Praying for Hay Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I am praying for 3 to 4 days of hay weather. The Big Man probably is not likely to do much for me given my profile. Maybe someone else in my area, more deserving, is praying for the same thing and I will benefit. On the other hand, he may send one huge cloud to just rain on my hay.

Your not going to have a good forecast anytime soon. I looked at the radar map and y'all have no relief in site. Heck we might even get another rain next week.

He who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be delivered, the Lord has the power and he has the victory, prayer is the key to heaven. Amen!

I just sectioned off my hayfield with hot wire . I'm turning the cows in an acre at a time until they graze it down . The Bermuda grass runners are 4 ft long and the grass is matting up and dieing . I have to get it off the field one way or another .

Be nice if u could send some of that rain on my way. Things are drying up around here. Weather man said this is one of the dryest Mays on record.

inyati13":v806tl6x said:
I am praying for 3 to 4 days of hay weather. The Big Man probably is not likely to do much for me given my profile. Maybe someone else in my area, more deserving, is praying for the same thing and I will benefit. On the other hand, he may send one huge cloud to just rain on my hay.

I see a Youtube video in the making

We drove all the way across Oklahoma the other day and saw only one field rolled. And, it had been done weeks ago because it obviously rained after it was rolled and too wet to move, grass had already grown around the bales. Drove south yesterday, no hay being cut.. Its a repeat of 2009...shortage of hay due to rain. No way we can even get in the fields for weeks if the rains stop today.

pricefarm":234jip3s said:
Be nice if u could send some of that rain on my way. Things are drying up around here. Weather man said this is one of the dryest Mays on record.

It was dry here until the last week. The problem we have is there are daily forecast for thunderstorms and it rains for only an hour and stops. Yesterday we got 1.1 inches in 15 minutes.

Good news on the forecast. They have taken down the daily thunderstorm predictions for next week. I am going to try to get mine in.

James T":1dlc1e9a said:
inyati13":1dlc1e9a said:

I see a Youtube video in the making

I am expecting to make a YouTube of an earthquake opening up and taking my whole farm. :D

Hey Ron....don't stress over your hay too much! I haven't made a bale of first crop yet. Some years I have 250 bales made and inline wrapped by the first of June.

Ron, being north of you by a couple hundred miles I feel your pain. I am a very small producer but I have the same problems of the big timers. I have come to the realization that making perfect rain-free hay around here is nearly impossible. I just got done mowing my best field in a slight drizzle after a Thunderstorm. I Tedded it out before sunset and plan on baling wednesday afternoon. I will be applying Freshcut plus hay preserver with my hillbilly applicator I rigged up on my small baler with a 59.99 sprayer I bought at the local ag store. I experimented with the headlands and baled them a little green but sprayed them with the Freshcut acid and those bales are as green and good smelling as any I've ever seen. I'll try to post some pictures in my next post. Good luck Ron.

Here's the $60 sprayer i rigged up on my small baler I put it on a toggle switch and there's 2 nozzles one on each side of the bale chamber and i just turn the pump on when i'm in a green windrow. It's not rocket science but By Golly it works.

Got half my hay in. Good quantity and quality. Plan to have it tested. Got another 8 acres to go, this week is a continuation of the same weather pattern. So far, so good.
fbcapx.jpg

xprl3r.jpg

122ye4k.jpg

2nusutl.jpg

n2cu2g.jpg

wb2j9y.jpg

We have a stretch of good weather here... I cut about 25 acres in 2 days, it's drying really nicely... Now my baler just needs to run right!

TennesseeTuxedo":cacs44wb said:
tom4018":cacs44wb said:
TennesseeTuxedo":cacs44wb said:
Ron, our final tally was 130 rolls and I had the acreage wrong, it's 15 not 14.
130 rolls on 15 acres?

That's what they are telling me. I'll confirm next weekend in person.

I was there last Saturday for the cutting and it was over 3 and 4 feet tall.
What size roll was it?

Latest posts