Pregnant cow showing heat?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess the other burning question is: Does she appear long bred?
If she was tested bred in May she must be due any time. An empty heifer should stand out from the rest.

Silver said:
If she was tested bred in May she must be due any time. An empty heifer should stand out from the rest.
I have plenty of cows that look bred after calving like Ms Porky here.. Palpating would probably be the only way to tell for sure

Silver said:

Silver, I read him to state that she was due May 15. So she if not aborted, is about mid-term right now.

Bright Raven said:
Richnm said:
Should I take her to be re-preg tested or sync her next week ?

No need to preg test. She lost her pregnancy. If she is standing, AI her this afternoon. Otherwise, you could give her Lutalyse in 8 to 10 days to recycle her. She will come back into heat after the Lutalyse shot. Usually 48 to 72 hours.

Not true, had a cow last year that the bull mounted and hunched every 21 days. She calved like the rest of them. I'd for sure be palping her before any drugs are administered.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Bright Raven said:
Richnm said:
Should I take her to be re-preg tested or sync her next week ?

No need to preg test. She lost her pregnancy. If she is standing, AI her this afternoon. Otherwise, you could give her Lutalyse in 8 to 10 days to recycle her. She will come back into heat after the Lutalyse shot. Usually 48 to 72 hours.

Not true, had a cow last year that the bull mounted and hunched every 21 days. She calved like the rest of them. I'd for sure be palping her before any drugs are administered.

Agree. He is having a vet palpate her on Monday. He will report the results.

I'll just add . . . had an old cow that would stand for any cow, bull or steer any time, any where - we called her the hose queen. Calved like clockwork.

Good call getting her palped before writing her off or giving her Lutalyse (which is absolutely not a 100% guarantee, got the t-shirt). Please keep us updated.

I agree with what's been said. I think false heats are very common. I had one I saw in standing heat about a month ago. She was standing hard. No bull with them, but the calves and other cows rode her hard. I marked her down as a "repreg" when I pulled them off the wheat in January. Guess what, today she was stiff legged, bagged up huge, and sliming. Her ai due date is jan 2nd.
I have saw this several times, and heard of it from several others.

If I was a betting man, I'd say she slipped the calf. I'd have her checked before I did anything drastic. a couple of years ago, I watched a "bred" cow stand for the bull multiple times one day while feeding. It was too muddy to get the trailer in to get her out and take to market, so I was holding off til things worked out to where I could ship her. about 3 weeks later, I went out to feed, and low and behold, there was a dandy calf nursing her. That was a first for me! Ever since then, if I see a cow being followed or standing to mount, I always swing her by the vet clinic on the way to the market just in case. Worst case scenario, I take her and she checks as safe in calf and I haul her back home. Better than putting a dang good cow in the butcher pen.

I had 4 or 5 cows written down as empty this fall because I had seen them bulling in the pasture prior to preg checking. Three of them turned out to be bred and on time.

I sold a cow that was standing for the bull a few years before the incidence I described above. She was standing one evening and I loaded her up next morning and sold in butcher pen. After the cow that missed her ride due to mud, I've always wondered if I screwed up by not checking the other one. She was a dang good cow...I should've checked her, but didn't. She was checked safe with AI heifer calf in March before being shipped in July. I can assure you I've contemplated that cow more than once since she left...I have 3 of her daughters in the herd that are stomp down good. I'll just have to make progress with those gals.

Richnm said:
She's open

Thanks for the update, my friend. Sorry but let's be honest, 98 % of the time when they behave like that, they are open. Nevertheless, you did what is right.

The only thing you may want to know is why. You could do an antibody test.

Richnm said:
I re-preg tested all the heifers. In that pen. She was the only one open.

Excellent. Now, 8 to 10 days from the observed heat, you could Lutalyse her and save about 8 days waiting for her to have a full cycle.

You could also set her up on a synchronization protocol. Example, 7 day synchronization and breed on heat detection.

Day 1. Insert CIDR and give GnRH
Day 7. Pull CIDR and give PG.
Observe for estrus and breed on heat detection. Give GnRH at time of AI.

Thanks for the update. Now that you know for certain you can make decisions..

....also, did you know that 63.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

Silver said:
Thanks for the update. Now that you know for certain you can make decisions..

....also, did you know that 63.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
which stats are you referring to ?

Latest posts