hot grease. Agreed it's inferior to saltwater fish.

I've been grilling/smoking some catfish lately. It ain't blackened Redfish with cheese grits, but it works in a pinch.

Redfish? Only eat it in a pinch and when your really hungry. Gotcha Fenceman, I was hoping there was a trick to cooking freshwater fish. Speck, white perch, and crappie with bass a close second are my favorite freshwater fish to eat.

You don't like redfish, or a conservation reason?

callmefence":dzfm3d41 said:
True Grit Farms":dzfm3d41 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":dzfm3d41 said:
I've been grilling/smoking some catfish lately. It ain't blackened Redfish with cheese grits, but it works in a pinch.

Redfish? Only eat it in a pinch and when your really hungry. Gotcha Fenceman, I was hoping there was a trick to cooking freshwater fish. Speck, white perch, and crappie with bass a close second are my favorite freshwater fish to eat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHZLeiySWVI
Could be because the Cajuns fished the redfish all away.

It is illegal here. But I have seen a few jug lines for spring king salmon down on the Columbia. They bury the jug in the sand on the beach so you would never know it is there until a king hits and then the jug comes flying out of the sand and out into the river.

callmefence":29ngsr2t said:
True Grit Farms":29ngsr2t said:
Farm Fence Solutions":29ngsr2t said:

Conservation? I conserved nothing when it came to making a living, " kill em all " use to be my motto. I was with my uncle when he made a 1.2 million pound purse seine set on bull reds in 1977 in Louisiana. He filled 7 boats up and turned the rest loose, probably a 1.5+ million pound set. Louisiana ran the purse seine boats out a couple of years later. I just don't care to eat them, a small red isn't bad but a speckled trout is much better. To me deep water grouper and tile fish are hard to beat fried. Yellow fin Tuna grilled - seared less than 10 seconds per side is about as good as it gets. IMO

callmefence":3g8e8l6u said:
True Grit Farms":3g8e8l6u said:
How do you fry fresh water fish and keep the meat firm?

I disagree nothing beats a good channel or blue cat in cornmeal and fried.

I like chasing jugs.

Cross-7":31d3uyic said:
I enjoy the heck out of it, but it's illegal in most places around here.
Paddling around chasing jugs makes for a fun day and a good meal that night

Where are you in Oklahoma that fishing with jugs is illegal?

True Grit Farms":3ntb1zav said:
callmefence":3ntb1zav said:
True Grit Farms":3ntb1zav said:

Conservation? I conserved nothing when it came to making a living, " kill em all " use to be my motto. I was with my uncle when he made a 1.2 million pound purse seine set on bull reds in 1977 in Louisiana. He filled 7 boats up and turned the rest loose, probably a 1.5+ million pound set. Louisiana ran the purse seine boats out a couple of years later. I just don't care to eat them, a small red isn't bad but a speckled trout is much better. To me deep water grouper and tile fish are hard to beat fried. Yellow fin Tuna grilled - seared less than 10 seconds per side is about as good as it gets. IMO

I'm with you on the tuna. I've had fresh grouper . I guess I prefer snapper. Red, mutton, lane really doesn't matter. We've caught some good meals of mangrove snapper without stepping in a boat. Very good little fish.
Put together many a fish fry with whiting caught out of the surf. Good as any crappie.
Specks are good just don't confuse em with sand trout.

Best meal of my life involved a redfish...But it really had nothing to do with the fish... :cowboy:

wacocowboy":2f1ruy13 said:
callmefence":2f1ruy13 said:
True Grit Farms":2f1ruy13 said:
How do you fry fresh water fish and keep the meat firm?

I like chasing jugs.

Small fish. Under 2 pounds outta flowing river in cool weather are hard to beat.
The belly meat from a big yellow cat has the buttery flavor of some saltwater fish, but it involves killing a big fish for a little usable meat. I usually release any big ones.
Fed fish outta my tanks , we stop feeding several days before we take a bunch out. Otherwise they can have a off flavor

gage and I just caught a 5 gal bucket full of tilapia in the flood zones here...fish are up in the newly flooded grass and we slayed em for and hr and just got tired of catching em. didn't take any pics but we only kept the 10'' or better ones and filled that bucket in an hr...he said his arms hurt we caught to many. they fried up good too. not alotta meat on em but not bad eating....farm tilapia suck tho

callmefence":14d76uvu said:
wacocowboy":14d76uvu said:
callmefence":14d76uvu said:

I like chasing jugs.

Small fish. Under 2 pounds outta flowing river in cool weather are hard to beat.
The belly meat from a big yellow cat has the buttery flavor of some saltwater fish, but it involves killing a big fish for a little usable meat. I usually release any big ones.
Fed fish outta my tanks , we stop feeding several days before we take a bunch out. Otherwise they can have a off flavor

Yeah I prefer younger fish.

Someone mentioned redfish. Try filleting them, but leave the skin and scales on. Season them and throw them on a grill with the scales down. When it's done you can peel the meat off the skin. My wife doesn't like fish, but likes them like that.

I love jug line fishing. It is probably my favorite form of fishing. When I was young we use to do it with my uncle. We would get there early in the am and put out jugs then go bass or crappie fish. Every so often when moving from one spot to the other we would check the jugs. We would also do it in the evening and check them thru the night while crappie fishing under the lights. You could usually tell by the way the jug was sitting or if it had moved a good way from where you dropped it if there was a fish on but not always. We had some that would try to run from the boat. I would lay on my belly on the front of the boat and it was my job to grab the jug. The next guy or the driver would have the net. :D I loved grabbing that jug and feeling a big ole fish on the end.

A family friend had one of those custom aluminum boats where the deck was at water level. It had no sides. We ran jugs in it a couple time and it was fun. You could just flop most of the fish right in the boat.

I like the windshield wiper fluid bottles. They are tough, durable, and have a handle made on already.

True Grit Farms":2quwqz4r said:
M-5":2quwqz4r said:
Mullet is the cream of the crop when it comes to fish

I really like fresh fried mullet also. Do you mix cracker and corn meal when you fry fish?
Those that haven't tried it just don't know what they're missing.
2 years in Pensacola sure changed my mind on eating a 'nasty ol mullet'..

Latest posts