Premises ID

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1jis6sng said:
Just curious as to how many on here have been alloted a Premises Identification Number which will be mandatory by the "National Animal Identification System" (NAIS) soon.

Also, how many are currently keeping records (birth, immunization, etc.) to qualify for movement of animals in the event of the system?

Thanks for all replies.

back to the original question.........

we have our premise ID and we keep records to qualify.

what about you, Mike? have you signed up?

They started handing out premisis ID's here in February, I got that, got the BQA/CMP certification, and am just waiting for the on site inspection for SD Certified Beef program. Paid for the Bovitrak computer program, but have not entered any info in that yet. I have kept pretty good records of all calves birthdates, written on the back of their ear tag also. Most of their birth weights. All shots, the dosage, lot/serial # of the drug, and which side of the neck I gave the shot on, and the withdrawl date. All weaning weights, and yearling weights are recorded. If an animal needs a dose of antibiotic, they get a seperate treatment sheet for that animal. And the usual breeding dates, pasture in and out etc. All of that info is on the computer, and God forbid shall it crash, it gets printed out once in a while also.

Dee":wms2yod0 said:
They started handing out premisis ID's here in February, I got that, got the BQA/CMP certification, and am just waiting for the on site inspection for SD Certified Beef program. Paid for the Bovitrak computer program, but have not entered any info in that yet. I have kept pretty good records of all calves birthdates, written on the back of their ear tag also. Most of their birth weights. All shots, the dosage, lot/serial # of the drug, and which side of the neck I gave the shot on, and the withdrawl date. All weaning weights, and yearling weights are recorded. If an animal needs a dose of antibiotic, they get a seperate treatment sheet for that animal. And the usual breeding dates, pasture in and out etc. All of that info is on the computer, and God forbid shall it crash, it gets printed out once in a while also.
=======
Dee,
It is my understanding that Bovitrak provides off site backup files in such case...and for security.

web site:http://www.beefconcepts.com/bovitrak/how.php

txag":3tjzo2ii said:
MikeC":3tjzo2ii said:
Just curious as to how many on here have been alloted a Premises Identification Number which will be mandatory by the "National Animal Identification System" (NAIS) soon.

Also, how many are currently keeping records (birth, immunization, etc.) to qualify for movement of animals in the event of the system?

Thanks for all replies.

back to the original question.........

we have our premise ID and we keep records to qualify.

what about you, Mike? have you signed up?

Yes, I signed on a few months ago. I, as well as others here are wondering where it is going though.
I keep records on redwing software with barnsheets to back them up.
Of course when "crunch time" comes there will be two kinds of producers, 1-those that have, 2-those that have not.
Lots of "Old School" producers in my area that refuse to do anything different. Hope they don't get left out in the cold!
We'll see what happens!

Latest posts