Shooting across fence line

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have a friend who is an absentee land owner, his property is in wild life tax exempt , no cattle, he comes down about once a month, his adjoining neighbor leases his property to deer hunters, one of the hunters has set a deer feeder on the property fence line, he set up his deer stand so when he shoots the bullet will go into my friends property. Under Texas Law the bullet can not cross the property line but the problem is he has to prove the bullet crossed the property line. He is upset with the situation , he has talked to the landowner with no results. This is a bad situation and he was going to contact the Game Warden , but I do not believe he get will results.

Not sure about proving a bullet crossing the line but how would they retrieve the deer? In My even if you shoot a deer on a property you own or allowed to hunt on you have no right to enter another property to get the deer.

tom4018":2yhc2ia5 said:
Not sure about proving a bullet crossing the line but how would they retrieve the deer? In My even if you shoot a deer on a property you own or allowed to hunt on you have no right to enter another property to get the deer.
It ain't like that in Texas. Why wouldn't you want to let a hunter retrieve his deer if it crossed your property line?

People don't over think this put up some game cameras around this stand. If they trespass, file on em. Or you can put up sound emmiters that run off a battery and usually have a motion detector that will sound if triggered.

Kingfisher":1si7jx0r said:
tom4018":1si7jx0r said:
It ain't like that in Texas. Why wouldn't you want to let a hunter retrieve his deer if it crossed your property line?
Just stating what the law is, probably that way to discourage people shooting across the line. They have to have permission to enter private property.

tom4018":2b23fane said:
Kingfisher":2b23fane said:
tom4018":2b23fane said:
Just stating what the law is, probably that way to discourage people shooting across the line. They have to have permission to enter private property.

That's the way it is here in Georgia also. It's called landowners rights. If you didn't have to have the landowners permission to look for a deer, how could you ever keep poachers off your property?

I believe in Texas to retrieve a deer from another property permission has to be granted, or you are a trespasser , no one has approached him to get permission to retrieve a deer on his property, His concern is the deer stand is set up where they could easily hunt his property without his permission. No one is their to protect his property.
Why would you not want someone to retrieve a deer? Lawsuit is why , trespassers on your property ,if injured can now sue the landowner, With the yahoos out their hunting you don't know what kind of person you are letting on your property.

cowboy43":3jwbtcri said:
I believe in Texas to retrieve a deer from another property permission has to be granted, or you are a trespasser , no one has approached him to get permission to retrieve a deer on his property, His concern is the deer stand is set up where they could easily hunt his property without his permission. No one is their to protect his property.
Why would you not want someone to retrieve a deer? Lawsuit is why , trespassers on your property ,if injured can now sue the landowner, With the yahoos out their hunting you don't know what kind of person you are letting on your property.

The question I have is why do these guys always feel the need to set up right on the property boundaries? They can set their bait anywhere on their own property, but they alway seem to choose to put their stands up right on boundaries.. have some out of state boys who hunt on 28ac of woods that border me on two sides.. last year they asked if they could set a stand up that would look out over one of the hay fields. I appreciated the communication and said that'd be ok, just to inform me before coming on to retrieve deer. Went back a week later and they had 6 different stands set up along our entire property borders, all facing my property. When he called me later in the season to look for a deer, I met him and told him I sure as heck didn't appreciate him setting up all those stands pointed out to me and my boys (when we hunt). Stands were taken down. Try to be a good neighbor, but some people take a mile when given an inch.

The game warden told me if the dove I shoot falls on someone else's property or the wounded deer runs on someones property, you have the right to go after it but you must leave your gun on the property you came from. Of course it is always best to ask first.

We use to years ago dove hunt on a old railway right of way. The subject was brought up because of the narrow hunting area and birds falling across the fence.
The owner of one of the adjoining properties called the warden on us so he explained the law to all of us. It may of been just his way of keeping the peace.

bird dog":s3ldp5el said:
The game warden told me if the dove I shoot falls on someone else's property or the wounded deer runs on someones property, you have the right to go after it but you must leave your gun on the property you came from. Of course it is always best to ask first.

