Problem with new bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Maxx

Reaction score
I just purchased a young Angus Bull. He weighs 870 lbs, not sure of his age. He is in very good shape, excellent disposition. I was out watching him and noticed a problem. When he pooped it was red tinted, clear watery, a little muccus. No green tint at all and they are on green grass. No signs of anything else. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated.

Maxx":2upglln0 said:
I just purchased a young Angus Bull. He weighs 870 lbs, not sure of his age. He is in very good shape, excellent disposition. I was out watching him and noticed a problem. When he pooped it was red tinted, clear watery, a little muccus. No green tint at all and they are on green grass. No signs of anything else. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated.

Maxx, are you saying this is a bull for breeding purposes? If so, 870 lbs. seems awful light to be both in good shape and ready to breed. Do you know what his diet was before he came there? If he was on real dry stuff and you put him on super green grass, his insides might be upset from the diet change but all of us are going to be totally speculating without pictures and more info. Good luck.

I believe he is a little young for breeding yet. I was referring to his good condition that he is not sickly or in poor shape. And I am not sure of his previous feed sources.

Is he up in corral etc.? If so, and you have him drinking out of a water tank get you some liquid Corid and put that in his water. Another option is to buy Corid in pellet form and mix it in his feed. B&G

At 870, he is at least 8 to 9 months old. Might be a coccidia infection but if he is in good condition, by that age they should have reached immunity levels that would protect them on open pasture. Maybe he is stressed from relocation. If you saw only one episode, I would watch to see a recurrence before treatment.

Latest posts