Pricing heifers straight off the farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it sounds like the guy was trying to take advantage of you. Knock off the commission, huh? Well how about you tack on the added value of buying straight off the farm with no co-mingling with other cattle and disease exposure. And, being able to see the source herd, sires and dams, actually know a little about the cattle and not just go by what you can see in the sale ring. And have the advantage of a set price, no risk of a bidding war if somebody else has their heart set on the same cattle. Plus he has bought from you before, so if he was coming back for more the quality must have been there.

Your giving a heck of a deal Tom. On the commercials, I figure market price plus $200 and on the registered market plus $400. So a heifer from me right now would be $1000 on the commercials, $1200 on the registered. There has to be value to giving up the opportunity on cattle that you know work.

MO_cows":1cfz6a8z said:
I think it sounds like the guy was trying to take advantage of you. Knock off the commission, huh? Well how about you tack on the added value of buying straight off the farm with no co-mingling with other cattle and disease exposure. And, being able to see the source herd, sires and dams, actually know a little about the cattle and not just go by what you can see in the sale ring. And have the advantage of a set price, no risk of a bidding war if somebody else has their heart set on the same cattle. Plus he has bought from you before, so if he was coming back for more the quality must have been there.

Thanks Mo_cows. I had a nice long response typed up saying the exact same thing and my computer went blank and I lost it. I just said forget it since I wasn't going to retype all that. You saved me some work :mrgreen:

HOSS":2765ytkc said:
MO_cows":2765ytkc said:

Thanks Mo_cows. I had a nice long response typed up saying the exact same thing and my computer went blank and I lost it. I just said forget it since I wasn't going to retype all that. You saved me some work :mrgreen:

I charge close friends market price and let them pick what they want. A butt hole like him it would be an extra $200. I pay the price for good bulls and have sires and dams for them to see. I think good heifers are going to be hard to find this spring.

Cabo":2p4k3tfx said:
HOSS":2p4k3tfx said:
MO_cows":2p4k3tfx said:

I charge close friends market price and let them pick what they want. A butt hole like him it would be an extra $200. I pay the price for good bulls and have sires and dams for them to see. I think good heifers are going to be hard to find this spring.
I thought he was someone I was becoming friends with. Sometime I wonder if he bought too many to o soon, as he is buying weaned heifers and not going to have anything to sell for a while.

I thought I was being fair with him and myself, just wondered what others thought. Sometimes it is hard to see the complete picture when you are in it. He acted like he was a little upset over one of the last heifers, she had pinkeye as a young calf and ended up with the blueish haze to her eye. We had so many last year without looking at records I could not remember she had had it until we had her in the chute retagging her. Told him he did not have to take her but he did and complained weeks later, told him I would take her back and take her to the salebarn as it would not hurt her there. Wanted to keep him happy, guess I should not worry too much about what others think.

MO_cows":7f8p42rh said:

DItto!! I sell almost all my calves right off the farm. My friend/Neighbor weighs his truck at coop come loads them and weighs again. I follow him to the scale he writes me a check. He expects to pay more than market price or at least top market price w/ commission. He says it's worth more for knowing what your getting. Sorry to hear bout your issues. "Some people won't let you treat them fair". Another one of my Dads sayings. Good luck. B&G :tiphat:

I think you are being more than fair. Some people do not follow the cattle market very much and get sticker shock when they see prices compared to what they were the last time they bought.

Us rookies say and do some off the wall stuff in our freshmen years based on the mixture of bullshyt and honest information available to us, and not enough experience to tell the difference between them.
If he sticks with it for any kind of time I'm betting will realize the value of what you offer and come calling again.
If he has'nt been a complete jerk, when he comes back, accept the fact that he respects you and your cattle more than he did the first times.
Personally I think prevailing CWT picked off of the farm is a very good deal.

