prices keep dropping

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw some 8 weights bring the same yesterday. They were old for their size, and funky to, so hard to judge by them.

I just brought some home, think I will keep them for a while to see what they do price wise. That being said they will more than likely keep going down till I decide to go ahead and sell mine for the cheap price, then you just count on them to start back up after I sell.

BRYANT":3611zcdi said:
I just brought some home, think I will keep them for a while to see what they do price wise. That being said they will more than likely keep going down till I decide to go ahead and sell mine for the cheap price, then you just count on them to start back up after I sell.

Well get on sellin will ya so the rest of us don't have to suffer :lol:

angus9259":3th4no3w said:
BRYANT":3th4no3w said:

Well get on sellin will ya so the rest of us don't have to suffer :lol:

Beat me to it! Sell, sell, sell!!!!

I don't feel so bad about selling mine week before last. I noticed they had dropped even more Wednesday and only had a little over 400.
I sure hope they pick up some first of the year.

ive seen and came from prices lower than they are right now.the thing is the high calf cow and bull prices spoiled us.i hope i dont see$.70 calves $.35 cows and $.40 bulls again.but who knows we didnt know any better and lived through it years ago.

bigbull338":35s8x5if said:
ive seen and came from prices lower than they are right now.the thing is the high calf cow and bull prices spoiled us.i hope i dont see$.70 calves $.35 cows and $.40 bulls again.but who knows we didnt know any better and lived through it years ago.

I never want to go back either, but I made good money back in those days backgrounding calves, with little fear of losing anything.

JMJ Farms":r7b6u0rq said:
Only thing is..... The input cost were lower then. / .70 cent calves now = out of business.
When is "then?" I'm getting my grass ready id like to buy some $1.00 bred cows.... Sell em as " grass@ fed....;)

Kinda eye opening to look at historical cattle prices. I've raised them for 40 years. Ain't experienced many years with prices over a dollar. Jmj is right about input cost, it's going to be a tough go if they get much cheaper. On the other hand, feed is reasonable right now. Fuel is certainly a bright spot in the budget.
Historical cattle prices:
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/ ... /b2-12.pdf

Bigfoot":2g77zwym said:
Kinda eye opening to look at historical cattle prices. I've raised them for 40 years. Ain't experienced many years with prices over a dollar. Jmj is right about input cost, it's going to be a tough go if they get much cheaper. On the other hand, feed is reasonable right now. Fuel is certainly a bright spot in the budget.

The real hard times will come post election...if prices continue to fall (for a multitude of reasons) and post election prices on fuel, feed and everything else that gets manipulated (to keep the masses happy during elections) go back UP to normal; well, it will be real tough to pencil things out unless you're selling that $8.00-$10.00/lb grass finished beef.

Feed is reasonable as Bigfoot said. And should stay reasonable. Fuel should be good until after the election. If I had to sell 500 pound calves for .70 cents I could weather a couple of years but I would have to supplement it with other income. You know what's bad? I work full time. For myself. I don't draw one penny out of my farm account. Farm uses my truck and me for free. I wean dang near 98% of calves that are born alive. (I've been lucky) And with the cost of everything I still worry sometimes that I might not be able to pay myself(and the bank) back. I work hard and I only want my cows to pay their way. Don't get me wrong, I like a dollar, but I fool with cows bc that's what I love.

JMJ Farms":21w5uqfw said:
Feed is reasonable as Bigfoot said. And should stay reasonable. Fuel should be good until after the election. If I had to sell 500 pound calves for .70 cents I could weather a couple of years but I would have to supplement it with other income. You know what's bad? I work full time. For myself. I don't draw one penny out of my farm account. Farm uses my truck and me for free. I wean dang near 98% of calves that are born alive. (I've been lucky) And with the cost of everything I still worry sometimes that I might not be able to pay myself(and the bank) back. I work hard and I only want my cows to pay their way. Don't get me wrong, I like a dollar, but I fool with cows bc that's what I love.

It'd be a shortage of beef, if it wasn't for people raising it for aesthetic reasons.

Bigfoot":1pflen8p said:
Kinda eye opening to look at historical cattle prices.
Disheartening to realize in one year all the gains it took over 3 years to achieve have been wiped out and then some.

Dec 2015 117.20
Dec 2014 163.26
Dec 2013 131.37
Dec 2012 125.18
Dec 2011 124.18
Dec 2010 101.43

WalnutCrest":fdvw1e7c said:
That's a 3% annualized increase over five years.
That is one way of looking at it.
A more meaningful way of putting it into perspective is...
The current price of 117.20 is 9.2% lower than the 4 yr mean average price of 129.08 received from dec 2010 - dec 2014

I fear the five year cattle market from 2011 - 2015 will be known as "the good old days" and a long time in returning.

Latest posts