prices keep dropping

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch":m34c4j6r said:
WalnutCrest":m34c4j6r said:
That's a 3% annualized increase over five years.
That is one way of looking at it.
A more meaningful way of putting it into perspective is...
The current price of 117.20 is 9.2% lower than the 4 yr mean average price of 129.08 received from dec 2010 - dec 2014

I fear the five year cattle market from 2011 - 2015 will be known as "the good old days" and a long time in returning.

Most long time cattlemen on these boards said the prices of 2014 were unsustainable.

I was told when I started helping with the family farm in 2011 that it was difficult to make a lot of money with cattle. I'm beginning to see that come true. 2012-early 2015 sure had me spoiled.

Well one thing is for sure..... The American farmer can't raise enough beef to support the American people without making a profit at least some of the time. The average farmer is over 60. A younger man can not farm or ranch simply because he wants to. If he can't make a living he will be forced to quit. Then the American public depends on agricultural imports from other countries completely. If that ever happens, God help us all. Sometimes I think that's what our govt. really wants.

Most of the miserable wretches that cause us grief, live in dead waste land. They gotta be getting food from somewhere. Puzzles me, why we don't find the faucet and shut it off.

Bigfoot":1m2jgwp1 said:
Most of the miserable wretches that cause us grief, live in dead waste land. They gotta be getting food from somewhere. Puzzles me, why we don't find the faucet and shut it off.

Amen Bigfoot. That would be so simple.

hey beef is getting like the dairy busness has gotten it has high imputs and 0 profit.so the day is coming to decide if your staying in or getting out.the good years have allowed us to replace alot of equipment.the truth is its just a matter of how tough you are.

Son of Butch":2xi2dhaq said:
WalnutCrest":2xi2dhaq said:
That's a 3% annualized increase over five years.
That is one way of looking at it.
A more meaningful way of putting it into perspective is...
The current price of 117.20 is 9.2% lower than the 4 yr mean average price of 129.08 received from dec 2010 - dec 2014

My comment is neither more nor less meaningful than yours. Both involve arbitrary starting and ending points, with a variety of assumptions along the way.

Son of Butch":2xi2dhaq said:
I fear the five year cattle market from 2011 - 2015 will be known as "the good old days" and a long time in returning.

In a lower-revenue world, high-input operations are at a structural disadvantage to low-input operations.

Americans have screwed up priorities. They will pay $1000 for a phone but want dirt cheap beef, vegetables, oil, ect.

They complain about big corperations and no jobs, but force the domestic, individual out of business.

They have the money but choose to blow it on junk.

Brute 23":26hsbpo6 said:
Americans have screwed up priorities. They will pay $1000 for a phone but want dirt cheap beef, vegetables, oil, ect.

They complain about big corperations and no jobs, but force the domestic, individual out of business.

+1

Brute 23":1mo70no9 said:

Can't have citizens using force against you. Need a government agency to collect money to protect your right to produce what people don't want. Didn't work too well in the Soviet Union, but certainly worth another try.

Bigfoot":221ragfk said:

Man, I wish we could get over our obsession with the Middle East. We've blown trillions of dollars, which comes out of our pockets somehow, and then we complain about not making enough money.

As for starving them, already tried that in the 90's, resulting in a lot of dead Iraqi children. And they hate us, "because we're rich and free"!

Secretary of State Albright said it was worth it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnskeu-puE

Countries shouldn't line themselves up for failure then when it comes to food. If your country can't grow enough food to support yourselves, relying on others is gonna let you down eventually. Same as africa and anywhere else humans try to force nature to allow them to live there. And we as the 'free and rich' countries shouldn't have to cover the shortfall and be guilted into believing its our duty to. Hard to survive on sand alone. Can't feed yourself or your children? Shouldn't have had them - natures way of teaching you the hard truth? death, It doesn't get any more basic than that.

I'd love to have 5000 cows on my place, but there's no way I can feed them - I should reach out for assistance with that.

Supa Dexta said:
Countries shouldn't line themselves up for failure then when it comes to food. If your country can't grow enough food to support yourselves, relying on others is gonna let you down eventually. Same as africa and anywhere else humans try to force nature to allow them to live there. And we as the 'free and rich' countries shouldn't have to cover the shortfall and be guilted into believing its our duty to. Hard to survive on sand alone.

Excellent post. But it doesn't matter if you live in a free and rich country, if you depend on others to survive, one of these days you'll be very disappointed.

ram":2pkck07l said:
Supa Dexta":2pkck07l said:
Countries shouldn't line themselves up for failure then when it comes to food. If your country can't grow enough food to support yourselves, relying on others is gonna let you down eventually. Same as africa and anywhere else humans try to force nature to allow them to live there. And we as the 'free and rich' countries shouldn't have to cover the shortfall and be guilted into believing its our duty to. Hard to survive on sand alone.

Excellent post. But it doesn't matter if you live in a free and rich country, if you depend on others to survive, one of these days you'll be very disappointed.
Unless Hillary gets elected