Price of lime

Help Support CattleToday:

now thats a big ouch.the last time i heard lime was $20 ton spread.i really figured it was up to $30 a ton spread now.scott

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1gcc7klr said:
What is everyone paying for lime these days in your area? I have priced it and it is $30.00 ton here! I just got my soil sample back and I need 2 - 21/2 tons per acre! ouch!! :shock:

last fall it was about $30 spread.

jt

Whatever the price its much cheaper than fertlizer. Its also the cheapest thing with the most benefits you can do.

Hope I don't have to charge those kind of prices. I would be out of business. We charge about $15-18 dollars a ton spread. This al depends on milage from quarry.

I priced it last week. $8.00 dumped on the ground. Buggy rent $25 a day. 45 ton minimum.

Basic slag a little higher. $14 a ton.

N2 price is high and will stay high as long as oil does. The natural gas producers price their product (which is used to make urea) off the the price of crude oil.

Have you tried at poultry litter to replace urea?

Steve

This is dumb question but what is N2? I know NH2 is anhydrous ammonia. Just haven't heard the term N2.

I wish I could get lime for $30 spread. Up here it is $80. When land is renting for $10 to $40 an acre with lots of it available it just doesn't pay to spread lime it is cheaper to just rent more land. And I really understand the benefit of lime but here it is just too expensive. What the heck and soil pH of 5.4 isn't too bad, right.
I calcuated the price of chicken litter spread as opposed to urea. In my area teh urea cost three times what chicken litter did and that is just figuring the N. There is a lot of P,K, Ca, and organic matter in the litter that i am getting for free.
Dave

One thing Kentucky has plenty of is limestone. The last lime I had lime spread was $11 a ton. I expect it has gone to $14 or $15 with the increase in the cost of fuel.

High nitrogen use in tobacco production made liming extremely important here. Most of my pasture land runs a pH of about 5.8 to 6.0 without liming but could easily drop in the low 5 range after being in tobacco a few years.

Here in East Texas it was $30 to $32.50 per ton spread. I recently had a custom operator tll me that it was going to cost him $25 per ton just in freight to get the lime from Georgetown to here in northeast Texas. You have to add the cost of the lime and spreading on top of that.

Sugar Creek":121gw7oz said:
One thing Kentucky has plenty of is limestone. The last lime I had lime spread was $11 a ton. I expect it has gone to $14 or $15 with the increase in the cost of fuel.

High nitrogen use in tobacco production made liming extremely important here. Most of my pasture land runs a pH of about 5.8 to 6.0 without liming but could easily drop in the low 5 range after being in tobacco a few years.

My farm drive is fifty feet across the road from a rock quarry. $9 per ton spread last spring (2005).

dont anybody have a water treatment plant close by they will haul you all the lime you want for free and even spread it themselves i ask the local extension office about this leftover product the water plants have and they said if any thing it was better than regular ag lime i took them the chemical analysis of it cant beat it

rws":og4mopso said:
dont anybody have a water treatment plant close by they will haul you all the lime you want for free and even spread it themselves i ask the local extension office about this leftover product the water plants have and they said if any thing it was better than regular ag lime i took them the chemical analysis of it cant beat it

We do. We're in line and have been since last summer.

Hummm thats something to look into, the water treatment lime, but we have to pay minimum of $85.00 per ton, and it comes bagged,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no bulk producers locally
, and no way to spead it really. Mountain pastures are way too steep. :cboy:

The price i was quoted was $28 / ton spread...that was before the most recent jump in fuel prices. I'm located in the north Georgia area.

Latest posts