Potential keeper?

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
This is the only RAx heifer that caught my eye this year.
1/2 RA, 1/4 Limi with a dash of Brahman, age 3 months

Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

P4230436.jpg

P4230437.jpg

her dam (getting some age on her, 15 yrs. or so)
P4230444.jpg

her 15yr old momma is raising a keeper thats for sure.you can tell that calf is growing good.

Not a bad looking heifer. I would like to see her a little stronger across the back and a little more level from hooks to pins. Also looks as if she lacks some depth, but overall an attractive female.

With all that said, if her dam is 15 and still raising good calves for you, that could be a good indication of what this heifer calf might do for you. She has a Limi look to me. Don't see any reason she won't work for you in your operation.

milesvb":quotcvca said:
This is the only RAx heifer that caught my eye this year.
1/2 RA, 1/4 Limi with a dash of Brahman, age 3 months

Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

I think she looks good. At the very least a potential keeper.

ALACOWMAN":13hj2yx3 said:
have you retained any heifer's from this cow?

One from the Brahman bull that's decent and one from a Charolais bull that ain't worth a darn but that's more attributable to the bull since most of his heifers turned out to be either hard doers or had poor fertility.

I have a select few cows that I want to keep heifers from if I like the bull they're bred to. Unfortunately most are getting old and have a bad habit of spitting out one bull calf after another (yeah, yeah, I know that's technically the bull's fault but that's how my luck runs).

A little narrow from behind and I would like to see her a little thicker across the top.

Hard to say at 3 months....I would evaluate her again at 6 months.

Yes 6 months it will much easier to judge how she will look.........she is not absolutly a perfect calf but hey i would keep her :D

TexasSimmentals":15zqlfgx said:
Yes 6 months it will much easier to judge how she will look.........she is not absolutly a perfect calf but hey i would keep her :D

I'll almost bet that raquel welch didn;t look like much at 4 years old. We put them on the tentative list till they're weaned, then the pretty sure list till they're yearlings. Calves go through so many stages that the one that looks crappy at one stage may be an eye popper at another, and vice versa

dun":4r3ke0i5 said:
TexasSimmentals":4r3ke0i5 said:

I'll almost bet that raquel welch didn;t look like much at 4 years old. We put them on the tentative list till they're weaned, then the pretty sure list till they're yearlings. Calves go through so many stages that the one that looks crappy at one stage may be an eye popper at another, and vice versa

Dun, These kids on here don't know who Raquel Welch is, you're going to have to use names like Paris Hilton in the future.

rocket2222":3fcr7hq5 said:
dun":3fcr7hq5 said:
TexasSimmentals":3fcr7hq5 said:

Dun, These kids on here don't know who Raquel Welch is, you're going to have to use names like Paris Hilton in the future.

Carrie Underwood works best for me. ;-) :nod:

rocket2222":83cncwgt said:
dun":83cncwgt said:
TexasSimmentals":83cncwgt said:

Yes you are going to have to use more "current" names......I have NO idea who Raquel Welch is.....

rocket2222":i9pq7q0m said:

Why would I use the name of a hotel in france?

Dun, These kids on here don't know who Raquel Welch is, you're going to have to use names like Paris Hilton in the future.[/quote]

Yes you are going to have to use more "current" names......I have NO idea who Raquel Welch is.....[/quote] :shock: :shock: [SEARCH] Raquel Welch on the Internet! Ever hear of Marilyn Monroe?? I guess this is a good example of why "Learning" and "Educational Principles" have to go through a series of re-runs every few years, because "Knowledge" seems to be a factor which successive generations refuse to attempt to retain!! And it makes NO difference that FACTS ARE FACTS! Just because your grandparents and parents knew a FACT was true - Sheeesh! That doesn't mean squat doodly! What the heck do THEY know?? :???: :dunce: :?

It is easier to disbelieve something than to accept a theory on Faith only!

By the way - YES! Keep the heifer - but use knowledge and insight in selecting the bull which will sire the progeny. This is a heifer which shows high potential at three months. She will go through many changes before she is a mature producer, however I think she could be a fine brood cow IF bred to bulls whose phenotype and genotype characteristics would be complimentary to hers. ...and the particular breed is not as critical as the combined genetics. Refer back to my first paragraph in this post on the subject of "Knowledge".

DOC HARRIS

dun":2djlughf said:
rocket2222":2djlughf said:

Why would I use the name of a hotel in france?

:lol: :lol:
After I read your post, I had to ask the wife if I got her name right :roll: :)

Keeper. Any heifer out of a 15 year old cow that looks like that is a keeper.

Latest posts