powdered colostrum

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
i rarely can get a new calf to take a whole bottle of powdered colostrum at one sitting. The package says "use entire contents when first opened." why cant i mix up half in the morning and half in the afternoon? will it not be any good if i leave it sitting out that long? what if i mix it all up and the calf takes half? is the rest any good if it is refrigerated until later in the day?

Imagine the calves that the colostrum companies forsee downing all that stuff!

Never seen it, I always do it in 2 doses. The stuff is too expensive to waste.

Now the door is open to all the experts. :lol: :lol:

If youv got to bring a calf into camp and hand feed it you best just eat it.
ifen your close to the house have some one run it to town and bring back what you need from the money. a feller can waste his self a heap o time taken after 1 calf when he should be out looken after the herd. now cooky calls me a ****ing son of a bitch and always brings along some o that powder thinken we might find a live one. i seen him keep it in the creek after mixen and use it again a time or 2.

ALACOWMAN":1ai1l26w said:
use half at a times never had a problem left it in the refrigerator

That's what we do, too. We've never had a problem, either.

to clear things up cooky never called me a be nice he never called me nice at all just a ****ing son of a bitch or boss. i dont have any idea what went wrong with this dang machine i never put in them words be an nice.

ONLY-BEEF":3cv9hg44 said:
to clear things up cooky never called me a be nice he never called me nice at all just a be nice son of a be nice or boss. i dont have any idea what went wrong with this dang machine i never put in them words be an nice.

The forum software edits out any discernable swear words and substitutes 'be nice'.

thank you msscamp. now dont i look like it was my paw that was pitchen hay with the kin! ha.

No problem. It's a little disconcerting at first, but you'll get used to it. :lol: :lol: :lol: It took me a little while to figure it out.

msscamp how does a person go about puten them smile faces on the screen? i checked my typen board and i dont have em.

ONLY-BEEF":2dd4soy0 said:
msscamp how does a person go about puten them smile faces on the screen? i checked my typen board and i dont have em.

When you click the 'post reply' button, look to the left of the window that pops up. There will be a bunch of different little faces. Just click on the one you want! :) It will be inserted into the text of your reply where ever your cursor is when you click on it.

only-beef when I first started to use the internet it was a big learning curve. I am glad to see you are taking the plunge.

AngusLimoX":zl2g3768 said:
Imagine the calves that the colostrum companies forsee downing all that stuff!

Never seen it, I always do it in 2 doses. The stuff is too expensive to waste.

Now the door is open to all the experts. :lol: :lol:

Well , once again old ALX is eating his words!

Second last heifer to calf dropped me a 95lb calf this morning. Calf wouldn't get up and had the shakes so I took her to the barn and gave her a bottle of powdered colostrum and she took 2 bottles in 15 minutes!

Suspect white muscle so needling selenium and vit E
into her hopefully be fine tommorrow.

Once again, there are no absolutes in animal husbandry!
:lol:

I have al awful hard time getting that stuff to mix in one bottle. Even stops up the blender. Too thick! I always give a bottle of it to babies I buy at sale because I never know what they had from their mammas and I want to make sure.

I will try giving it in two bottles next time.

Lammie":26nebftc said:
I have al awful hard time getting that stuff to mix in one bottle. Even stops up the blender. Too thick! I always give a bottle of it to babies I buy at sale because I never know what they had from their mammas and I want to make sure.

I will try giving it in two bottles next time.

I don't know if this will work for all brands or not, but I wash out an empty gallon milk jug real well and use that. I find that the extra room to shake the h--- out of it generally works pretty good to get it mixed up - just remember to loosen the top a couple of times during the shaking process to vent the pressure (depending on the brand, type of jug, and what you're mixing - it is possible to blow the lid off. :( ). Just my thoughts.

Latest posts