Pregnant Cow With Bad Hips

Help Support CattleToday:

aammons610

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to this form. But Im seeking some advice. I manage a small cow calf operation for my company and while I have great knowledge in veterinary medicine and an animal science degree I lean more towards horses. So cattle problems are fairly new to me. I have one cow who is preg. and is about 3 weeks away from calving. However we have noticed her limping for some time( back right leg/ foot). She swings her foot inward when she walks and if you look at her from behind, she is off balance on one side- her hip and flesh sits higher on that side. Overall she looks great, still maintaining weight and She is still coming to get food and is not laying down. But I'm just concerned how much of a problem this is when she has the calf and if we are going to need to put her down after the calf is born. Its def not foot rot. When I get a picture I will post. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Cows with hip issues the last month or so of preganancy don;t bother me much. If it continues when she's not arrying a calf THAT bothers me. Could be as simple as the way the calf is laying inside and putting strabge pressures on things that is the cause. "Benign neglect" is called for.

She has a pinched nerve. I have one that does that every year for a couple of weeks before she calves. I have seen her quit limping with feet hanging out of her because the calf moved into the birth canal and got off that nerve.

She should be fine when she calves.

It almost sounds like she's had her hip 'knocked down' at some stage. It's a long time since I've seen a cow like that - I've never owned one - but I believe they carry on all right.
From what I've been told, the cows with just one side of the hip showing have been injured in a crush like the herd jamming her into a gate post or getting caught up somewhere.

If it was arthritis it would be the opposite way round - she'd be losing muscle on the side she's lame on.

crossposting - agree the pinched nerve most likely cause but do you also see the hip out of line as described? It's been a good few years since I've had any cows with nerve issues pre-calving.

regolith":1ane5lgg said:
It almost sounds like she's had her hip 'knocked down' at some stage. It's a long time since I've seen a cow like that - I've never owned one - but I believe they carry on all right.
From what I've been told, the cows with just one side of the hip showing have been injured in a crush like the herd jamming her into a gate post or getting caught up somewhere.

If it was arthritis it would be the opposite way round - she'd be losing muscle on the side she's lame on.

crossposting - agree the pinched nerve most likely cause but do you also see the hip out of line as described? It's been a good few years since I've had any cows with nerve issues pre-calving.

Rego my 130 cow I described does exactly the same thing when she walks. She picks it up and makes a circle with her foot as if she is trying to get it something back in place. thats why I suggested a nerve pinch. she will also carry that hip funny to relieve the pain till it passes

My advice would be to watch her very close at calving. If it is a permanent nerve damage, (as opposed to a temporary pressure pinch) she may have difficulty pushing the calf out.

she has been limping since about 2 weeks before Christmas. She is an older cow and has been producing calves yearly for years- experienced to say the least. Out of my 25 head ive got 11 on the ground and so far none have had any issues... she will prob be the one that does. Until recently this herd was not closely managed. they are left out on pasture will a bull year around so we do not know exact dates.

lets see if this worked. Not the bad cow but the herd. Ill be getting a picture of her later today. We are iced in this morning in houston

1336bafd-cc91-448f-86c1-2c9aa50026f8_zps326f06f7.jpg
[/url][/img]

When you post something if you click preview instead of post you will be able to see exactly how it looks

I had a 16 year old cow with arthritis... I kept her seperate from the others and gave her good food... she had her calf and raised it in a fine fashion.. it was the biggest heifer of the herd... I did put her down after weaning though, and kept her away from the bull through the summer.. certainly don't need him on top of her... If she really wanted to move, she forgot all about her hip.. such as to be mean to a younger cow, or to come for a bucket of grain

UPDATE: Cow had her calf about a week ago.. she is walking much better! even ran to the truck to get some feed. Calf is a 75lb bull calf. Thank you for all your advice!

aammons610":1yhnl2cf said:
UPDATE: Cow had her calf about a week ago.. she is walking much better! even ran to the truck to get some feed. Calf is a 75lb bull calf. Thank you for all your advice!
Thanks for the update! That is great news! :clap:

Glad you gave her a chance. The one I told you about is limping like crazy right now. I look for a calf within the week.

Latest posts