Powerstroke or Duramax?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":3pzxj5n5 said:
I heard that the 2007 have a 6.4 is that true?

I don't think the 6.0 was a success. They are going to try again.

I don't know why they went away from the 7.3. It is awesome.

Good luck.

Wewild":zowrg3qm said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":zowrg3qm said:
I heard that the 2007 have a 6.4 is that true?

I don't think the 6.0 was a success. They are going to try again.

I don't know why they went away from the 7.3. It is awesome.

Good luck.

I know. I wish they still had the 7.3 If they would made them a little less noisy it sure wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":11acealv said:
I am going with ford. I am gunna call over there tomorrow. I heard that the 2007 have a 6.4 is that true? Guess I will ask tomorrow. Never heard this til today at the co-op. But I am gunna get that Ford tomorrow or early next week I guess.

Since you've done all the work, if you feel like offering your impression of the Duramax v. Ford I'd feel like listening. Soon be time to trade myself.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":1w8ke73m said:
I drove an 06 cummins while back and my cheeks went to flappin. I don't know about Dodge though. I have just heard so much about the 4 wheel drive problems and the transmission problems and the body problems..... I just ain't sure yet.

When I owned my performance shop, I dealt with a few thousand diesel owners of every breed. The Dodge 4WD system since 2002 has been bullet proof, and the automatic, when not abused by towing in OD, is a decent transmission. The NV5600 6 speed is second to none, and the G56 will no longer be used in 2007. The NV241HD transfer case in the Dodge is rated for more torque than either Ford's or Chev's. About the worst problem with the Dodge 4WD system was pre-2002, when they used a vacuum actuated central axle disconnect system. The vacuum lines could crack or simply get pulled off, disabling the hub. Pop the line back on, or replace the hose, and you're away. Also, the hybrid 70/80 axles used pre-2003 were the highest torque axle available in a 2500 or 3500 series truck. The corporate axles in use now are only SLIGHTLY less capable, which still places them above or equal to Ford.

As for body, you're the first person to mention body problems, and I never saw any serious body problems on a Dodge, unless the owner had installed aftermarket goodies on the sheetmetal without properly protecting the hole. But then a Ford or Chev will do the exact same thing.

My point with this rant? Be careful who you hear things from, especially on the internet. Having driven all of the big three's trucks, I can honestly say they each have their own strong points and alot boils down to owner preference.

Anyway, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Personally, I'd go with a D-max, if my only other option was a Ford, since the 6L is not reliable, even with the lastest injector change up. The new Siemens injection system should be rock solid, however its awfully new to really tell.

Rod

There is one issue that will keep me from ever buying another chevy - turning radius. Always remind me of the song "give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"

dun

Mine's a 6.0, Had a couple of the 7.3

The reason they got away from the 7.3 was our wonderful Federal Government EPA!!

There is a little take off power difference between the two, and this F450 that I have now I went with a little higher gear ratio and that gives a little better fuel mileage but, slower takeoff with a heavy load.

DiamondSCattleCo":9bqhqitk said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":9bqhqitk said:
I drove an 06 cummins while back and my cheeks went to flappin. I don't know about Dodge though. I have just heard so much about the 4 wheel drive problems and the transmission problems and the body problems..... I just ain't sure yet.

When I owned my performance shop, I dealt with a few thousand diesel owners of every breed. The Dodge 4WD system since 2002 has been bullet proof, and the automatic, when not abused by towing in OD, is a decent transmission. The NV5600 6 speed is second to none, and the G56 will no longer be used in 2007. The NV241HD transfer case in the Dodge is rated for more torque than either Ford's or Chev's. About the worst problem with the Dodge 4WD system was pre-2002, when they used a vacuum actuated central axle disconnect system. The vacuum lines could crack or simply get pulled off, disabling the hub. Pop the line back on, or replace the hose, and you're away. Also, the hybrid 70/80 axles used pre-2003 were the highest torque axle available in a 2500 or 3500 series truck. The corporate axles in use now are only SLIGHTLY less capable, which still places them above or equal to Ford.

As for body, you're the first person to mention body problems, and I never saw any serious body problems on a Dodge, unless the owner had installed aftermarket goodies on the sheetmetal without properly protecting the hole. But then a Ford or Chev will do the exact same thing.

My point with this rant? Be careful who you hear things from, especially on the internet. Having driven all of the big three's trucks, I can honestly say they each have their own strong points and alot boils down to owner preference.

Anyway, didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. Personally, I'd go with a D-max, if my only other option was a Ford, since the 6L is not reliable, even with the lastest injector change up. The new Siemens injection system should be rock solid, however its awfully new to really tell.

Rod

Rod...he's right on. If I was you, I'd make a point of driving ALL 3 of them, and add. I currently have a DMAX with 130000 miles. My son-in-law has just gone thru a Dodge with 200000 miles, and now has a new Dodge dually. A good friend has a 2005 Ford 6.0. The DMAX runs stronger than the other two, weakness...perhaps the front suspension. The plus, is the turning radius, but to carry a load, the front is not as stong as Dodge. I really like the Allison transmission. Never been a Dodge fan, but I admit...I like the Dodge with the Cummins, it hauls a load very well. It was a manual transmission, I'd be concerned with their automatics. Friend with the Ford, wishes he had bought a Dodge after spending some time pulling a backhoe around, and especially after another friend with a Dodge hooked it up for a short trip.

But...do yourself a favor, and don't rule any of them out without driving each one.

I have a 2003 dodge with high output cummins and stick and not a problem at all. It too has a wide turning radius, but heck, I get practice backing it up. For a big guy it has the most leg room, and the rear seat area can be nicely turned into a flat floor for lugging stuff around :roll:

Billy

I would buy a dodge IF they would build something heavier than a one ton dually. You can't beat an F450 for carrying weight on a daily basis. I was scaleing 37,000 lbs. last weekend and the hills I was going across were steep and the slowest I went was 55mph and the turbo was singing. The 450/550 size Fords is what steers some people away from the dodges. If your looking at a one ton why not spend the few more dollars for all that weight carrying capacity?

Latest posts