Calf may have not got colostrum ? What now?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Thought everything was ok with this calf, found calf with momma on Wednesday morning. Checked that afternoon, they were together and both up. It acted ok but never saw it nurse. Yesterday afternoon I checked and it seemed weak. Put them in the corral and gave it some Kick Start supplement. Any suggestions? I know this calf will have a tough time, just wonder if there is anything else to try. Figured colostrum at this time may be a waste.

I'd give it if you have it. Did the calf get on a bottle? Have you started bottle feeding it?

I've had plenty of calves that go no colostrum.
Got them at 3 days old with empty bellies never been fed. They are all alive and well.

cowgal604 said:
I'd give it if you have it. Did the calf get on a bottle? Have you started bottle feeding it?

I've had plenty of calves that go no colostrum.
Got them at 3 days old with empty bellies never been fed. They are all alive and well.

She has had 3 packs of the kick start. Takes it good. Tried to get her to nurse cow with no luck but just started with her going to keep trying but giving bottle to make sure she gets something.

Milk the cow and give it to the calf in a bottle. That will help keep the cow in milk. Keep them together and just keep trying to get the calf on the cow. It will get the hang of it eventually.
I'd give the calf some Multi-min90, and AD&E. Just to give it a boost.

tom4018 said:
Thought everything was ok with this calf, found calf with momma on Wednesday morning. Checked that afternoon, they were together and both up. It acted ok but never saw it nurse. Yesterday afternoon I checked and it seemed weak. Put them in the corral and gave it some Kick Start supplement. Any suggestions? I know this calf will have a tough time, just wonder if there is anything else to try. Figured colostrum at this time may be a waste.

We have had that happen about a week ago too, it was getting border line for colostrum but gave it some anyway hoping for the best. I had some vitamin b complex so gave it that too.

SBMF 2015 said:
Milk the cow and give it to the calf in a bottle. That will help keep the cow in milk. Keep them together and just keep trying to get the calf on the cow. It will get the hang of it eventually.

Yes. I'm also a fan of Nursemate ASAP and a little molasses inside the calfs' mouth.

If the calf will suck your finger, I generally get it latched on then guide the calf to a teat, switch out my finger to the teat while supporting the calf in position with my legs.

The calf really needs colostrum within the first 6 hours; after 24 hours the gut begins to close and doesn't absorb the antibodies.

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Yes. I'm also a fan of Nursemate ASAP and a little molasses inside the calfs' mouth.

If the calf will suck your finger, I generally get it latched on then guide the calf to a teat, switch out my finger to the teat while supporting the calf in position with my legs.

The calf really needs colostrum within the first 6 hours; after 24 hours the gut begins to close and doesn't absorb the antibodies.

When I need it, my maturnity pen is hands down the best piece of equipment I own.
I hadn't ever heard of using molasses, but it makes sense. I just get the cow in and squirt some milk in my hand then stick my fingers in the calf's mouth. I'm to tall (lol) so I sit on a bucket to balance the calf and have both hands free to get the calf nursing.

Some improvement as of this morning. Been giving some electrolytes and supplement. Gave some colostrum anyway, figured the extra nutrition couldn't hurt. Been giving her Bovi serum. Here breathing sounded a little raspy so gave some resflor. She got to the point that she didn't even want to take the bottle but did this morning and finally got her to nurse the cow.

Daughter noticed last night that one of her eyes is cloudy. Wonder if her vision is impaired hurting her ability to nurse some.

I always give Clostrum even if the calf is 3 days old and is about dead from not getting any Clostrum, they have all lived so far. Even a completely blind calf can learn to nurse its mom.

Still fighting this calf. Nurses the cow but is scouring bad. She is not energetic or playful like most calves her age. Her breathing sounded raspy to me. She has had about everything but the kitchen sink. Longest running case of scours I think I have ever had. She seems to have some fight in her and acts somewhat better, not sure if it is time to give up or keep trying. Really don't want to have to put her down.

Scours, off feed somewhat, raspy breathing......

Doe it have snotty nose in am, weepy eyes ?

Scours is one thing, but when weak it allows other problems to develop, sounds like respitory disease has started.

Take temp, see if it is above normal, call vet with all the above info, she prob needs antibiotics.

greggy said:
Scours, off feed somewhat, raspy breathing......

Doe it have snotty nose in am, weepy eyes ?

Scours is one thing, but when weak it allows other problems to develop, sounds like respitory disease has started.

Take temp, see if it is above normal, call vet with all the above info, she prob needs antibiotics.
She has had antibiotics a few times and different ones. I guess a vet might have some input but the way the only local one charges I would have more in the calf than she is worth. I hate to sound that way but sometimes this comes down to money.

All my calves cost me more than they are worth, let along the ones that got or get sick.

I had one who went off, I just fed her by tube and a course of anti biotics, took about 3 weeks of hard work, but she is fine now, just setback a month.

tom4018 said:
She has had about everything but the kitchen sink. Longest running case of scours I think I have ever had.
That is most probably why she is scouring so severely. If she is nursing cow now I would lay off of all medication and supplements and just monitor closely.

The old standby rule is to give electrolytes only to dehydrated calves until they are up and going and to not mix with milk. Therefore I found this bit of information interesting, clipped from a vet website:

) Milk- fresh cow's milk has recently been advocated to be the best source of energy for a scouring calf.
Dextrose, found in commercial oral supplements, is suspected to be an inferior source of sugar and
energy compared to milk. Therefore, consider mixing up to one third of oral electrolytes with fresh milk.
Old theory's about milk feeding the infection have been proven false. Energy is very important to a
scouring calf.
Note: if the average scouring calf is 110lbs(50kg) and is 10% dehydrated then it will be short 5 L of fluids in
its body. If it continues to have diarrhea, it continues to lose fluids and the fluids need to be replaced.
(50kgx10%= 5kg=5L of missing bodily fluids)
Antibiotics:
If a virus is the cause of the scours, antibiotics will not kill the virus. It is still a good idea to give antibiotics
to a calf because if the intestines are very badly damaged, some of the normal bacteria in the intestines can
get into the bloodstream and make the calf very ill or lead to joint ill or meningitis (brain infection)
Some of the common antibiotics used are:
Borgal ( 3cc/100#IM daily)
Nuflor (6cc/100# SQ – good for four days)
Resfor (6cc/100# SQ- nuflor plus Banamine)
Neo/ Sulfa bolus / Sulfa Sure bolus (2 bolus/100# Orally)

Calf is nursing cow good now and seems to be slightly more energetic. One thing that concerns me is a cloudy eye, it cleared up then the other one got cloudy and then the one that cleared up got cloudy again. The last couple days I only been giving her some probiotics.

I would suspect BVD or a some bacterial infection like Septicemia. The cloudy eyes are secondary to another problem. Was the herd bull and cow vaccinated for BVD?

alisonb said:
I would suspect BVD or a some bacterial infection like Septicemia. The cloudy eyes are secondary to another problem. Was the herd bull and cow vaccinated for BVD?

Yes both were vaccinated. Is there anything you would suggest doing for her? To me the calf acts a little dumb for a lack of better phrase.

Think you have meds covered, I wouldn't give anything else at this stage unless she is no longer drinking off cow.

Is she still sucking? One of the first signs of Meningitis is a slowing down of sucking reflexes. They also seem to extend their neck and stare into space.
You may want to check all the leg joints and navel for signs of swelling/infection. Check in her mouth and 'eye lids' and see if she has red veins/membranes. Take her temperature.

Let us know or phone your vet if necessary, she may need a more aggressive antibiotic...good luck!

Latest posts