Pricing heifers straight off the farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For those that sell straight off the farm how do you determine your price?

Been selling some for the last year off the farm, mainly to one guy. Some are registered and some commercial all out of the same bull. Up until now we had just weight taped them and priced them per head, we have compare our weight tape results to ones weighed at the sale barn and usually pretty close. We bought some scales and i priced some to him again today. I based my price on what weaned heifers did at the salebarn we normally use, compare some of the others to be safe.

I must have gave him sticker shock as he backed out on me. I told him that the heifer that average 550 were around $140 cwt at the salebarns, so I told him we would do that. On the registered one I would do her for market price plus the fees involved. Thought I was being fair, but the first thing he says is that I need to knock off the commision. I think it is worth a little extra for him as he can see the cows they came from and the bull. They are vaccinated and wormed, we usually run them thru and retag them for him.

It does not save me a trip to the salebarn as I still have to haul the steers and the heifers he does not want.

Am I being fair? He has bought several head in the last year and I thought we had a good relationship, but after today's call I am wondering.

Even though you say the tape was giving you close to the correct weight, does it seem odd that he bought from you good until you got the scales and knew for sure on the weight. Was he reselling them or making cows out of them before? Otherwise sounds to me like you are being honest with him.

good heifers sell, if he doesnt buy them someone else will. i think thats as fair as it gets, a buddy of mine sells his registered heifers for steer price plus registration fees and sells them all.

I would think anybody that wanted replacement heifers would be tickled to death to pay market price. He must not want heifers.

kenny thomas":3thtwb37 said:
Even though you say the tape was giving you close to the correct weight, does it seem odd that he bought from you good until you got the scales and knew for sure on the weight. Was he reselling them or making cows out of them before? Otherwise sounds to me like you are being honest with him.
He has them still, he retired from a fire department and bought a farm, starting a herd.

bse":27qoc6wj said:
good heifers sell, if he doesnt buy them someone else will. i think thats as fair as it gets, a buddy of mine sells his registered heifers for steer price plus registration fees and sells them all.
I am going to put them in a special weaned sale with the steers and other heifers he did not have interest in.

Bigfoot":v0nrfsro said:
I would think anybody that wanted replacement heifers would be tickled to death to pay market price. He must not want heifers.
Did as always, sent him pics and one is a full sister to one he bought last year. He seemed a little reluctant when I told him I was weaning them but really wanted 2 or 3 of them, said that worked better getting a few at a time. He asked for a price, told him I would weigh them to be sure, called him tonight with the weights and told him what Guthrie sold for Thursday. Went downhill from there, one of his things was knocking off commision from my price.

I think you are offering him a good deal if he doesn't want to buy them somebody else would be happy to buy them.He might buy some cheaper at the sale barn but would be taking a chance on them.

you talking about the CPH sale in July? They have some pretty good bred heifer sales in Guthrie also.

Doesn't sound like he has been dealing with you in good faith. Better to sell at the barn then it's all cut and dried. Tell him if he is interested to come to the sale and buy them for FAIR MARKET PRICE

bse":824flnq1 said:
you talking about the CPH sale in July? They have some pretty good bred heifer sales in Guthrie also.
UPI in Bowling Green is having a special weaned sale Feb. 22nd.

kenny thomas":2mlke5qo said:
I think calves will be higher this week than last week. Watch and see if that is correct in your area.
That is one reason I told him I would base the price off this week at the salebarn.

noticed Saturday sale here heifers under 500 8.00 to 12.00 higher steers under 500 4.00 to 8.00 higher everything else steady.

bse":2jvdfqvj said:
noticed Saturday sale here heifers under 500 8.00 to 12.00 higher steers under 500 4.00 to 8.00 higher everything else steady.
I think the cattle on feed report came out Friday. One buyer already called me saying his orders were higher for tomorrow if I had any to sell.

tom4018":8zw78dkp said:
Bigfoot":8zw78dkp said:
Did as always, sent him pics and one is a full sister to one he bought last year. He seemed a little reluctant when I told him I was weaning them but really wanted 2 or 3 of them, said that worked better getting a few at a time. He asked for a price, told him I would weigh them to be sure, called him tonight with the weights and told him what Guthrie sold for Thursday. Went downhill from there, one of his things was knocking off commision from my price.
You sorry sucker. I can't believe you would command such a high price as the local sale barn for your weaned, vaccinated, pre-tagged, heifers. :lol:

Gators Rule":3boni0os said:
I agree with Isomade, you are a sorry cuss! LoL It's hard to believe anyone wanting to sell at market value. :frowns:

Well it takes all kinds!

What makes his deal even better is all cattle are graded at the yard. The only calves that sell as singles have something "wrong" with them. This retired fireman want find a group smaller than probably 25 calves at the yard. His only hope is off of an individual if he just wants a few.

Latest posts