Preg cows positive for IBR, BRVD, and Lepto

Help Support CattleToday:

jayfarmlaw

Reaction score
Will it do any good to vaccinate now?

I bought the cows last December, supposed to be spring calvers. Had 2 abotions in a row, Waaay too early. Since then, I think 2 more have aborted. Blood tested the first two that aborted and the vet tech said positive for IBR, Lepto, and BRVD. I gave them all a lepto (killed virus) shot when I got them home in Dec.,, wormed them and gave them a blackleg shot.

Should I get them up and hit them with vacine now? I know that Novartis has a vacine that treats all . My vet said that there is not alot you can do to stop an abortion storm...just hoping for better news. He is gone until next friday.

Any other treatment advice that might save some calves out of this herd?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

And any calves born alive will probably be PI calves (Persistantly Infected IBR), you won't know without testing. And it would be wise to test them.
I would definately vaccinate all of them. Can't hurt, but be sure to use Killed Vaccines or better yet, use Nasalgen for the IBR PI3. Some cows may not be positive.

Immediately remove those animals from your herd.

Quarantine them now before you do anything else. Do not allow nose to nose fence contact, water sources should be kept separate also.

Lepto is easily treated, BRVD is shipping fever, but IBR is your worrisome problem. It can cause abortions, and can recur in animals that have gotten over it once. I'd be considering the nasal IBR vaccine on anything that might still be clean, as it gives rapid immunity.

jkwilson":1mug7a85 said:
Lepto is easily treated

Sometimes if caught early:

Merck Vet Manual
Treatment of Leptospirosis:
Tetracycline and oxytetracycline have been reported to be successful if given early in acute cases. Erythromycin, enrofloxacin, tiamulin, and tylosin are also effective in acute cases. Oxytetracycline, amoxicillin, and enrofloxacin may be useful to treat chronic infections. Blood transfusions may be indicated if anemia approaches a critical level. Treatment has limited effect on the course of disease once uremia has developed.

to be honest, I know nothing of lepto except to vaccinate for it.

As for IBR and BRVD and BVd, i know abit.
to vaccinate now, it won't....the damage is already done. The calves are already more than likely infected, this is why vaccinations are done pre breeding...for fetal protection. The calves are going to be at a serious disadvantage when they hit the ground.
They will also shed the virus, along with the cows, and shed even more while stressed through every hole, opening, snot shedding, saliva, semen, etc. So unless these animals have been quarented since arrival including the water, you have just infected your home herd. Best get all of them tested.
BVD is worse in that it compromises the system allowing secondary infections to take hold and cost alot if bucks to clear up. It also produces PI calves which will shed the virus every chance it get. the calf might look real healthy until slaughter but it will still shed the virus. The calves will be prone to scours, e coli, pnemonia, pink eye, in fact, any and all infectious diseases and sicknesses.

It would be best to get all the infected animals out of the breeding program...to stop the spred of the dieases.

To vaccinate now is like putting toothpaste back in the tube ....or closing the gate to keep the cattle in after they all got out.
gotta go to work,
good luck

I'm new to this chat group but thought I might give my 2 cents worth. With 32 years of beef cattle practice and 57 years of beef cattle experience I might ask several questions necessary to have a good idea where you're at: Were your cattle tested and found to be carrying antibodies or was there definitive testing done to show they have the diseases. These are totally two different concepts and your response should follow only a definitive diagnosis. Example: Many, many cattle carry antibodies for IBR, Lepto and BVD(Brvd??). This only means that the animal has seen this diseases in the past and doesn't correlate with active disease. Find out for yourself how accurate your diagnoses are before you respond. All of the above comments from others may be totally irrelevant otherwise.

Gary Lesamiz, DVM

[email protected]" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glesamiz":zvxtrk0b said:
I'm new to this chat group but thought I might give my 2 cents worth. With 32 years of beef cattle practice and 57 years of beef cattle experience I might ask several questions necessary to have a good idea where you're at: Were your cattle tested and found to be carrying antibodies or was there definitive testing done to show they have the diseases. These are totally two different concepts and your response should follow only a definitive diagnosis. Example: Many, many cattle carry antibodies for IBR, Lepto and BVD(Brvd??). This only means that the animal has seen this diseases in the past and doesn't correlate with active disease. Find out for yourself how accurate your diagnoses are before you respond. All of the above comments from others may be totally irrelevant otherwise.

Gary Lesamiz, DVM

[email protected]" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're right. He may not know a "Titer" from a "Tit". :lol:

Latest posts