Praying for Hay Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018":2n2kcjuj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2n2kcjuj said:
Ron, our final tally was 130 rolls and I had the acreage wrong, it's 15 not 14.
130 rolls on 15 acres?
That was my reaction. The guy who rolled mine got 6 rolls off an area we estimated was about an acre. It is near the feed area and gets some high organic waste run-on. He said that was an above average stand of grass hay. I averaged about 4.5 rolls per acre. That is about what good hay produces here. TT, you are well above that.

I've been working crazy hours, but tonight is the last night I have to be up til 4am.. We might get some thunderstorms passing through tomorrow, but the hay will all be baled and mostly stacked in the barn.. a good feeling... So far I've got 80,000 lbs of hay from approximately 20 acres, got another 8 acres tonight, 4 of them are so-so, and the other 4 will be the highest yielding, I'm estimating I'll be putting another 35,000 lbs up tonight... I'm a little short of other years first cuts, but I've also never been FINISHED the first cut by june 12th either.. usually it's july by the time it's all done, so I'll be getting better regrowth and hopefully a better end cut, and better fall grazing as well.

Got a little done yesterday, so far about 60 4x5 rolls on less than 10 acres. Probably lack 10 rolls being done then a shower popped up, got it muddy there but 2 miles away at my place it didn't even settle the dust.

we cut 40acs more or less and got about 60 5 by 6 bales.still have about 70acs to cut.but we are holding off hoping itll rain for the next few days.

ALACOWMAN":2y2jvsv9 said:
bigbull338":2y2jvsv9 said:
we cut 40acs more or less and got about 60 5 by 6 bales.still have about 70acs to cut.but we are holding off hoping itll rain for the next few days.
fertilized?
no we dont fertalize.the amount of rolls may go up as we haul in and stack the hay.

OK, made 430 75lb bales last night from about 9 acres, brings my total to about 60 ton off approx 25 acres.. some are in dire need of reseeding and I cut early too.

Around here the cows to the fertilizing, just have to keep up on the harrowing and watering.

I see some equipment moved around, but no one has turned a wheel in the hayfield yet. One of these days, the rain will shut off and then we will get after it. In the meantime, I'm enjoying running the lawn mower 8) 8) 8)

highgrit":3fjrkkyu said:
Hay without fertilizer is not worth feeding. I feel its a waste of time and money.
depends on how you handle your cattle year round.our cattle eat hay and protine tubs in winter as well as salt and minerals.that allows them to breed back in less than 75 days.no we are not on a set breeding.we calve year around.

bigbull338":24pgc9k5 said:
highgrit":24pgc9k5 said:
Hay without fertilizer is not worth feeding. I feel its a waste of time and money.
depends on how you handle your cattle year round.our cattle eat hay and protine tubs in winter as well as salt and minerals.that allows them to breed back in less than 75 days.no we are not on a set breeding.we calve year around.
Your just moving money around,, money spent making up for poor quality hay could be spent on the fertilizer to begin with...

yeah $600 a ton fert for 6 tons.then it wouldnt rain loose fert and money to.that money can be better spent.

bigbull338":2o3nz0st said:
yeah $600 a ton fert for 6 tons.then it wouldnt rain loose fert and money to.that money can be better spent.

Bigbull, that can happen no doubt. What I've been seeing is, my cows are doing much better off the hay that we grow. Sure miss not having the plastic tubs though. I've been told that snow is a great fertilizer and soil builder. The way I see it is, It requires the same amount of work to make good hay or poor hay.

glad i have access to a poly coated + sulfer coated prelled urea = no rain , no problem

bigbull338":116hm3pj said:
You'll spend twice as much supplementing low quality hay.

bigbull338":2cs67a5o said:
. Yep if it don't rain, that fertilizer will pack up and move... Money can be better spent to increase yields which only adds money....

20% chance of rain for the next several days. Just finished cutting and the radio just warned of a bad storm with severe weather headed our way. Wonderful news. All I can say is its going to do what its going to do.

10290633_1457938457837382_9199654552452493355_n.jpg

Latest posts