Profit from cattle?? Where is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

being new , as I clearly am, would people buying my ET products actually pay decent or not cause I am new. Even though the pedigree and EPD's are solid though

They would pay what they think they are worth.

If you are so new that you would not be able to distinguish the poor ones from the good ones, and offer the poor ones at a sale, the prices would probably not be decent overall.

ET does not guarantee good offspring by any stretch of the imagination.

that is what I need to learn. I was of the belief to buy reg angus recipient cows and buy higher dollar embryos from star dams and star bulls.

so, how do i gear toward genetic supremacy at all?

MikeC":3iya26ph said:
being new , as I clearly am, would people buying my ET products actually pay decent or not cause I am new. Even though the pedigree and EPD's are solid though

They would pay what they think they are worth.

If you are so new that you would not be able to distinguish the poor ones from the good ones, and offer the poor ones at a sale, the prices would probably not be decent overall.

ET does not guarantee good offspring by any stretch of the imagination.

Just like everyone else. Buy the best genetics you can afford and go to it.

But then if you are inexperienced, how would you know the best genetics? By the selling prices? Afraid not.

Some of these big operator guys will see you coming from a mile away and gobble you up.

Even hiring a consultant is risky.

You are going down a road that has been traveled many times before.

Be very careful. Please. I've seen guys sink millions into a plan like yours. Some came out OK. Many did not.

OhioRiver":3d9snzyo said:
that is what I need to learn. I was of the belief to buy reg angus recipient cows and buy higher dollar embryos from star dams and star bulls.

WHY would you buy registered cows to use as recipients of some other cow's embryo?

MikeC":1lhfidee said:

Just like everyone else. Buy the best genetics you can afford and go to it.

But then if you are inexperienced, how would you know the best genetics? By the selling prices? Afraid not.

Some of these big operator guys will see you coming from a mile away and gobble you up.

Even hiring a consultant is risky.

All the people that have successfully traveled down this road had to start somewhere though. Right?
You are going down a road that has been traveled many times before.

Be very careful. Please. I've seen guys sink millions into a plan like yours. Some came out OK. Many did not.

All the people that have successfully traveled down this road had to start somewhere though. Right?

Correct. But most of the successful ones had at least some type of cattle experience to start with.

I am only trying to convey to him to be careful, and ease in to this slowly. Right?

I was told that it helps on the EPD's

Brandonm2":302flr6m said:
OhioRiver":302flr6m said:

WHY would you buy registered cows to use as recipients of some other cow's embryo?

I am trying to arrange deals with local cattlemen to be able to put a couple of recipient cows on their property and then ET them. I am looking for real calving ease with growth potential with excellent maternal traits that add some blessings to the ultrasound world too. I want a donor to be in the high $B 40's to low $B 50's and the bull to be in the high 50's or above. the search is practically impossible without going through someones sale. too many people i have talked to take their dam's eggs and premix them to sell. why is that? what if I don't want that bull?

MikeC":r6e8dx6u said:

Correct. But most of the successful ones had at least some type of cattle experience to start with.

I am only trying to convey to him to be careful, and ease in to this slowly. Right?

Why would someone want to buy a calf from you when they could buy the same embryo as you and have it implanted in one of there own cows???

OhioRiver":304o7i8e said:

Brandonm2":304o7i8e said:
OhioRiver":304o7i8e said:

No association that I am aware of (unless something has radically changed) includes any of the performance data from an ET calf in EPD calculations.

So could I buy a very good commercial angus to do ET with as long as both the dam and sire of the embryo are registered?

Brandonm2":1x5j1ity said:
OhioRiver":1x5j1ity said:

Brandonm2":1x5j1ity said:
OhioRiver":1x5j1ity said:

No association that I am aware of (unless something has radically changed) includes any of the performance data from an ET calf in EPD calculations.

Yes. The Angus association only cares about the parents the genetics comes from. The sire and the donor dam both have to be registered for the calf to be registerable. The recipient could be (and often is) a Holstein. All she does is raise the calf for you. Whether the recipient cow is a Hereford, baldie, commercial Angus, Gelbvieh, Beefmaster doesn't matter too the Angus Association.

Brandonm2":32w6ztbk said:
Yes. The Angus association only cares about the parents the genetics comes from. The sire and the donor dam both have to be registered for the calf to be registerable. The recipient could be (and often is) a Holstein. All she does is raise the calf for you. Whether the recipient cow is a Hereford, baldie, commercial Angus, Gelbvieh, Beefmaster doesn't matter too the Angus Association.

Actually they do care.

"Guidelines for weaning weight interims
-The animal must have registered parents.
-The animal must have been weighed at weaning with at least one other animal of the same sex in a proper contemporary group with not more than three days between weigh dates.
-Interim expected progeny differences (EPDs) are not calculated from interims of parents if the animal has no weight record.
-Individual weights of embryo transfer (ET) calves raised by registered Angus recipient cows are used for interim EPDs and are included in the National Cattle Evaluation (NCE).
-Individual weights of embryo transplants raised by nonregistered Angus recipient cows are not used in interim or NCE EPDs.
Note: An animal's own weaning weight must meet all data edits required for NCE, in addition to being from a proper contemporary group."

http://www.angus.org/performance/Docume ... umbers.pdf

Latest posts