Processing trouble question

Help Support CattleToday:

wshn41

Reaction score
I took my steer in to be processed after making an appointment. Dropped him off on time etc, Feb 26,2024. After 21 days of not hearing back that it was ready I called. They replied with butcher wasn't in at the time and they couldn't give me an eta. I called back a few days later. Was told they were backed up and it might be awhile. Waited a full month called again talked to the butcher and the owner. Told me would be ready Friday ( this was on a Monday ) I got there Friday morning nothing it wasn't started and they had to search for the cut sheet. It will be ready Monday. I call Monday morning instead of driving the hour and … yep not ready, it's not frozen yet wait until tomorrow. I go for pick up on Tuesday as told it wasn't frozen. I feel with all the run around I got that they lost my steer.( Was given a hanging weight of 606 first time I called ). My steer was grass fed grain finished. And I'm just not real satisfied that what I got was my steers meat. Ended up A month and a half after drop off before I got my meat back and that was because I kept calling them. Opinion?

I took my steer in to be processed after making an appointment. Dropped him off on time etc, Feb 26,2024. After 21 days of not hearing back that it was ready I called. They replied with butcher wasn't in at the time and they couldn't give me an eta. I called back a few days later. Was told they were backed up and it might be awhile. Waited a full month called again talked to the butcher and the owner. Told me would be ready Friday ( this was on a Monday ) I got there Friday morning nothing it wasn't started and they had to search for the cut sheet. It will be ready Monday. I call Monday morning instead of driving the hour and … yep not ready, it's not frozen yet wait until tomorrow. I go for pick up on Tuesday as told it wasn't frozen. I feel with all the run around I got that they lost my steer.( Was given a hanging weight of 606 first time I called ). My steer was grass fed grain finished. And I'm just not real satisfied that what I got was my steers meat. Ended up A month and a half after drop off before I got my meat back and that was because I kept calling them. Opinion?
Ps I've used this processor before and always had my meat back within 21 days

So am I reading this right that it was 5 weeks from slaughter and still not yet frozen? I know some people hang them for awhile but that seems awful long to hang without having an agreement beforehand. I think I would be suspicious as well.

Sometimes they get backed up, but that does seem excessive.
Where we take ours is generally hung for around 14 days then allowed time to freeze after packaging.
There are times where family emergencies or staffing issues could affect timing with small family owned processors.
We were told by the processor during a conversation about timing that they had recently had a death in the family and they closed down for a day or so and it put them behind, so I can see a few days longer at times.
The time frame you stated does seem excessive.
The processor we use, wants the product moved out as soon as possible to make room for the incoming animals.

So am I reading this right that it was 5 weeks from slaughter and still not yet frozen? I know some people hang them for awhile but that seems awful long to hang without having an agreement beforehand. I think I would be suspicious as well.
I think they slaughtered hung then froze it before cutting. But I honestly just think they gave it to someone else or used it to fill a large hamburger order and then had to fine another to replace mine.

Sometimes they get backed up, but that does seem excessive.
Where we take ours is generally hung for around 14 days then allowed time to freeze after packaging.
There are times where family emergencies or staffing issues could affect timing with small family owned processors.
We were told by the processor during a conversation about timing that they had recently had a death in the family and they closed down for a day or so and it put them behind, so I can see a few days longer at times.
The time frame you stated does seem excessive.
The processor we use, wants the product moved out as soon as possible to make room for the incoming animals.
It was dropped off by appointment Feb 26 @ 8:00am , was supposed to hang 10-14 days. March 12 I called the first time. Called back in March 18. Was told they were behind and no idea when it would be ready. I had my daughter call like she was interested in bringing in a steer for processing they said 1 month out on appointments and would take about 1 month to get it back. I called April 1 and was told it would be cut Wednesday the 3rd frozen the 4th and I could pick up Friday the 5 th. I got there Friday and it wasn't