I think you are being absolutely fair.
That's the beauty of a private sale. The seller gets to name their price. If you don't NEED to rush of and sell them specifically at a certain place for a certain price just for quick cash, why shouldn't you get the MINIMUM (fair market value in my opinion) of their worth?
My brother consistently gets above average or top price on the ones that go through the barn, so that's what he asks when he has someone that comes to him for what they want.
The heck with the noise of "knocking off commission"
He is getting his pick... the best in his eyes. That should be worth him "paying commission"

Tom, you are actually too nice in pricing your heifers. For the same reasons mentioned here (weaned, vaccinated, not mixed with sale barn calves, source verifyed and on and on). Good quality heifers raised and managed like that deserve a premium.
You will not have any trouble selling those calves, put a premium on them and stick to it, they will sell. Still too much junk out there if some want to go the cheap route.
DM

The thing about the buyer asking you to "knock off the commission" sounds like its coming from someone who has been to one of those negotiating seminars and makes a bit of a game about getting a little bit more off of the price. He is also trying to make you feel bad about the one with a bit of a haze on her eye - another way of getting you down on your price.

If he was really concerned about the haze he would take you up on your exchange offer.. He's not concerned, he loves that heifer. That's why he's back trying to buy more. He's just trying to get your price down.

Maybe its just me but when I offer someone a fair deal and they start using these negotiating tricks on me, my price starts going up. Then I start bring up the cost of weaning and the shots and how maybe I don't really want to sell them just yet...

Offer him what you consider a fair deal and if they try pulling that stuff on you, think of reasons the price really needs to be higher and maybe you won't be selling them right now...

Good luck and hang in with these folks. Its really sort of a game some people play.

Jim

SRBeef":3kbqdcyf said:
The thing about the buyer asking you to "knock off the commission" sounds like its coming from someone who has been to one of those negotiating seminars and makes a bit of a game about getting a little bit more off of the price. He is also trying to make you feel bad about the one with a bit of a haze on her eye - another way of getting you down on your price.

If he was really concerned about the haze he would take you up on your exchange offer.. He's not concerned, he loves that heifer. That's why he's back trying to buy more. He's just trying to get your price down.

Maybe its just me but when I offer someone a fair deal and they start using these negotiating tricks on me, my price starts going up. Then I start bring up the cost of weaning and the shots and how maybe I don't really want to sell them just yet...

Offer him what you consider a fair deal and if they try pulling that stuff on you, think of reasons the price really needs to be higher and maybe you won't be selling them right now...

Good luck and hang in with these folks. Its really sort of a game some people play.

Jim

I love the way you think. :D lol

mrvictordomino":1i3f18j8 said:
Tom, you are actually too nice in pricing your heifers. For the same reasons mentioned here (weaned, vaccinated, not mixed with sale barn calves, source verifyed and on and on). Good quality heifers raised and managed like that deserve a premium.
You will not have any trouble selling those calves, put a premium on them and stick to it, they will sell. Still too much junk out there if some want to go the cheap route.
DM

Thanks for your input.

I had extra yearling heifers last year (registered shorthorns). I put add in paper selling for 20-30% over sale barn price and phone rang off hook. I could have sold twice as many. My problem was I wasn't expecting this and neglected to pull 5-6 of the better ones out before hand so I ended up with the 5 that were left when i shut off sales.

Tell him that if he doesn't like the price to go to the sale barn and try to pick them up for cheaper! Let him know where and when the sale is. Maybe he will learn his lesson that way.... just my thought.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1i94u2r2 said:
Tell him that if he doesn't like the price to go to the sale barn and try to pick them up for cheaper! Let him know where and when the sale is. Maybe he will learn his lesson that way.... just my thought.

Yes. And he pays the commission. When they go way above the price he is willing to pay, thank him for his bids that drove them up.

backhoeboogie":wy5e5sac said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":wy5e5sac said:

Yes. And he pays the commission. When they go way above the price he is willing to pay, thank him for his bids that drove them up.

Good Idea. Except I've never been to a Sale barn that the buyer pays the Commission. But,the point is he won't know what they will cost there till their sold.

Latest posts