How Long to Keep Calves on Grain Daily?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
Sorry - me again... Just wondering suggestions for how long it is necessary to keep calves on grain daily. They are also out on pasture, so definitely eating plenty, but want to be sure they are getting what they need for as long as they need it to stay good and healthy!

Our boys are about 7 or 8 months now and they are angus cross... Estimated to be about 400 - 450 lbs.

7-8mos old they should be eating 5lbs of feed a day if still on grass and more if in a feed lot.
My weaned March calves are getting silage (made out of 200bu. Corn) plus a 1lb of shell corn, and 1lb of 34% grower /Hd/day.

7-8mos old they should be eating 5lbs of feed a day if still on grass and more if in a feed lot.
My weaned March calves are getting silage (made out of 200bu. Corn) plus a 1lb of shell corn, and 1lb of 34% grower /Hd/day.
What age can they be completely off the feed and just on grass? Not that we mind the feeding, just curious?

What age can they be completely off the feed and just on grass? Not that we mind the feeding, just curious?
I guess it depends on what your end game is for them. If you plan on selling them as green yearlings then I guess you could stop any time. If you plan on finishing them out, then just plan on increasing their grain as they grow. Either way having them trained to come when you holler isn't a bad thing.

Talk about feeding grain to a calf around here and they will look at you like you are crazy.
Our boys were all bottle calves, so weren't getting all they needed from momma. We'd be doing it a bit different if they had momma to care for them :)

Bottle calves are an entirely different story. About 2 to 4 pounds of grain a day. Angus cross with what? If it is dairy cross just plan on keep feeding the grain.

Are you going to carry them through the winter? Taking them off the grain will slow their growth down so like the others are asking, what is your end game for them?

Talk about feeding grain to a calf around here and they will look at you like you are crazy.
I'm sure all the tractor jockeys around here think I'm crazy for raising hay on ground that could be row cropped. Ton for ton we can raise silage and corn cheaper than hay.
Stockpiled pasture and hay gets saved for the cows. Weaned calves go to the feedlot.

Bottle calves are an entirely different story. About 2 to 4 pounds of grain a day. Angus cross with what? If it is dairy cross just plan on keep feeding the grain.
2 are Holstein cross and 2 are jersey cross. They're growing nicely for sure! Thank you.

Are you going to carry them through the winter? Taking them off the grain will slow their growth down so like the others are asking, what is your end game for them?
We'll keep em through the winter, so will continue with the grain on top of their grass. Got plenty of hay to make it through the winter as well. It;s not at all a hassle to feed them the grain - Just more curious. Also because we go away from time to time for a few days here and there, so I suppose another question would be is it ok to skip a few days when we are gone (as long as they have grass? Or is it best to just get the neighbor over to give them their grain?

We'll keep em through the winter, so will continue with the grain on top of their grass. Got plenty of hay to make it through the winter as well. It;s not at all a hassle to feed them the grain - Just more curious. Also because we go away from time to time for a few days here and there, so I suppose another question would be is it ok to skip a few days when we are gone (as long as they have grass? Or is it best to just get the neighbor over to give them their grain?
Get a neighbor to help and keep grain ration consistent. Skipping one night isn't usually an issue. But 3-5 days means restarting grain can lead to acidosis/bloat. Keep their rumen stable -- ask a neighbor.
Others may disagree.

Depends on your goals and your grass and your cattle...

Usually economical to supplement up to 0.5% of body weight daily. Could be protein, could be energy. Protein supplement could be done every third day. Energy supplement should be done daily.

Usually need well developed rumens to consider NOT supplementing. The timing for no supplement varies with sex and grass and breed. Being over 600# may work for forage only Angus X steers.

Last edited:
Usually economical to supplement up to 0.5% of body weight daily. Could be protein, could be energy. Protein supplement could be done every third day. Energy supplement should be done daily.
Steve, not sure this is a valid question, but how can a person tell the energy amount from the feed tag on the two listed below. Thanks.20% cube.JPG34% cube.JPG

I will kinda agree and disagree. If you are only going to supplement with only .05% of their body weight, you can skip a few days. Cattle can EASILY be started at 1% of their body weight with grain. If you are looking to get good growth, that should be increased to at least 3% of their body weight. If you are just wanting to keep them alive, with very minimum growth, hay/grass will be just fine.
Since you sound like you are extremely new at this, has anyone suggested DEWORMING your calves? This is probably more important than anything if they have not been done.
You said you will keep them thru winter - then what are your plans for them? Just sell or try to butcher?
I have never raised a dairy cross or fed such a low amount of feed.

If you supplement more than .5% - - or 3 pounds of energy based feed for a 6 wt. stocker - - you have a negative effect on the rumen bugs that like grass fiber. This means you need a good higher protein pasture sward plus some corn like supplement, to get an economical rate of gain in the 2 pounds per day range for an extended period.

If you are grazing rank or poor or dead grass w/o much legume, then you are usually working with a much lower rate of gain even with a protein supplement to help them digest it. Perhaps .5 to 1.0 pounds per day. There is some data out there for supplementing with a high rate of DDG - - which can work well with the grass fiber digesting rumen bugs - - because the ethanol plant took the starch out.

These rumen efficiency issues with providing grain on pasture, along with maintenance energy required to sustain a large animal, are major reasons we have feedlots. Feedlots stink but they are much more economical than pasture finishing when you have cheap grains.

Last edited:
I will kinda agree and disagree. If you are only going to supplement with only .05% of their body weight, you can skip a few days. Cattle can EASILY be started at 1% of their body weight with grain. If you are looking to get good growth, that should be increased to at least 3% of their body weight. If you are just wanting to keep them alive, with very minimum growth, hay/grass will be just fine.
Since you sound like you are extremely new at this, has anyone suggested DEWORMING your calves? This is probably more important than anything if they have not been done.
You said you will keep them thru winter - then what are your plans for them? Just sell or try to butcher?
I have never raised a dairy cross or fed such a low amount of feed.
We will be planning on selling them and possibly breeding one of the two heifers we have. The steers have already been dewormed and vaccinated as needed when they were babies. We've had 4 of them since they ranged between 3 days old and 1 week. We recently got the 2 heifers from someone we know in exchange for helping them move and store some of there stuff at our place. Those two are about 2-3 months older. They are a bit bigger weight wise and more broad, but our boys are catching up. I assume they will fill out a bit different since they are angus cross. The heifers are 100% angus from registered stock. Here's another question we were discussing the other day - The two heifers, we aren't certain they have been dewormed. My husband was wondering if we should just go ahead and deworm them to be safe and IF we do, should we do the boys again as well? He has been working and helping out on cattle farms for years, but when they are your own, little things come up here and there that make you question if we're doing it right! As for feed - they are on decent pasture. We rotate every few weeks to a month to keep it growing good. They get about 4-5 lbs of grain each in the evening. They all seem to be pretty healthy and happy :)

Latest posts