Preferred DNA Test --- Zoetis/Pfizer vs. Igenity

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
Igenity's Profile
vs.
Zoetis's GeneStar

They both do 'tenderness' ... 'feed efficiency' ... and ... 'marbling'.

From there, Zoetis has a 'palatability index' test that combines tenderness with marbling ... and ... Igenity has a bunch of other things (temperament, maternal traits, etc.) that is added to theirs.

I know there are a variety of +'s and -'s in putting significance in these numbers on a piece of paper ... but ... if you were going to do one test (and not both), which one would you do and why?

Would it matter if you were running something a non-Angus-but-still-pretty-common breed (like Hereford, Charolais, etc.) or a not-very-common breed (like, say, Belted Galloway, Scottish Highlander, etc)?

Thanks.

I've been using the Igenity test for over 6 years. I looked at Gene Star but I found Igenity's scale to be easier to understand and explain to customers. They have also added a lot over the last few years. It is extremely helpful in our marketing of breeding stock.

WalnutCrest":2ej0hc6u said:
Igenity's Profile
vs.
Zoetis's GeneStar

They both do 'tenderness' ... 'feed efficiency' ... and ... 'marbling'.

From there, Zoetis has a 'palatability index' test that combines tenderness with marbling ... and ... Igenity has a bunch of other things (temperament, maternal traits, etc.) that is added to theirs.

I know there are a variety of +'s and -'s in putting significance in these numbers on a piece of paper ... but ... if you were going to do one test (and not both), which one would you do and why?

Would it matter if you were running something a non-Angus-but-still-pretty-common breed (like Hereford, Charolais, etc.) or a not-very-common breed (like, say, Belted Galloway, Scottish Highlander, etc)?

Thanks.

Consider the Igenity "Replacement Heifer test". It costs $20, you get 4 traits. Tenderness, %Choice, Maternal calving ease and Stayability. Those are 4 traits you can't get from other objective measures. You can do the test on any animal, male or female. It might be the best buy on the market, if you're gonna spend money on any of it.

I am a little "off" of Igenity right now considering the debacle they just caused in the Gelbvieh Breed. With their false positives for CA

3waycross":50es3hxm said:
I am a little "off" of Igenity right now considering the debacle they just caused in the Gelbvieh Breed. With their false positives for CA

How long did the mistakes go un-noticed and how was the mistake discovered?

alexfarms":13dmfdzt said:
3waycross":13dmfdzt said:

And what did they do about it?

alexfarms":2d3k72wx said:
3waycross":2d3k72wx said:

At least a year and i could be wrong but I think it was discovered when they said a GV animal should be affected with CA and he looked like a freight train. Apparently the test works on Angus but is incomplete for GV. Took over a year for this to come to light.

WalnutCrest":1aegm3jv said:
alexfarms":1aegm3jv said:
3waycross":1aegm3jv said:

And what did they do about it?

Not much yet. This just came out at the meetings at the stock show. I know they apologized but animals were culled because of this test so I am not sure where it will all shake out. I know they are scrambling fo rsure.

BTW this does not reflect badly on their normal profiles as they are accurate. I just think that next time they come out on a genetic defect they better have their ducks in a row.

Interesting.

A reply from a friend who doesn't hang out online said it doesn't matter much ... just that I should pick one and stick with it...if I'm going to pick one at all...

Regarding the CA mess with Gelbvieh, this is not an Igenity issue. The test was developed by Dr. Beever at Un. of Illinois. The CA test is sold by several labs including Igenity, Agrigenomics, and Zoetis (formerly Pfizer).

The CA results on Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh influenced cattle tested by ALL of these labs may or may not be incorrect. A new test is now being designed by Dr. Beever and should eliminate the false positives with Gelbvieh cattle.

The Igenity replacement heifer profile now consists of six traits for $20. They are ADG, stayability, RFI, maternal calving ease, percent Choice, and tenderness.

UG":2qkr8mah said:
Regarding the CA mess with Gelbvieh, this is not an Igenity issue. The test was developed by Dr. Beever at Un. of Illinois. The CA test is sold by several labs including Igenity, Agrigenomics, and Zoetis (formerly Pfizer).

The CA results on Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh influenced cattle tested by ALL of these labs may or may not be incorrect. A new test is now being designed by Dr. Beever and should eliminate the false positives with Gelbvieh cattle.

The Igenity replacement heifer profile now consists of six traits for $20. They are ADG, stayability, RFI, maternal calving ease, percent Choice, and tenderness.

Maybe so but they sold it without reservation and caused a lot of cattle to be sold and some pretty famous AI sires to take one hellova hit on semen sales. Post Rock Granite being one of the more notable.

I have nothing against the $20 profile but I am thinking that going forward I may only use the Color coat and Polled tests on my sale bulls.

BTW I would feel a lot better if there was a test to check Dr. Beevers new test when it comes out. A test that has the potential to impact the cattle industry that much needs a lot more verification for my money.

I think the original DNA tests for tenderness were the most usefull thing that has come from the DNA testing.

Like I told Dr Beever shortly before he blocked emails from me, the work he is doing is having a huge effect on the beef industry and when they come out and make statements they really need to be right. I believe the work he did with the AHA on the IE research was so politically slanted that some of the statements that were made were false and they may have been deliberately false.

alexfarms":1iww75vi said:
I think the original DNA tests for tenderness were the most usefull thing that has come from the DNA testing.

Like I told Dr Beever shortly before he blocked emails from me, the work he is doing is having a huge effect on the beef industry and when they come out and make statements they really need to be right. I believe the work he did with the AHA on the IE research was so politically slanted that some of the statements that were made were false and they may have been deliberately false.

:tiphat: You can't tell me he doesn't get a royalty on these tests. What reason would ne have to not keep finding genetic defects to test for.....follw the money it will always tell the truth

For all who didn't think that this incorrect test didn't screw-up the breed well here goes... Found out that some farms had sold donor cows, 10,000 dollar herd sires cut ET calves and cut whole calf crops just for a false positive. Yes the royalties were accepted by the good doctor in question and he probably ins't giving anything up because his good time is worth a lot and everyone else's good hard earn money somehow doesn't measure up to his. So thousands spent on testing and purchases all down the drain for a simply sorry I made a mistake and hurt a whole bred I guess is alright I say (BS) and he should be liable. DONE RANTING....... :bday:

UG":1v5aemp4 said:

So in the mean time they all keep getting paid and like Double V said right or wrong the only answer to tens of thousands of dollars flushed down the drain by Seedstock producers is SORRY.

Like I said i probably will not be buying any tests other than homo polled and color coat in the future.

3waycross":22nfjaq6 said:
UG":22nfjaq6 said:

So in the mean time they all keep getting paid and like Double V said right or wrong the only answer to tens of thousands of dollars flushed down the drain by Seedstock producers is SORRY.

Like I said i probably will not be buying any tests other than homo polled and color coat in the future.

I was told that in the next year or 2 mandatory genetic testing will be required for all service bulls, not just AI sires . I hope to h@ll they have a d@m good test to use by then or there really will be a bloody train wreck for everyone that will be impossible to comeback from !!! :mad: I was going to finish up with testing all my females this year , NOPE !

If these tests are so accurate why is there so much discrepancy between Zoetis and Igenity. I have had a few tested and have found mistakes that the testing company made. They may have been clerical mistakes rather than mistakes on the actual test but either way when you get a result back it should be accurate.

Latest posts