Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

bizybeehill

Reaction score
I have a cow that is due to calve any day now. Yesterday I noticed that sometimes when she lays down she appears to prolapse out of her vagina. It is about the size of a grapefruit. When she stands it goes back in. This is the first time I have seen this and I have a couple of questions. First do I need the vet now or can we wait and see how she does ? Is she now a cull cow ? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

As long as it is going back in on its own I wouldn't worry about it too much. Keep an eye on her. It is genetic, and can be exacerbated by, a big calf, a fat cow. We cull them, it almost always gets worse as she gets older. Get the calf out of her, even let her raise it, but cull her out of the herd. You shouldn't need the vet, unless it gets to the point that when she gets up it doesn't go back in.

Here is a good link, we discussed the same issue not that long ago.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33058

bizybeehill":1wo9tgtv said:
I have a cow that is due to calve any day now. Yesterday I noticed that sometimes when she lays down she appears to prolapse out of her vagina. It is about the size of a grapefruit. When she stands it goes back in. This is the first time I have seen this and I have a couple of questions. First do I need the vet now or can we wait and see how she does ? Is she now a cull cow ? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

About a month ago I had the vet put back a prolapse(a uterine prolapse I believe its called) of course he stitched her up. I just knew i would have to take her back when when she calved and then I would have to cull her. Two days ago she calved and 0 problems, I would have given some pretty good odds that she would have prolapsed but she didn't, made me feel pretty good as I consider this particular cow to be one of my best. You just can't always tell what these critters will do. I was very close to taking her to the salebarn but she is fine now it seems. BTW this was the first time I have ever had a cow prolapse a month before calving .

TSR":6im7fp6o said:
bizybeehill":6im7fp6o said:

Thanks

About a month ago I had the vet put back a prolapse(a uterine prolapse I believe its called) of course he stitched her up. I just knew i would have to take her back when when she calved and then I would have to cull her. Two days ago she calved and 0 problems, I would have given some pretty good odds that she would have prolapsed but she didn't, made me feel pretty good as I consider this particular cow to be one of my best. You just can't always tell what these critters will do. I was very close to taking her to the salebarn but she is fine now it seems. BTW this was the first time I have ever had a cow prolapse a month before calving .
it wasnt a uterine prolaspe or the calf would have came with it. it was a vaginal prolaspe the same as buzybee's usually there no big problem a few day before calving its just pressure were the calf is moving in position and they are dialated .when they lay down it puts even more pressure. most full vaginal will happen a month or so ahead

bizybeehill":a6jp27ed said:

Thanks

Want to hear something ironic? The cow in the thread quoted by randiliana came from the county beside of you. What do you guys have in the water up there? :shock:

Just for my curiousity's sake, would you mind telling her breed?

cfpinz

I had a cow doing the same thing a month before calving, but it only lasted a couple of weeks and I never saw it again. She had a healthy bull calf with no complications.

cfpinz, she is and Angus Herford cross. Good old black baldy. I bought her a the sale barn last year so I do not know much about where she came from. We figure she is about 6 or 7 years old. So is she now a cull cow or what ? She is a nice cow with the exception of this prolapse thing.

bizybeehill":1d2dlhpo said:
cfpinz, she is and Angus Herford cross. Good old black baldy. I bought her a the sale barn last year so I do not know much about where she came from. We figure she is about 6 or 7 years old. So is she now a cull cow or what ? She is a nice cow with the exception of this prolapse thing.

It's not all that unusual and unless they actually prolapse and it doesn;t go back in there's no reason she can;t produce more calves without problems. It isn;t something that I like to see, but it isn;t something I lose sleep over or would move to the cull list. Any other problems with her and it would be another strike against her, but.............

dun

A small prolapse like you're describing doesn't bother me all that much, but like dun says if it doesn't go back in on its own, it's time for a trip. Even if she calves fine and does her job, she'd be on probation here. I'd be willing to bet a drink or two this is why she wound up at the market last year.

Just for conversation's sake, I had to deal with two prolpases this year, both vaginal. One was on a neighbor's cow (F1 Baldie from a horned cow) and one of my own, a reg 4 yo herf. The first is already on Wendy's dollar menu, the second is on her way when she weans off her calf.

cfpinz

it only gets worse with each calving. i ship mine as soon as i notice any bulge, i let one have to be sewed up and i am not going through that again. they go on my cull list...

I'm with Dun on this one. I've had cows start showing "the ball", and ignored it and they did it every year for maybe 10 more years. It can "show" on most any cow close to calving with a large calf and full bellie, laying down.
Now, if it comes out - ever - she's a cull after raising the calf.
I never consider it a strike against her if it just "shows"

Well she delivered a health heifer Sunday morning. She seems to be a great mother. Taking good care and plenty of milk. So I guess its now decision time.... Ill post a pic of the calf when I get it.

Latest posts