Preferred Colostrum Replacer Product

Help Support CattleToday:

I keep "calfs choice total hical colostum" on hand during my calving season. I read an article about what to look for in a replacement colostrum and it checked all the boxes. It is made by Alta Genetics USA. Can't say that I have had any problems with it but the best alternative is to get some fresh colostrum from a local dairy farm and freeze it until you need it.

I always have Colostrx CR replacer on hand. Why? Because that's what my vet uses. My very first preemie got very little colostrum, born in a sleet storm. Took her to the vet first thing in the morning and he tubed her with Colostrx. She's now bred with her 9th calf & I've treated her once for foot rot.

Appreciate your response Dsth. Calving problems are a rarity so opportunities to collect colostrum within herd are all but nil. Nearest dairy is ~ 100 miles away. Thanks again for your input.

I keep "calfs choice total hical colostum" on hand during my calving season. I read an article about what to look for in a replacement colostrum and it checked all the boxes. It is made by Alta Genetics USA. Can't say that I have had any problems with it but the best alternative is to get some fresh colostrum from a local dairy farm and freeze it until you need it.
Years ago, got colostrum from a local dairy, but was told that is high risk due to the greater possibility of Johne's in dairy herds. So, stopped doing that. Not sure of the risk, but sure don't want Johne's.

Years ago, got colostrum from a local dairy, but was told that is high risk due to the greater possibility of Johne's in dairy herds. So, stopped doing that. Not sure of the risk, but sure don't want Johne's.
This! My best friend had 2 registered Gelbvieh bulls that had Johne's from the same breeder. They were turned out on an old dairy lot as weanlings. Colostrum from a dairy is a gamble I'm not willing to take.

Colostrix, Sav A Calf, and Land O Lakes all make good colostrum replacers. As a general rule, anything you can buy for less than $30 a bag shouldn't be considered.

I've tried many brands. They all work. I believe the higher the IGH the "theoretically" better. The higher IGH products tend to be priced higher.

The only real difference I've noticed is some mix easier/better than others. Keep a good whisk on hand.

I used to faithfully use Colostrix, and still think it is a great product. However, two years ago when I was stocking up before calving season Colostrix was on back order. My PBS rep suggested Calvikick. She said that they uses it on there farm. So I went with her recommendation and have been extremely happy. It checks all the boxes, and mixes easy. IMG_20201103_051040_hdr.jpg

Latest posts