Priefert head gate seized up

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33

Reaction score
We inherited a Priefert model 91 head gate when we bought our place awhile back. Never had any use for it until now as we also have a squeeze chute. Decided to add it to an alley. The gate won't open, looks like the lock box on one side won't move up and down the bar. Is there a trick to getting this loose or am I better off getting a new lock box?

Call Priefert, IIRC the headgate locks are guaranteed for life. They will probably send you new ones for free.

I talked to one of there reps at a trade show, mine was getting tough to close fast and it says on the locks light lubricant so I never put much of anything exept a little wd 40 on the bar, but he said soak it in wd 40 put all you want in the locks, but wd 40 only.
You can send them back for replacement, if you don't want to do all that loosen the 4 bolts on the lock a 1/4 turn or so, spray alot of wd 40, that may loosen things up, if it does just tighten back up that same 1/4 turn.

Around here the main problem is dirt daubers get inside and bind everything up. Might want to take them apart and check that. If it hasn;t been used in a long time the metal plates that do the locking could be rusted together.

Look along the bottom rail . Almost all of the problems with mine are from shyt getting caked along the bottom rail and drying hard. It's enough of a problem that I keep a digging bar and flat shovel next to the only preifert I own.

Last week I called Priefert to order a new head lock that went missing on my early 1980's head gate. They were very kind ans sent a new part which I received the next day. I noticed yesterday that the head lock handle was rusted and bent so I called Priefert this morning and again they were very kind and agreed to send another handle today. These folks can't be beat for warranty and service. My gate is thirty-five years old.

Latest posts