Priefert chute score

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Pretty dang happy for now-scored a used Priefert chute with portable carriage for 2k. We'll see after it's off the trailer-THaT will be the challenge....

They just gotta be curious and stick their heads everywhere! Lesson here I guess is make sure the headgates are latched shut!

I have a S04 and it works very well although I never actually have got to use it because my wife runs it while I work the cattle into the alley. When we bought this farm 2 years ago the owner left a big valley squeeze chute (saloon doors) and we absolutely HATED it. Sold it and bought a Priefert and things run very smooth now.

Congrats. Like our Priefert (but not as much as the Titan), portable carriage is handy around the ranch but a nightmare if you have to take it on the highway. Can't go over 40 without it fishtailing - and an unhappy line of cars/trucks behind you. Got the t-shirt :oops: :roll:

There was an older Priefert chute here when I bought the place. All of my neighbors cussed it and were happy when I sold it and installed a Powder River XL that I already owned. A lot of people on here seem to like the Priefert. But my neighbors sure didn't like the one that was here on my place.

TCRanch said:
Congrats. Like our Priefert (but not as much as the Titan), portable carriage is handy around the ranch but a nightmare if you have to take it on the highway. Can't go over 40 without it fishtailing - and an unhappy line of cars/trucks behind you. Got the t-shirt :oops: :roll:

Definitely just a side road or on-property carriage, for sure!

chaded said:
I have a S04 and it works very well although I never actually have got to use it because my wife runs it while I work the cattle into the alley. When we bought this farm 2 years ago the owner left a big valley squeeze chute (saloon doors) and we absolutely HATED it. Sold it and bought a Priefert and things run very smooth now.

This is an older SO4 with the foot pedal control for the squeeze. We're going to do some heavy-duty WD40 treatments all over, but I'm hoping to love it after I learn it!

Correction-model 81, and I'm sure lots of folks will say it's not worth the shin bites, but it's a starter piece for us, so I'm hoping it does what we need it for

TCRanch said:

Ya, sure some of yall remember my post about pulling it with the carriage. I ended up talking to priefert and they said to air the tires down to basically nothing which actually did help. I pull it up on a big trailer with an atv or utv now and go. Still love the chute though. Its and SO4 I think.

If you can make a longer tongue for it, that would help a lot with the sway too... If you really want to get fancy, toeing the wheels a little apart would smarten it up too

Mine pulls good, i leave the palp cage on, maybe a little more weight. Im not gonna get on the interstate but 50, and no worries

I have the S04, and I love it. It's easy to use, and pretty handy. My wife wanted to give it a try and was surprised how easy it was to catch one and squeeze her down. I'm very happy with my purchase!

Dave, There is a lot of difference between the old prieferts and the new SO4's. I had a model from the late 80's or early 90's that was difficult to use. I have one from from a year or two before they SO4's came out. It worked much better and I still have it.

I now am on my second SO4 after my last one was included when the ranch sold. I would never go back to a saloon door chute after having a Filson. The SO4's are well designed and safe to use and work well when working alone which seems to be more the normal lately. The auto catch works well once you learn how to use it properly. It will also catch and hold baby calves. My only wish is that they were just a little bigger. They need another 2 or 3" of width and 4 or 5"of length. 2000 lb animals are a tight fit.

bird dog said:
Dave, There is a lot of difference between the old prieferts and the new SO4's. I had a model from the late 80's or early 90's that was difficult to use. I have one from from a year or two before they SO4's came out. It worked much better and I still have it.

I now am on my second SO4 after my last one was included when the ranch sold. I would never go back to a saloon door chute after having a Filson. The SO4's are well designed and safe to use and work well when working alone which seems to be more the normal lately. The auto catch works well once you learn how to use it properly. It will also catch and hold baby calves. My only wish is that they were just a little bigger. They need another 2 or 3" of width and 4 or 5"of length. 2000 lb animals are a tight fit.
Main reason I prefer our Titan. Granted, not all my cows are huge (fat, tall, long) but even the smaller ones sometimes hesitate getting in the Priefert. And yet the Priefert is easier for me to use.

A little WD40 and everything seems to work ok. I know it's not as awesome as a new one, but it's better than the nothing we started with 👍

We really like our Priefert chute and its almost 18 years old and still going strong. We use the carriage a lot moving between 3 farms, but they are only a few miles away from each other. Ours have a guard in the front that the cows have to step over to get out, but the newer ones don't have that.

bird dog said:

I have a priefert palp cage and it's too narrow, I have 2 cows that just can't squeeze through. :lol2: