Prices are up

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
I was at the sale today in central Oklahoma. Cow prices compared to a few months are way up. Last fall prices were low. Beef bottle calves were $150-250. Today they were 300-475. One tiny thing that looked an hour old sold for $90. Black steers 350-450 pounds in the fall were 1.40-1.70 Today were 1.80-2.20. Black heifers same weights were going for 1.05 to 1.20 in the fall today were 1.50-1.80. Even 900 pound steers today were bringing 1.20-1.50. We watched the bull sale. Poor slaughter bulls were .60. Better were .85-.90. A couple were over a dollar. Pairs were light test but were 1000 to 1400. I was pretty encouraged. I know prices have a low in the fall but prices are already higher this year than they got last year ever. I was also surprised to see so many fat calves with the weather and hay situation we had this winter. Those really over fat calves were docked at the per pound price. Also there was more people at that sale than I have ever seen there. How are things at your local sales?

Feeder cattle prices are up, particularly better quality vaccinated calves, with the weather getting warmer and the grass starting to grow. Slaughter prices had been coming up, but I noticed a downward trend the last week or two, especially on cows. Quality could be part of the price drop.

Mentioned on the thread "HOT" that prices here were up a good $.20 or more on steers on Friday. Most were in the 1.40 to 1.65 with some up to 1.78, for 375 to 550 wts. Heifers up maybe .10, best were in the 1.35 range. People starting to get grass fever maybe? Had a week of sun and temps a little better, next week mostly sunny looking and temps in the 50-70's.

Wednesday's prices stunk at Turner County Livestock. I'll be taking a break from selling there for awhile. How can the cattle futures be up and the prices down at the sale barn?

I sold 40 calves 2 weeks ago. Steers and heifers. Weaned 90 days, cut, shots, etc. They averaged 548 lbs and $748 after commission, checkoff, etc. I was satisfied. Highest market we've had in quite a while.

FWIW, they sold a group of bulls (7 head) straight off the cows. Not cut, not weaned, no shots. Averaged 415 lbs brought $1.76. $730/hd. Doesn't give the producer who is trying to wean and vaccinate much incentive to put in the extra effort.

JMJ Farms said:
I sold 40 calves 2 weeks ago. Steers and heifers. Weaned 90 days, cut, shots, etc. They averaged 548 lbs and $748 after commission, checkoff, etc. I was satisfied. Highest market we've had in quite a while.

FWIW, they sold a group of bulls (7 head) straight off the cows. Not cut, not weaned, no shots. Averaged 415 lbs brought $1.76. $730/hd. Doesn't give the producer who is trying to wean and vaccinate much incentive to put in the extra effort.

Mine did really good on 3/6 at Turner County, I was very happy with the price. This Wednesday they were $0.15+ back and didn't sell till 8:30- 9.

Probably the best 5 months I've had in cattle. Smooth and broken cows bought Nov- January out of kill pens have returned 30 to 100 percent what they cost. The top being the ones that calved. A good winter , warm and wet meant zero feed and very little hay. Just rotated on oat pasture. And a good bump in prices made it possible.

JMJ Farms said:

I know exactly how that feels...very frustrating but we keep plugging along. Bout decided to forgo auction on next year's crop and see if sell them elsewhere.

JMJ Farms said:

It seems like it isn't sometimes, but when times get tough and you've cemented that reputation for quality animals, it gets remembered and the price difference is more apparent. I have lost more than one nights sleep over it.

Sold 13 head on Friday. Steers, weaned over 45 days, some vacc but that doesn't seem to move the prices here much at all; 10 in one group, weighed a little over 5. I wasn't here so haven't seen the check. But my son called and said they brought 1.81. Was VERY PLEASED with that. The other 3 were split, one over 600 the other 2 went together but I don't remember what he said. Going to ship some more I think in the next couple weeks. I'd like them all gone by the end of April.

Some sales barn panic over a "protein shortage." Let them eat venison !
Corn price is down. Over over production.
Could be a good year to fertilize forage.

Latest posts