It was dropped off by appointment Feb 26 @ 8:00am , was supposed to hang 10-14 days. March 12 I called the first time. Called back in March 18. Was told they were behind and no idea when it would be ready. I had my daughter call like she was interested in bringing in a steer for processing they said 1 month out on appointments and would take about 1 month to get it back. I called April 1 and was told it would be cut Wednesday the 3rd frozen the 4th and I could pick up Friday the 5 th. I got there Friday and it wasn't
Even cut and they had to hunt down the cut sheet it wasn't in the basket in the office it wasn't in the basket in the cut room she went into the hang room and after a few mins came back with it. I was then told it would be ready for pick up Monday morning the 8th and I called and they said it needed to freeze. It would be ready Tuesday the 9th I picked it up but it wasn't frozen in fact the label on the meat said 4/8 for packed date.

So 6 weeks total and if I hadn't pitched a fit it would have been longer

I think they slaughtered hung then froze it before cutting. But I honestly just think they gave it to someone else or used it to fill a large hamburger order and then had to fine another to replace mine.
I have in the past sold a lot of slaughter beef and have never heard of a carcess being frozen and then cut up later. If not frozen after 5 weeks in a cooler there would be a lot of trim of bad meat. Any idea what you actually brought home?

May we ask what area this was in? People need to be warned. One slaughterhouse near me were caught a couple years ago stealing beef and also swapping good beef for old cow.

I have in the past sold a lot of slaughter beef and have never heard of a carcess being frozen and then cut up later. If not frozen after 5 weeks in a cooler there would be a lot of trim of bad meat. Any idea what you actually brought home?

Attachments

• IMG_5138.jpeg
    IMG_5138.jpeg
    601.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5582.png
    IMG_5582.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 36
Picture of steer taken right before he was taken in at 28 months grass fed then grained 1 time a day the last 2 months. Second picture is supposed steaks from him. I didn't think to weigh the meat when I brought it home

May we ask what area this was in? People need to be warned. One slaughterhouse near me were caught a couple years ago stealing beef and also swapping good beef for old cow it's i

May we ask what area this was in? People need to be warned. One slaughterhouse near me were caught a couple years ago stealing beef and also swapping good beef for old cow.
It's in Edna Tx. And definitely the last time I use them. I'll make the 2 hr drive to the next closest place next time

There is the "meat cutting room'" a family business here. They do on farm slaughtering, just shoot them in the head while they are happily eating feed. They hoist, bleed, skin, gut and take them to the butcher shop shop to hang, cut up and freeze. My only dealing with them is they sell bags of dog bones. They have been out of dog bones for weeks now. Maybe this is not a big slaughtering time of year. I'm not sure but I've seen cattle trailers parked out back. They also cut up elk and deer.

'Edna Texas. That's down near CT member Brute. He might have a comment about this.

I sure don't blame you for 'pitching a fit' and not wanting to use them again.

@kenny thomas is right, they shouldn't be freezing it then cut it up, I wouldn't think you could grind hamburger too good if the meat was frozen. Then on top of that you wouldn't want meat thawing out and then freezing back. It's bad enough trying to get it home before it thaws out too much.

Is there a lab you can mail in samples to compare DNA? I was wondering if you could take a small blood or ear notch sample of a live animal you drop off at the butcher and compare it against a couple samples of the meat you get back?

@kenny thomas is right, they shouldn't be freezing it then cut it up, I wouldn't think you could grind hamburger too good if the meat was frozen. Then on top of that you wouldn't want meat thawing out and then freezing back. It's bad enough trying to get it home before it thaws out too much.
The picture I posted of the meat was labeled T bones. But none of the meat has much fat.

Is there a lab you can mail in samples to compare DNA? I was wondering if you could take a small blood or ear notch sample of a live animal you drop off at the butcher and compare it against a couple samples of the meat you get back?
That I don't know. But gut feeling tells me that's not my meat I got back. I just hope like hell they didn't use a steer that had be given antibiotics etc before butchering. I like raising my own so I know what went in them

Big terminal stock shows do DNA testing of carcasses, but that involves large sums of $$$. You would have to have a lot of foresight to do that for a local beef processor. Heck, most don't even weigh the animals when you drop off, and most dropper-offers don't get a live weight before taking one in…

Latest posts