Preparing the AI Syringe

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I prepare to AI at this table. My facility is only 80 feet from the house. I put the cow in the squeeze chute (or Crush as Ken calls it), go inside, prepare the AI syringe, and then go out and breed the cow/heifer.

I like to thaw in tap water. I know about where the knob on the sink has to be to draw water between 94 and 98 degrees Fahrenheit. I use the plastic Thaw Monitor to confirm temperature. I load the AI syringe, insert it under my upper body clothing, put on a sleeve with a dash of baby powder, grab the lubricant and a couple paper towels and go service the cow/heifer.

I prefer the manual thaw. I just don't want the complications of electric thaw.

Sounds like a carbon copy of my breeding procedure. only my house is 1/2 mile away so I use the old milk house. the only thing I didn't see you mention is your thaw time. I clock mine once in a while to make sure it thaws for at least 1-1 1/2 minutes.

Dsth said:
Sounds like a carbon copy of my breeding procedure. only my house is 1/2 mile away so I use the old milk house. the only thing I didn't see you mention is your thaw time. I clock mine once in a while to make sure it thaws for at least 1-1 1/2 minutes.

I time mine with my cell phone timer. I always go over 60 seconds.

I use 12v thaw unit, take my battery pack, plug in get er done. That cup is so outdated Ron.
I usually thaw next cow in line, so 60 to 120 sec most of the time. If its 1 cow I catch her drop the straw, pull up cystorelin give that shot then go pull the straw and load.

sstterry said:
A sous vide immersion circulator works well for thawing and you can maintain a constant controlled temp.
Are those special AI spectacles Ron? :p

I can't read the Thaw Monitor without them. ;-)

I don't see any sign of a Ken endorsed vacuum cleaner. I know a lot of people don't like those thermometers but i use one and once in a while check it against my digital one.

Ron, I make sure I wear the glasses while inseminating the cow. I find I can find the way through the cervix better with my glasses on, I'm a bit superstitious. I use a baby bottle warmer with an old dial type thermometer, I have a bottle of tap water and a thermos of hot water. I find I can judge the amount of cold and hot and get it to the temp very quickly and make subsequent adjustments easily and accurately, really no fuss.
And of course there are those that thaw in the cow and get good results. I have been told the most critical thing is not to subject them to variations in temp.

Ken

Latest posts