We use to years ago dove hunt on a old railway right of way. The subject was brought up because of the narrow hunting area and birds falling across the fence.
The owner of one of the adjoining properties called the warden on us so he explained the law to all of us. It may of been just his way of keeping the peace.

Your information is outdated. It used to be that way but now you must get permission from the landowner.

cowboy43":s3ldp5el said:
I have a friend who is an absentee land owner, his property is in wild life tax exempt , no cattle, he comes down about once a month, his adjoining neighbor leases his property to deer hunters, one of the hunters has set a deer feeder on the property fence line, he set up his deer stand so when he shoots the bullet will go into my friends property. Under Texas Law the bullet can not cross the property line but the problem is he has to prove the bullet crossed the property line. He is upset with the situation , he has talked to the landowner with no results. This is a bad situation and he was going to contact the Game Warden , but I do not believe he get will results.

Ran into the same deal a few years back. I placed a old ground blind against the fence on my side. In a direct line with their feeder and stand. Didn't take them long to move things around. I consider hunting fence lines to be bad manners

I have a climber on the property line right now. Hopefully the jackass that has his stand one tree over doesn't steal it. He's from Florida so you never know. He's cut one of my trees down and cleared shooting lanes in 3 directions on my property. But I haven't been able to catch him on our property yet. Every year is getting worse and the law can't do anything for you. I'm going to end up killing someone for trespassing before the state makes trespassing a felony. Hopefully it'll be an accident.

About 320 acres adjoining our property is leased & they have tree stands along every fence - facing our alfalfa & brome fields. We've busted them actually on our property numerous times & after a "discussion" a couple years ago they now adhere to the rules (doesn't hurt that my husband is 6'5" & he's maybe 5'5"). That said, they shoot anything that moves. Called us last year because they shot a buck that had jumped the fence onto our property, needed permission to track it. Ummmm, it was a fawn. A-holes :mad:

TCRanch":14d08p2k said:
About 320 acres adjoining our property is leased & they have tree stands along every fence - facing our alfalfa & brome fields. We've busted them actually on our property numerous times & after a "discussion" a couple years ago they now adhere to the rules (doesn't hurt that my husband is 6'5" & he's maybe 5'5"). That said, they shoot anything that moves. Called us last year because they shot a buck that had jumped the fence onto our property, needed permission to track it. Ummmm, it was a fawn. A-holes :mad:
Be thankful they shoot every deer they can. Here I can't get people to shoot enough of them. I hate deer and deer hunters but if have to put up with the hunters they could at least thin the deer out some.
If every deer would fallo over dead then we would be rid of both.

I wish we had the problem of an overabundance of deer in Oregon. That said, I personally am uninterested in giving permission for someone to enter my property to retrieve a wounded or dead deer. That is and always will be the claim, I shot the deer on my side and it ran onto your side. I'd just ask where it went and thank them for the meat.

Personally, I'm getting more and more aggressive with trespassers. Most of the time, it is during hunting season. Where my property is, there is only a private easement (officially, an unmaintained road) to nothing but private property and no public access to any public land. Next time I catch someone on my property during hunting season, their weapons and vehicle/s will remain where they are when caught and they are welcome to walk away. They are also welcome to bring back a cop to retrieve their equipment. It's far easier to establish an illegal trespass and illegal hunting case this way instead of all the equipment and evidence being removed before a cop shows up.

Sometimes, a line in the sand is the only way to deal with a problem. :bang:

You CAN NOT go on to another persons property in Texas to retrieve game... or any thing really... with out their permission.

You have to prove the bullet crossed the boundary. Put up a large billboard right behind the feeder on your fence line. If they shoot and it catches the bullet you might have some thing.

Latest posts