Prolapsed Vagina

Help Support CattleToday:

By popular demand. The first picture shows both a rectal and vaginal prolapse. By the time I got her up the rectal had gone back in
Pretty darn graphic
pro1.jpg

pro3.jpg

pro4.jpg

pro5.jpg

Shows I am never too old to learn something here. Makes sense. I hope I don't need to but something else to try.
Posted at the same time as you. How do you stitch an rectal prolaps?

kenny thomas":3jnnkmd5 said:
Shows I am never too old to learn something here. Makes sense. I hope I don't need to but something else to try.
Posted at the same time as you. How do you stitch an rectal prolaps?

Don;t know about rectals. It went back in by itself and seemd to stay. I'm hoping it was a byproduct of the vaginal. I may find out in a day or 2 how to do it though.

kenny thomas":2eoyt6fu said:
Thats why I ask. I had never stitched one. The rectal always stays once I stitch the vaginal.
I asked about using those prolapse rings like they use on sheep, the vet said they don;t work very well on cattle. Never thought to ask why

Wow,

I have never heard anything about using the coke bottle. I learn something new every day.

Angus Cowman":3frp8qu4 said:
on the uterine I have used the coke bottle since it is hard to find the old ones we went to using the 1 liter plastic and fill it with water
works well

I wondered if those would work. I knew a vet a while back that had a big box of the old bottles, that was all he used them for. When he took one out he cleaned it soaked it in alcohal and put it back in his kit.

dun":1y4iyps7 said:
Angus Cowman":1y4iyps7 said:
on the uterine I have used the coke bottle since it is hard to find the old ones we went to using the 1 liter plastic and fill it with water
works well

I wondered if those would work. I knew a vet a while back that had a big box of the old bottles, that was all he used them for. When he took one out he cleaned it soaked it in alcohal and put it back in his kit.

All this is real interesting to know. I have had a couple that had anal prolapses but never vaginal. I would get em up and walk em/run em and they would always pop back into place and never had anymore trouble.

We had a Charolais cow that had a slight vaginal prolaspe just before calving last year, only showed when she was laying down and went back in when she stood. She calved fine with no issues. This year about 2 months before calving, she had a big vaginal prolaspe and I figured she had lost the calf. Vet got it back in, said calf was still alive and instead of sewing her, he used something I have never seen before. It was like a dart. He went inside and pushed the dart up through the vaginal wall off to the side so he missed the rectum. It is in the hip area. Then he pulled it tight, put a clip in it and she was good to go. He said when she gets ready to calve, the calf will break the inside portion off and no string will need to be cut. He said he may not even break it but it won't hurt the calf either way. She has been very comfortable with it and is real close to calving so we will see it is works well. We do plan on selling her as we know this will continue to occur every year. Too bad, she raises good ET calves.

She stitched her with 3 sets of loops parallel straight down the sides of the vulva. The trouble was too much space @ the bottom. She (the vet) left about 4 inches or so open for her to urinate. This left enough room for the prolaps to slide out again. I added the fourth set of loops making 8 loops total with about 2 inches left for her to urinate. I used a draw string to sinch it all tight and that is holding. The vet gave me a tube of Bute to (an anti-inflamatory paste) to mix in with some feed once a day.

There was a noticable difference in the size (smaller) of the dried up prolaps though on the second go round. I guess that sugar trick really works. Like I said before it was really course and hard.

After questioning the vet, she told me that we have about a 70% chance that she will prolaps everything when she does calv. I am guessing that means uterus and all. Getting all that back in without the cow stepping on it is the challenge because if she does step on it and we put it back in she will bleed to death internally.

How do you stitch an rectal prolaps?[/quote]

Same as a vaginal. Start at the bottom and run the needle thru the skin and then the tissue, alongside the rectum and come out at the top (slightly to one side) under the tail. Thread the needle and pull the needle (with the tape) back down thru the bottom taking care not to lose the top end of the tape. Repeat on the other side-insert needle at bottom beside first entry, push needle up thru the skin then tissue on the side and exit at the top, beside your other exit under the tail. Thread the needle and pull the tape back down thru the entry. You will now have a horizontal 'stitch' under the tail with two pieces of tape at the bottom of the rectum. Tie a surgeon's knot first and tight enough for two or three fingers (high). Then tie a bunch of square knots, finishing up with a couple of shoelace knots. Hope that makes sense! An epidural makes this much easier to do.

Over the years, we have had seveal cows show the vaginal "ball" when close to calving & laying down. They would "show" year after year, and (knock on wood - head - everything!) I have NEVER had a vaginal prolapse. Have had uterine prolapse - and, yes, the SUGAR works great. Helps shrink it and makes it "gritty" to handle better.

Prolapsed Vaginas are a awful pain.

I had one last year and have already had one this year. Cows a week or so from calving. I used to go through all the work putting it back and stitching. Cows always just keep on pushing, pulling stitches. Often prolapsing the rectum and going down hill rapidly. And when the cow does calve she will strain so hard that she will likely push her uterus out, making more problems then the cow is worth.
So, before the cow starts going down hill and before she is pumped full of antibiotics. Yup! :cowboy: a bullet between the eyes, a quick C section. You got a live bottle calf and lots of hamburger. You can save the calf most of the time. To me this is the ONLY way to go. The cow is healthy and up and about, and the best way to cut the losses.

Angus Cowman":1abpwdj0 said:
why do you kill the cow, you can give the cow a spinal block, or you can do a c-sect and sew her back up and let her raise the calve then sell her

I have gone that route. Cow will likely not milk much, go down hill fast, eat a lot of feed and not show it, pumped full of antibiotics she can't be butchered. [she will need another shot or two] When it's time to sell she will show scar, be thin, and get a bottom kill price. Last year was the first time I went the kill route, worked out good, meat was very good. The cows were in good condition, why waste it? The one this year is quartered and hanging. I will cut it up this weekend. Calf is doing fine. For those that can handle it, I recommend the kill solution.

We had a first calf heifer prolapse her uterus yesterday after she calved, calf died because he got hiplocked and his nose and mouth were still covered with mucous. and to top it off the heifer can't get up so we will lose her too. Vet came out but wouldn't stitch her up, gave her some meds . my husband was not happy at all. He feels like it was his fault because he didn't go to the barn in the middle of the night to check the heifers. He has always been a softy when a cow or calf dies, it just really bothers him. You would think after all the years he has done it that it wouldn't bother him. Not a good start to the calving season, she was our 2nd to calve only 98 to go.

gertfan":32vpw1fx said:
He has always been a softy when a cow or calf dies, it just really bothers him. You would think after all the years he has done it that it wouldn't bother him.

I wouldn;t think that at all. Still bothers me after just shy of 50 years.

Ploughman's wife here, writing for him since he's at the pasture. The mama cow is laying on her side, getting up, pacing, staying away from the herd, walking with a slightly haunched back. So at what point during her labor should he cut the stitches for her to be able to deliver? Thanks!

ploughman":1wlig174 said:
Ploughman's wife here, writing for him since he's at the pasture. The mama cow is laying on her side, getting up, pacing, staying away from the herd, walking with a slightly haunched back. So at what point during her labor should he cut the stitches for her to be able to deliver? Thanks!

If you see her water break or she lays down and really starts bearing down hard.

Latest posts