Priefert squeeze chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
Anybody have any dealings with a Priefert model SO191 squeeze chute. Trying to build some working facilities and was wondering if you thought it was worth the expense.

Is that the one they classify as the budget model or the real expensive one? I have the less expensive one and it works great.

No experience with Priefert but I looked long and hard this past year myself. My vet recommended priefert and Foremost. There are a slew of them out there. As a benchmark for you, I ended up buying an 8 year old used Foremost 450 HD, on wheels, squeeze both sides, manual headgate, with scales and palp cage for $4000.

Walker":20rzrymj said:
Its the budget model, with the automatic headgate. local coop is asking about $2600

That's the rig that we have, with the auto headcatch. The only problem I've seen with them is the housing that holds the anti-opening part can get gummed up and allow a cow to push through the headgate. Degunking them fixes that

I was Also considering a 90 sweep that would either alley into the squeeze chute or v off to a loading chute. the 90 sweep is about $1100 so I thought I might build one for that kind of money. And I would appriciate any sugestions.

Walker":2ddosuiw said:
I was Also considering a 90 sweep that would either alley into the squeeze chute or v off to a loading chute. the 90 sweep is about $1100 so I thought I might build one for that kind of money. And I would appriciate any sugestions.
We have an SO-4 Chute with a 180 degree sweep and open alley. Great set up, heavy duty, and not bad to set up or take down with two people, if you had to move it.Make sure if you buy a sweep, get a few extra alley panels, they come in real handy.

Crowderfarms":24ntt672 said:
Walker":24ntt672 said:
We have an SO-4 Chute with a 180 degree sweep and open alley. Great set up, heavy duty, and not bad to set up or take down with two people, if you had to move it.Make sure if you buy a sweep, get a few extra alley panels, they come in real handy.

This is what I have. Really like it. IMO one can not have enough panels.

Walker":1syb1fhk said:
Do you try to keep the chute or sweep up off the ground,say on gravel.

Ours is on roadbase but that's because the ground was so uneven. The site for the sweep has to be smooth and almost dead level. If it isn;t the gate will hang up as it goes through the tub. On ours, the first panels used for the alley leading to the scale and chute is a standard 12 foot panel with a 4 foot gate. We load out of the 4 foot gate. When the gate is swung in it cuts off the rest of thr alley and they have to go out the gate and usually/with luck, into the trailer.

2/B or not 2/B":1h0p1kgx said:
We have the Priefert economy model with the manual headgate. It works great but my only worry is whether or not a big ol bull will actually fit in it? When the cows are pregnant, they can barely squeeze through...

When the economy chute first came out it was 4 inches narrower inside then they are now. We had a number of widebodies that couldn't fit their hips in the chute. Called Priefert, they had a new wider model delivered, took out the old chute and installed the new one. Tough to complain about that kind of service.

I had a Priefert 90 degree sweep it worked ok but 180 would be better I think.I sold it when I left Ohio at my auction got $200-300 more than I paid for it :D . So it was a good investment ,but I don't think it was heavy enough and would encourage you to build your own if your handy.Also I guess priefert makes a good chute(I sure see alot of them), but I really like pearson. chutes

http://www.pearsonlivestockeq.com

I use the Preifert S04. I looked at the Preifert Rancher model and was worried about some of my wider body cows not fittng through it. I also purchased the automatic headgate but just use the manual function 95% of the time. I built a 90 degree sweep and curved alleys leading into the scale platform, then the PC, then squeeze chute. I also built a loading chute in the 90 degree sweep, cattle either go to loading chute or to alley leading to squeeze. I just used one of the plans from one of the universities. I made my alley ways 18" wide at the bottom 24" then 32" wide above that. That makes it easier to work calves without them being able to turn around.